3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Help with supplements

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
restart 5/27/14
 
jemma51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: high desert Ca.
Posts: 434

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Help with supplements

I am doing IP with alternatives. Never been to a clinic. My question is about supplements. I tried to search and am havibg trouble finding what info I need.

I purchased
multi-vit
Cal-mag plus zinc, 1,000mg calcium,400mg magnesium, 25mg zinc,sodium 10mg
Potassium 595mg ( potassium gluconate)
Omega Red (krill oil)

question is how much to take and is this potassium the wrong kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I sometimes don't feel so good on this diet and wonder if it's that I'm not getting the right amount of minerals and such.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
Member
 
earthecho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 43

Default

Double check to make sure your multi is both vitamin AND mineral.

Most people are vit D deficient and you need D to absorb calcium. Just double check you're getting at least 400 IU (some recommend much more).

Your potassium intake looks okay. Too much is deadly and so is not enough. One or 2 of those pills a day should be fine. The type of potassium you're taking sounds exactly what I take every day. I had symptoms of deficiency (daily toe cramps that never seemed to go away) and they completely went away after taking 2 of these pills a day.

Your pill regimen looks good to me. I'm no expert, but several years ago I looked up all this stuff and what's on your list is pretty much what I take.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Trying to be in the 160s
 
IanG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 4,420

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default

I'm not on IP (thank God and all that is good).

But iron can be an issue with most diets, especially for ladies. I take a multivitamin that includes iron. You might want to check yours if iron is ever an issue with IP (I don't know. Do you guys eat steaks, spinach, mussels, octopus?).
__________________

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.
If the bar ain't bendin', you're just pretendin'!

Last edited by IanG : 11-04-2013 at 03:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Suchawittygal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 286

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

Default

I'm taking Potassium Citrate
__________________


for each 10# lost!

Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
restart 5/27/14
 
jemma51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: high desert Ca.
Posts: 434

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthecho View Post
Double check to make sure your multi is both vitamin AND mineral.

Most people are vit D deficient and you need D to absorb calcium. Just double check you're getting at least 400 IU (some recommend much more).

Your potassium intake looks okay. Too much is deadly and so is not enough. One or 2 of those pills a day should be fine. The type of potassium you're taking sounds exactly what I take every day. I had symptoms of deficiency (daily toe cramps that never seemed to go away) and they completely went away after taking 2 of these pills a day.

Your pill regimen looks good to me. I'm no expert, but several years ago I looked up all this stuff and what's on your list is pretty much what I take.
Thank you fotbyour reply. I was worried about the potassium . I don't want to take too much.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
restart 5/27/14
 
jemma51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: high desert Ca.
Posts: 434

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchawittygal View Post
I'm taking Potassium Citrate
I had read that somewhere else on here but can't find it. I couldn't find them potassium citrate in my market. I don't know what the difference is between them.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,064

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma51 View Post
I am doing IP with alternatives. Never been to a clinic. My question is about supplements. I tried to search and am havibg trouble finding what info I need.

I purchased
multi-vit
Cal-mag plus zinc, 1,000mg calcium,400mg magnesium, 25mg zinc,sodium 10mg
Potassium 595mg ( potassium gluconate)
Omega Red (krill oil)

question is how much to take and is this potassium the wrong kind. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I sometimes don't feel so good on this diet and wonder if it's that I'm not getting the right amount of minerals and such.
I've learned recently if you take krill you should take fish oil too. I need to revisit the reasons why...get high quality, medical grade fish oil to endure it isn't rancid

Potassium citrate 99 mg is the IP version
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
Lost 95 lbs on IP!
Link to weight loss Photos

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
galpal445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 163

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Default

I would be interested in knowing why we are advised to take fish oil in addition to krill oil. This link to a Dr Oz show talks about krill oil and how it is superior to fish oil and should be used instead of fish oil. One reason was because the fish don't actually manufacturer Omega 3, they get it from the krill they eat.

This show aired in February. Has something new come out since then about the need to take them both?
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dise...=2180628843001

Thanks!
__________________
________________

My blog: http://idealproteinjourney.wordpress.com/


Last edited by galpal445 : 11-05-2013 at 12:29 PM.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
restart 5/27/14
 
jemma51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: high desert Ca.
Posts: 434

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by galpal445 View Post
I would be interested in knowing why we are advised to take fish oil in a addition to krill oil. This link to a Dr Oz show talks about krill oil and how it is superior to fish oil and should be used instead of fish oil. One reason was because the fish don't actually manufacturer Omega 3, they get it from the krill they eat.

This show aired in February. Has something new come out since then about the need to take them both?
http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dise...=2180628843001

Thanks!
I was under the understanding that Krill oil was better than Fish oil
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
galpal445's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 163

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Default

Me too jemma. That is the reason I had asked Lisa the question.
__________________
________________

My blog: http://idealproteinjourney.wordpress.com/

galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 59

S/C/G: 223/198/160

Height: 5'7

Default

Hi all, Im about out of my supplement supply I got at the consultation, is it necessary to take all 9 still? They are just so expensive to buy so wanted to make sure they are actually helping in my weight loss before i buy more at my WI today
kelseys928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with constipation, TMI sweetnlow28 Weight Loss Support 20 06-25-2010 12:04 PM
any diet supplements proven to help with weight loss? Q&A from Shape Suzanne 3FC Does it Work? 42 10-04-2005 11:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2