Old 11-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #1  
Started IP 10/30/13

S/C/G: 273/248/150

Height: 5'1"

Default Using Health Savings Account (HSA)

My husband and I have a health savings account with a Mastercard debit card that we use to pay for prescriptions, medical bills, etc.

I had seen someone mention them being able to use their HSA to purchase Ideal Protein products. I went to our website and it specifically says that you cannot use the card to purchase food.

I had my husband call and check and they said that if the doctor wrote a note saying that this diet was medically necessary due to obesity, then to hold on to the receipt and if the IRS ever audited us, we would show them that. However, I am not sure if the guy fully knew he was talking about, given the website stating no food was covered.

Has anyone had success using their HSA without the IRS raising eyebrows over your purchases? Has anyone ever been told no after the fact and maybe been penalized or anything?
itzroxy814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

IP can in fact be purchased with HSA or FHA funds. Unlike other diet plans, it is medically supervised, so therefore, it qualifies. But, CYA....get the note and hold onto it with the receipts.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #3  

Here....trying to find a bit more detail for you, but THIS is on a doctor's website
Old 11-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #4  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
Here....trying to find a bit more detail for you, but THIS is on a doctor's website

Great, thank you!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #5  

HAH! FOUND IT! Per the IRS guidelines:

Weight-Loss Program
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group as well as fees for attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

You cannot include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses because the diet food and beverages substitute for what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs. You can include the cost of special food in medical expenses only if:

1.The food does not satisfy normal nutritional needs,

2.The food alleviates or treats an illness, and

3.The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet. See also Weight-Loss Program under What Expenses Are Not Includible, later.

SOURCE

Last edited by zoesmom; 11-06-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275/239/175

Height: 5'2"

Awesome info. I was wondering the same thing.
exesparz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7  
Started IP 10/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
HAH! FOUND IT! Per the IRS guidelines:

Weight-Loss Program
You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group as well as fees for attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

You cannot include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses because the diet food and beverages substitute for what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs. You can include the cost of special food in medical expenses only if:

1.The food does not satisfy normal nutritional needs,

2.The food alleviates or treats an illness, and

3.The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet. See also Weight-Loss Program under What Expenses Are Not Includible, later.

SOURCE
You are awesome, thank you!!!