Old 10-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 185/139.5/145

Height: 5' 4"

I am glad this thread was posted. I woke up this morning disappointed as I had a glass of wine last night and yes a fatty piece of meat. The scale reflected my cheat and it just reaffirms my need to not go off plan. Ultimately it is me I am hurting and after losing 14 pounds and one size down I need to reset my head on this diet. I guess my thought was after four weeks on plan it was not going to affect it too much, but I learned a valuable lesson! That being said I forgave myself and laid out my foods today and back to plan.No sense focusing on the negative and beating myself up further, that will only send me into the emotional cycle I was in before and I never want to go back there.
katenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #47  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

If anyone can go off plan and lose weight, more power to them. I'm envious!!

But I am addicted to exponential losses like these (48 pounds and 9 inches off my waistline in a bit over 2 months).
This is much more of thrill for me and what's possible if you stick with the plan 100%.

That being said, any pound lost is a good thing, no matter if it takes a day, or a month. For me, I would much rather do it in a day!

But, hey, whatever works for you! I don't begrudge anyone their successes, no matter how small.

Ultimately, we are all here trying to get healthier, look better, and improve our lives, and that is a noble cause no matter how you slice it.

But I will say this, at least for me, that cheating has always been a "slippery slope" and ultimately has led me to a dieting fail -- and I have finally learned from my past dieting mistakes. But that is just my own personal experience of it.

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-09-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #48  

Whew...maybe the word cheat should not be used...figuring out how to eat to be healthy and maintain one's desired weight is extremely complicated. Doing the best I can each day is my goal. Some days are more challenging than others. Varied perspectives offer different ways to think about one's own situation. Play nice.
swerdna59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #49  

S/C/G: S/C/G 202/190.2/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerdna59 View Post
Whew...maybe the word cheat should not be used...figuring out how to eat to be healthy and maintain one's desired weight is extremely complicated. Doing the best I can each day is my goal. Some days are more challenging than others. Varied perspectives offer different ways to think about one's own situation. Play nice.
Amen!
Milli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #50  
Serial Dieter

I was simply using the word that the OP put forth in their original post. It's not my word, it's theirs (note the title of this thread).

Peace

Last edited by Avalon1957; 10-08-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #51  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bindersbee View Post
I'm a 90%er and proud of it! I am thankful that the OP posted the "cheating hierarchy" because it matters to me as well. I ended up going rouge at a luncheon last week at an out-of-state conference. I wasn't about to make a fuss about the meal that was served in front of the other 10 professionals at my table. Maybe some on this thread would see making such a fuss as a badge of honor but it would have been unprofessional in the setting I was in. I am sure others, both professionals and SAHMS alike, have found themselves in similar settings, and having to make similar choices.

Sure, my weight loss stalled a bit as a result of that choice (the natural consequence) BUT I applied conscious thought to what I was eating, excluded the things I could (no bread) and did the best I could in the situation. I also got right back on plan immediately after and learning how to do THAT is the most important skill I think I will learn on my entire weight loss journey.

I am not in a race to some imaginary finish line. There IS no finish line and getting into that mode of thought is dangerous for long-term success (I know because I've done that one, more than once). Losing more weight a few weeks faster isn't more important to me than living my life in the present- I am living now (which means going out and being part of the world), not putting it off until I am thin and "worthy". That's MY choice and it's a totally legit one even if it's not what others might choose.

And now because the response to this thread has pissed me off, I will also go so far as to add that eating unconsciously is why we're all here. I personally think that the hard-core "don't-you-dare-ever-fall-short-of-the-mark-or-your-failing" is just to opposite side of the same food obsession coin that landed us in fatland in the first place. Switching the focus of the obsession doesn't cure it- the same thought processes are still at work. I don't think I should be ruled by a preoccupation with cheesecake or an obsession for foil packets.

I applaud the poster for trying to apply the IP concepts beyond the foil-wrapped packets to the world that some of us live in. I am sure making conscious food choices and weighing the potential cost/value of the choices will help her in the maintenance phase that I hope to reach myself- EVENTUALLY.

