PT Interesting Info:

• Yesterday I had an eval for what my family calls a limmpy walk...there is a strong family history of hip issues...and my younger siblings have already had a total of 4 hip replacements ... as well as both of my parents each having had one replacement. So with that pressure from all of them and my DH, had a gait eval. I have been saying it's not my hip..it's my knee...and leftover problems from a broken foot 8 years ago.

(One sister{only is 56 has had 3 replacements already, is the family expert on this} and is always the one to make everyone else laugh...told me in July...(You either got a bum hip sis ... or you're still walking like a fat lady...)

The Bad News- It is my hip
    The Good News (not really...) I was also right about my knee...
    Other news..Low Back..SI issues.

Great Physical Therapist ...he is checking out my exercise location to see what he can add to my routine and is developing some core strengthening exercises we'll be doing together at the PT site for the next 6 weeks, and thinks we can "fix the giddy-up"...as he says.

INTERESTING INFORMATION:

He said with weight loss a lot of issues surface that often require PT. The extra weight we carry around actually works as a brace for and support muscles and skeletal foundation... most people who lose a lot of weight probably have some problems afterward that PT could help. I recall a few weeks back a discussion about tail bone pain, lower back and jaw discomfort...as sources of aches that seem to have appeared as some hit goal or close to goal.

So losing the weight may bring things up that need to be, and probably CAN be taken care of. It makes sense to me. And convinces me the other problem I had was related to losing all that girth.

Any resident PT folks on here?? Weigh in on this??? (LOL)

I'd do it again tho' in a heartbeat.
  • This is very interesting. I am having low back and hip issues too. Pilates is what helps me most, as well as seeing a chiropractor. He told me I was just getting old. Hey. I am only 54!
    It is great that you shared this information!
  • Quote: He said with weight loss a lot of issues surface that often require PT. The extra weight we carry around actually works as a brace for and support muscles and skeletal foundation... most people who lose a lot of weight probably have some problems afterward that PT could help. I recall a few weeks back a discussion about tail bone pain, lower back and jaw discomfort...as sources of aches that seem to have appeared as some hit goal or close to goal.
    Interesting 65. My boss (who lost 120 lbs on IP) went in to see his doctor because he was having a lot of pain in his shoulders and hips after the weight loss. The doctor told him that "fat is a lubricant" and he sees the problem often in people who have lost weight. He put him into PT and it has really helped. I think building the muscles and giving him a chance to learn how to carry himself without all the weight has made all the difference.
  • Quote: This is very interesting. I am having low back and hip issues too. Pilates is what helps me most, as well as seeing a chiropractor. He told me I was just getting old. Hey. I am only 54!
    It is great that you shared this information!
    Interesting what you added...the P-Therapist wants me to get back into pilates and yoga after we are finished with the prescribed treatment plan. I was doing Pilates and Yoga over the sumer, but when I had the twisted bowel...I sort of pulled back a bit on any additional twisting and stretching I was doing until that got resolved. I'm glad to know it is recommended, (and now seconded!! ) and can't wait to get back into that.
  • So, it might be best to start exercising to build muscles before tackling the weight and then to work out throughout the weight loss phase to maintain muscle mass?
  • Quote: So, it might be best to start exercising to build muscles before tackling the weight and then to work out throughout the weight loss phase to maintain muscle mass?
    Guess that depends. I needed to get some weight off so I COULD workout. I was such a wreck.
  • Most of us agree at somepoint one has to start!! ...Losing some weight initially when there is a way to go...is a good tactic. It's motivating...once you start. Initially however, it can be overwhelming and even intimidating.

But Lisa...it all makes sense since your poor back has been an ongoing challenge. The thinner you get...the less tissue support there...sounds like a catch 22....but you know you are going the right way...as DAKS says..."don't look back.."
  • Quote: Most of us agree at somepoint one has to start!! ...Losing some weight initially when there is a way to go...is a good tactic. It's motivating...once you start. Initially however, it can be overwhelming and even intimidating.

But Lisa...it all makes sense since your poor back has been an ongoing challenge. The thinner you get...the less tissue support there...sounds like a catch 22....but you know you are going the right way...as DAKS says..."don't look back.."
    My back has been a chronic issue for years
    Currently, as long as I do my PT exercises religiously, I can be pain-free more days than in pain <whew>
    I knew when I undertook this challenge, it would be a long road back to back health!

When I did Atkins in 2012, I noticed early-on that almost daily exercise kept my aches and pains at bay. It now takes MUSCLE to support what the fat used to support.
  • I remember way back when I was going to PT my therapist told me that faster weight loss is hard on your joints. At the time, I didn't ask for more info but in subsequent years I was wishing I had asked for more details. What your therapist told you is very interesting and kind of answers my question. Thanks for sharing.

PS My SI joint has been a problem for years, and the weight loss has helped so much. My knees and ankles are much much better, too. I broke my left ankle in 95 and have not been able to raise my body up on my toes on the left, the right was always easy. Now I can go up on both sides individually with the same ease. Fun NSV!