Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 642 (IPstart 395.4)/226.2/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Sick, mentally craving comfort food

So I've caught the worst head cold and it's quickly moving into my chest, and been taking dayquil (gelcaps) which contain sorbitol, not sugar sparingly. I'm trying not to get discouraged that this is going to kick me out of ketosis. I've been 100% OP since starting (this is my second week), and since my first weigh in (at 6 days OP) I've had a loss of 17.4lbs.

With feeling so miserable, I have no appetite, no desire really to eat anything, but I know that I have to eat to keep up fat burning. I've choked down pudding, and soup in order to stay OP, but all I really really want is hot drinks, crackers, and toast.
Things I've done so far: Liquids: decaf coffee, fat free chicken broth, an assortment of herbal caffeine free teas. IP Foods: soups, drinks, and puddings mostly (None of the premade things, they're so disgustingly sweet, I can't tolerate them). Veggies: Cauliflower has become my go to veggie. I've been steaming it, then throwing it into my food processor to puree it. Once pureed, I can add to soups so I'm staying OP. The only thing I haven't managed was last night I didn't have any lettuce; it just wasn't happening.

Any tips for staying OP when you're not 100% physically and emotionally?Thanks in advance!
Kawaii1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default Being sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii1002 View Post
So I've caught the worst head cold and it's quickly moving into my chest, and been taking dayquil (gelcaps) which contain sorbitol, not sugar sparingly. I'm trying not to get discouraged that this is going to kick me out of ketosis. I've been 100% OP since starting (this is my second week), and since my first weigh in (at 6 days OP) I've had a loss of 17.4lbs.

With feeling so miserable, I have no appetite, no desire really to eat anything, but I know that I have to eat to keep up fat burning. I've choked down pudding, and soup in order to stay OP, but all I really really want is hot drinks, crackers, and toast.
Things I've done so far: Liquids: decaf coffee, fat free chicken broth, an assortment of herbal caffeine free teas. IP Foods: soups, drinks, and puddings mostly (None of the premade things, they're so disgustingly sweet, I can't tolerate them). Veggies: Cauliflower has become my go to veggie. I've been steaming it, then throwing it into my food processor to puree it. Once pureed, I can add to soups so I'm staying OP. The only thing I haven't managed was last night I didn't have any lettuce; it just wasn't happening.

Any tips for staying OP when you're not 100% physically and emotionally?Thanks in advance!
First of all, congratulations on your weight loss so far. That represents a real commitment. I am sorry that you are feeling so sick. I know that that is a time when you deserve to be spoiled and that is when our Moms would always make us something special to make us feel better.

I hope some of the cooks on here can give you some advice about comfort foods to help you along. I love my soups and puree just about anything and then add different spices each time. I get it good and thick and hot. I have added the cream of mushroom soup to the purees to get the protein in and that thickens them and makes them more substantial.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Awww I am so so so sorry you are feeling so crummy

You can make a very IP friendly soup using boneless skinless chicken, fat free low sodium broth, and veggies from the IP list.
OR You can sautee and them steam some of the veggies and add in an IP soup packet for a nice thick soup that fills you up!! I know that crackers and toast will hit the spot, but if you have any of the crisps or crunchy IP snacks try using one with your soup.

Also put on some vicks on your chest and beathe deep!

Hope you feel better soon
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #4  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Take care of youruself, sorry to hear about your sickness!!!

Do the best you can, and it sounds like you are trying a lot of things.
Soup is good when you are sick and get a lot of rest. I find having any sort of steam helps when you have anything chest related. Boil a pot of water and put some rosemary in it and inhale. The cheese and broccoli soup is really good if you haven't tried that already.. Take Care!

Last edited by Jojo381972; 10-14-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #5  

My go-to when I'm sick with a cold/sinus-type thing:

Roast a whole chicken.
remove the skin & throw away (most of the fat is here)
Take the meat off the bones
Throw all the bones back in a pot to make the stock (or just buy some fat free broth)

chop celery, leeks, bok choy, mushrooms (2 c raw veggies for every 6 oz cooked meat your have)

Strain the stock.
Throw the veggies back in & cook them. Then chop the meat & throw back in. Season as you desire (I use garlic salt/pepper in EVERYTHING plus poultry seasoning in this soup)

I'll have half for lunch and half for dinner. I may even cook some additional veggies just in the broth for my other 2 c. veggies. That way I can have cold IP drinks for snacks (when sick, I prefer the orange or peach mango, personally, maybe even blended with ice for a slushie)

Making the soup may take me several tries b/c I don't feel good and I'm tired but it is oh-so-good and soothing when I'm done.

Shortcut: buy a rotisserie chicken. I don't buy them b/c they have usually been injected with a solution that contains sugar.

I have to make my own broths b/c most commercial broths have MSG, which gives me migraines. Luckily, I always have broth in the freezer so when I throw the carcass in a pan for broth, it is for my NEXT batch of broth.

Wishing you well!

Oh.
And stay off the scale. Any illness will increase inflammation, which is water weight. Just ignore the scale until you feel better.

And remember: lettuce is unlimited but not required.

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-14-2013 at 02:18 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #6  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

Take care of yourself, and go easy on yourself. Try your best to stay on plan, but don't beat yourself up for not getting lettuce in. I know when I'm sick I can't stomache the lettuce. Veggie purees are a perfect way to get in your veggies, and the soups are great. Drink lots of water. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Soups, broth, tea, any warm drink helps me a ton when I have a cold. Get lots of rest, and feel better soon. The Dayquil gelcaps won't kick you out of ketosis, so don't worry about that.
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 642 (IPstart 395.4)/226.2/160

Height: 5'7"

Thank you so much everyone!!!! I'm resting, reading, and getting a plan together for when I'm feeling better. I love to cook, so it's been fascinating to see all the ideas that others have come up with. This community is great!
Kawaii1002 is offline   Reply With Quote