I love the idea of a 90% thread! We're all on a different path and the RIGHT way to do it is what works for the individual involved. Some will get there through the relentless pursuit of perfection and others of us will get there the 90% route- if a little slower. To each his own!
I would definitely be interested in a 90 percent thread.. I have looked through the low carb threads, but really I am trying to following IP alternative protocal most of the time.. so a 90 percent thread would be a great alternative to the alternative lol.. the Atkins one isn't appropriate and the low carb isn't terribly active ..cheers
Clarington45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Why are we not allowed to have one thread on this forum where we can talk about this freely without backlash? I am respectful enough not to post in the 100% thread- as I am not 100% the majority of the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2do View Post
jmanovich - is there another forum somewhere where you don't have to be so politically correct all the time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
There should be a 90% thread for those of us that don't pick the carrots out of bagged salad yet continue to lose weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
We could make this that thread. the 90%...for all of us who eat the carrots in the bagged salads!!!!!!!!! And I thought I was the only one who did this on IP! haha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
Thanks. I would start a 90% thread, but I don't have the energy to deal with how some may react to that.
Quote:
I love the idea of a 90% thread! We're all on a different path and the RIGHT way to do it is what works for the individual involved. Some will get there through the relentless pursuit of perfection and others of us will get there the 90% route- if a little slower. To each his own!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarington45 View Post
I would definitely be interested in a 90 percent thread.. I have looked through the low carb threads, but really I am trying to following IP alternative protocal most of the time.. so a 90 percent thread would be a great alternative to the alternative lol.. the Atkins one isn't appropriate and the low carb isn't terribly active ..cheers
With all of the interest in a 90% thread, why hasn't someone taken the time to start one? It really isn't that hard and only takes a few seconds to do.
There definitely seems to be an interest in one and would avoid some of the drama.
Princess Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #53  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

If you're really active, the calories on IP are too low and additional calories are necessary or else you go into starvation mode and metabolism drops. IP is not designed like WW to compensate for activity so, the rule is keep exercise at a minimum. I'm not advocating cheating but, if you're going to have extra food, the IP plan is to use 1 extra pack, meaning 4 IP rather than 3 IP for the day. For me, reg salad dressing is worse than meat because it has dairy and sugar (carbs). I'm on alternate but, for other health reasons have decided to not eat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, or any product with whey or casein). Also, no grains (wheat, corn, etc.) -- this is for my body only not advocating it for others. IP helped me realize I have a sensitivity to milk proteins and it causes acne, body pain weirdness. I am doing an alternate plan but, weight loss is slow. I envy those who can tolerate the IP products

Here's my hierarchy:
1 Extra unrestricted protein packet
2 Fatty meat – ribeye, strip, NY steak
3 Off plan vegetables like artichoke hearts (why not just have more on plan veggies?)
4 Extra restricted IP bar
5. Regular salad dressing – Ranch, blue cheese, caesar

(Would not even go there, while trying to lose weight, on the rest of this list because of calorie density and/or sugar but....)
6 Nuts
7. Fat free dairy - skim milk, yogurt, cottage cheese
8 Fatty dairy – cheese, sour cream, cream cheese
9 Complex carbs – brown rice, potatoes, oat meal, corn, beans
10 Sweet sauces - barbecue, teriyaki, cocktail
11 Simple carbs – white bread, white rice, pasta
2. Sugar + Fat – doughnuts, French fries, ice cream

Last edited by sekc14; 10-08-2013 at 09:22 AM.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #54  
Serial Dieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekc14 View Post
If you're really active, the calories on IP are too low and additional calories are necessary or else you go into starvation mode and metabolism drops.
You know this is exactly what I thought when I started! And was one of the reasons I delayed doing this diet for more than a year. My BMR was around 2400 calories a day when I started and all my doctors told me 900 calories was too few. After 18 months of floundering on my own, I thought what the heck and gave IP a try and proceeded to lose almost 50 pounds in a bit over 2 months ... WITH NO PLATEAUS for the first time in my life (on any diet).

Quote:
IP is not designed like WW to compensate for activity so, the rule is keep exercise at a minimum.
I did continue my exercise bike and yoga ball all through IP (even at the beginning) but I did turn down the resistance on my bike to 8 (out of 20) and I was doing 12.

Quote:
I'm not advocating cheating but, if you're going to have extra food, the IP plan is to use 1 extra pack, meaning 4 IP rather than 3 IP for the day.
I totally agree with this! I have done this on a few days. Either that or an extra 4 oz of lean protein. I dont actually consider that "cheating" since it keeps your body carb/sugar deprived (which is the whole point of IP).

Quote:
For me, reg salad dressing is worse than meat because it has dairy and sugar (carbs).
Yes exactly, stay away from carbs and sugar, and you are on the right track!

Quote:
I'm on alternate but, for other health reasons have decided to not eat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, or any product with whey or casein). Also, no grains (wheat, corn, etc.) -- this is for my body only not advocating it for others. IP helped me realize I have a sensitivity to milk proteins and it causes acne, body pain weirdness. I am doing an alternate plan but, weight loss is slow. I envy those who can tolerate the IP products
Sorry to hear about your food allergies -- I can't tolerate soy, which removes about 80% of all IP foods. I've lost most of my weight on the Chocolate Drink, which just has Milk (Whey) which I can tolerate well.

I agree that sometimes you have to fine tune things a bit to get things working with your body, but I have to admit that there is something "magical" about the 900 calories and the severe limiting of sugar and carbs that just caused the fat to BURN/MELT off my body in an unbelievable way without any of the "starvation mode plateaus" that seem to plague other diets and dieters.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #55  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

90%ers may also be interested in The Simple Diet thread, "Dr. Anderson's simple diet" or the "General Meal Replacement Thread" (all meal replacement users welcome) in the Prepackaged main forum.

