3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   How long did you wait before starting to exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/288634-how-long-did-you-wait-before-starting-exercise.html)

MelissaKate73 10-14-2013 07:48 PM

How long did you wait before starting to exercise?

I know some of you exercised from day one on the program because you already had an established exercise routine. But for those of you who either didn't exercise before or who stopped exercising when you started IP, when did you decide to start doing it?

My coach said to ideally not exercise (or exercise at only a LIGHT itensity) for the duration of phase 1, but I know that many people even at my own clinic do not do this. I haven't exercised regularly in years, and I want to have that habit well established BEFORE I phase off the program......so that means I would need to start exercising while still on phase 1. Is there a time frame that is generally considered a "good" time to start?

Thanks!

MDLoser 10-14-2013 08:04 PM

I started excercising the week I finished P1. I run 3-4x a week. I hadn't excel sided regularity for many years. Now I am in the best shape I have been in since college.

emsmom97 10-14-2013 08:17 PM

I only started IP last week and took a few days off because I was tired, but went back to the gym on day 3. I even worked with my trainer last week. My doctor said to have extra protein on the days I work "hard" at the gym. The only days I consider hard are the days I work with a trainer. The other days, I take it easy and walk on the treadmill at a decent pace or ride a bike. I have my first weigh in tomorrow, so we will see if it is helping or hurting my progress.

Avalon1957 10-14-2013 08:21 PM

i never stopped exercising ... i've been doing 30 minutes every morning on my exercise bike for years ... however I did turn the resistance down a bit.

Justdoinit 10-14-2013 09:31 PM

I had already registered for a 5K 3 months prior to starting the program, so I was sort of obligated to go run with my team. I was not anywhere near my regular time, but I didn't expect to be. And boy, did I need that extra packet! Prior to the program I had been running 4-5 miles 3x/week. I am going to hold off on the running for the time being--pilates and walking will be plenty!

tiggermd 10-15-2013 06:25 AM

I am on week 8 and just introduced light exercise again...I am experimenting with it to see how it goes and if it impacts my weight loss and body composition.

65X65 10-15-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelissaKate73 (Post 4862423)
I know some of you exercised from day one on the program because you already had an established exercise routine. But for those of you who either didn't exercise before or who stopped exercising when you started IP, when did you decide to start doing it?

My coach said to ideally not exercise (or exercise at only a LIGHT itensity) for the duration of phase 1, but I know that many people even at my own clinic do not do this. I haven't exercised regularly in years, and I want to have that habit well established BEFORE I phase off the program......so that means I would need to start exercising while still on phase 1. Is there a time frame that is generally considered a "good" time to start?

Thanks!

My coach suggested to add it between 2-3 months into the program. I was trying to lose 65-70 pounds . My body had adjusted to the diet and was just under the the 1/2 way mark at about a 30 lb loss. It was almost 3 mos to the day since I began IP. Exercise did not negatively impact my weight loss but I feel the inches and my size changed dramatically for the better after that. Very worth it. Size 12s at the exercise starting point in April...down to 0-2 by end of summer. I'd like to lose a few more pounds but I had an illness since labor day that slowed things down.I'm happy with my size. If the scale doesn't change this fall now that I'm better, clothing size may actually be my final determinator that I'm where I should be with out going any lower. The exercise probably did add more muscle and that could be the last few pounds that won't go away. But that's OK as long as my size does not go up!:ebike::wl: Not exercising for the duration of the diet does not help you form that habit...which is needed to maintain. You are going to build that muscle at some point when you start exercising anyway..And I do not believe that IP is proposing no exercise once your body adjusts to the diet.

lisa32989 10-15-2013 07:36 AM

I waited several months but was morbidly obese
If you haven't been exercising at all, give your body time to acclimate to Ketosis (youll know) and then you can add a walk (or similar light exercise)
Increase exercise gradually from there as you feel ready.

Exercise does not increase the effectiveness of IP

cassieleeanne 10-15-2013 11:47 AM

I started about five weeks into the program. At first I did light cardio only about half an hour at a time and have worked my way up to doing about 90 minutes. Let your body rest when it is tired but exercising does make you feel better. I also do water aerobics once a week and I think that was a great way to work out you don't feel as tired afterwards.

MelissaKate73 10-15-2013 03:42 PM

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll wait a few more weeks before I start a light exercise routine a few times a week. If nothing else, I just want to build a HABIT of exercising.

sarahBell 10-15-2013 03:47 PM

we are joining the gym next month, I plan to take yoga classes and have some light work outs and I am getting a trainer too.

kelseys928 10-21-2013 07:37 PM

I am ending my 3rd week on ip and that is when my coach says it is ok to start exercising. As a girl who has always hated working out I am SO excited to start working out! I am growing nervous because I thought that would help speed up my weight loss but from what I am reading many are saying it slows it! Someone clue me in!

65X65 10-21-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelseys928 (Post 4867325)
I am ending my 3rd week on ip and that is when my coach says it is ok to start exercising. As a girl who has always hated working out I am SO excited to start working out! I am growing nervous because I thought that would help speed up my weight loss but from what I am reading many are saying it slows it! Someone clue me in!

GOOD FOR YOU ... being eager to add another healthy habit!
It definitely helps with toning and forming the life-long habit that needs to happen for maintenance. Some who hate exercise, like the thought they can put it off, since no one says it speeds things up. Putting it off until you are entering maintenance just gives you one more thing you will need to learn to manage and adjust to, as you are trying to balance your weight loss with a healthy life for the future. Getting started now will slay one more demon for you!

Initially it is not really recommended you begin exercising on a protein sparing fat burning diet to protect your muscle mass. Once your body adjusts to the low calories it's running on, you are good to go. Some say it could slow your losses, but actually that is only if you exercise at a high intensity, causing muscle (which weighs more ) to build faster than you are losing a comparable amount of fat. The recommended level to start is light...building to moderate. Light cardio, with some additional strength and resistance training are suggested. Some IPers like to start with walking. Others with a light gym routine, circuit training.

Check out the "Maintainers thread...post #349". There are some links about moderate exercise, and Mayo Clinic information in there.

Best of luck...congrats for thinking ahead!:running::strong::bike2:You know you gotta do it at some point!

amt6 10-22-2013 10:45 AM

I started IP in May, and just started exercising a few weeks ago. At first I was thrilled with the notion of not being allowed to exercise, but as I started to lose more and more weight and feel better about myself, I actually felt like I wanted to see what this new body could do. So I started Couch to 5k (a run/walk program) a few weeks ago. I am thrilled to push my limits and see how far I can go. I have noticed my losses slowing down, but that could be for a million reasons, including exercise and the fact that I am getting closer to goal. I feel great and that's all that matters. :running:

Bellamack 10-22-2013 12:14 PM

65x65 is correct. It is recommended to go light. I had rotator cuff surgery 11 weeks ago, so I am going to PT for that and rebuilding my arm strength. I have bad knees that also need some cleaning up so I haven't been doing my usual cardio for a few months now, I can't wait to get back to it. I am someone who has always loved exercise and it is killing me to not do it. Kind of depressed about it!