I started the latter because I don't fit into any of the "name brand" plans 100% and while the simple diet thread is very accepting, the thread is small and less active.
Than bigger, better known plans

Last edited by kaplods; 10-08-2013 at 01:03 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #56  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

@ 2much2do --- I'm sorry your post was taken out of context, I just wish if someone doesn't have anything good/encouraging to say just to refrain themselves but not they are there like they are the IP judges, ready to condem or set you free... That's the reason many people are lurking and not really pouring their struggles so they can get the help/advice needed to keep going... You don't need to explain yourself why or why not, obviously some people don't get it, I also do understand is part of the written communication, no feelings, so it's hard, but some people just need to mind their own business and keep doing whatever works for them, and know that no one wants to hear from if they are going to judge..... Can we bann people of the thread? it'll be awesome! Keep the great work, do what's best for you, in the end it's all what matters!
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
I'm a 90%er and proud of it! I am thankful that the OP posted the "cheating hierarchy" because it matters to me as well. I ended up going rouge at a luncheon last week at an out-of-state conference. I wasn't about to make a fuss about the meal that was served in front of the other 10 professionals at my table. Maybe some on this thread would see making such a fuss as a badge of honor but it would have been unprofessional in the setting I was in. I am sure others, both professionals and SAHMS alike, have found themselves in similar settings, and having to make similar choices.

Sure, my weight loss stalled a bit as a result of that choice (the natural consequence) BUT I applied conscious thought to what I was eating, excluded the things I could (no bread) and did the best I could in the situation. I also got right back on plan immediately after and learning how to do THAT is the most important skill I think I will learn on my entire weight loss journey.

I am not in a race to some imaginary finish line. There IS no finish line and getting into that mode of thought is dangerous for long-term success (I know because I've done that one, more than once). Losing more weight a few weeks faster isn't more important to me than living my life in the present- I am living now (which means going out and being part of the world), not putting it off until I am thin and "worthy". That's MY choice and it's a totally legit one even if it's not what others might choose.

And now because the response to this thread has pissed me off, I will also go so far as to add that eating unconsciously is why we're all here. I personally think that the hard-core "don't-you-dare-ever-fall-short-of-the-mark-or-your-failing" is just to opposite side of the same food obsession coin that landed us in fatland in the first place. Switching the focus of the obsession doesn't cure it- the same thought processes are still at work. I don't think I should be ruled by a preoccupation with cheesecake or an obsession for foil packets.

I applaud the poster for trying to apply the IP concepts beyond the foil-wrapped packets to the world that some of us live in. I am sure making conscious food choices and weighing the potential cost/value of the choices will help her in the maintenance phase that I hope to reach myself- EVENTUALLY.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this post!!!
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #58  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peacock View Post
With all of the interest in a 90% thread, why hasn't someone taken the time to start one? It really isn't that hard and only takes a few seconds to do.
There definitely seems to be an interest in one and would avoid some of the drama.
Probably wouldn't be a good idea for you to step up and start one........ It seems ppl will be delighted to have you as their leader,
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I would never speak for anyone else, but I often wonder if some of the "older and wiser" IP'ers are trying to prevent "cheats" from becoming a slippery slope.

I have chosen to be 100% but I wonder if any of you have started with regular salad dressing, saw you still lost that week so figured you could have bacon and continue losing. Then you did, so peanuts were thrown into the mix. Then shredded carrots weren't picked out of your salad, then an extra restricted and so on.

Just something to ponder.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

I came across this thread today and I am so sad to read some of the posts in here. I can see some of you are dedicated 100% OP and have intentions of deviating off it and to those who can do that I bow to your strength and dedication to be able to do that.........I wish I had that will power even at 3 1/2 weeks in I still don't.

My whole OP went to pots sunday while I was down seeing what was left of my childhood home. I have never been so heartbroken over something like this. I could not bring any of my stuff with me (except my 1 restricted) because there was no power, no way to heat/cook any packet. The red cross was handing out food and nothing was IP friendly. I sat on the stump of what use to be our weeping willow tree and cried and cried, I was handed a bottle of water and a sandwhich. I had not eaten since Friday afternoon, Saturday I could hardy eat anything I was so sick with worry after seeing the news from back home and that the tornado was a mile wide, 162 mph winds that split into 2 as it destroyed 3 houses on the gravel road.
And I ate something on our way home that was not OP for IP at all, because that is what we could find.

So yes I blew this week to **** I think, but I am trying like mad to get back OP, it is hard since I am stil lgrieving the loss of my parents house, my parents and neighbors are now homeless (staying in a hotel or with friends)

So if I get ripped for eating what I could I am so sorry
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote