3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   IP Weekend Chat Sat 10/5 - Sun 10/6/2013 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/288302-ip-weekend-chat-sat-10-5-sun-10-6-2013-a.html)

KareVT 10-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolasmurf (Post 4855595)
:hug: sweetheart. so sorry to hear of your families loss. But remember it's just posseisions. No one was injured or killed that is a blessing. Im sending love and light to you and yours.

sarahbell- So dreadfully scary and thank goodness everyone is safe; both people & animals. Sending prayers to your family and all of the rest. Stay strong and keep the faith.

*sorry for the name typo earlier.

Gemmstar 10-05-2013 12:40 PM

I have a question for anyone that can offer some insight. I have been on ideal protein since June. I am losing slowly but steadily, however I never register ketones on ketostrips. What am I doing wrong. Could it be the Splenda I use in coffee? It is the only thing I use that may have A trace of carb in it, it i can't believe such a small amount would prevent ketosis. Does release of ketones slow down after being on the diet awhile? Any insight on this topic would be much appreciated.

Meeshellee 10-05-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemmstar (Post 4855626)
I have a question for anyone that can offer some insight. I have been on ideal protein since June. I am losing slowly but steadily, however I never register ketones on ketostrips. What am I doing wrong. Could it be the Splenda I use in coffee? It is the only thing I use that may have A trace of carb in it, it i can't believe such a small amount would prevent ketosis. Does release of ketones slow down after being on the diet awhile? Any insight on this topic would be much appreciated.

I once heard ketosis compared to pregnancy. Either you're in it or you aren't. You can't be a little bit pregnant, if you're in ketosis you're in it, doesn't matter the color on the strip.

sarahBell 10-05-2013 12:48 PM

thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers. My uncle sent a really choppy video- everything is gone :(

BUT mom, dad, nephews and pets are safe!

65X65 10-05-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahBell (Post 4855555)
Good morning ladies If you can call good,

lastnight I called my mom around 6:15pm to see what was new. She told me there were some really nasty storms down there and there was a tornado that hit emmerson, ne with multiple vortices.

We were heading to the football game so I let her go. Then after the national anthem I checked my phone to see if DH has called (he came back home to get a few things then come to the game) my sister called 5 times back to back.

I called her back my parents house, the neighbor up the road and at the end of the gravel road (they live in rural IA) was hit by a tornado!!! I wanted to throw up right then and there when my sis told me.

The house is gone, so are the neighbors. No fatalities or injuries. I am just sick to my stomach and I have no appetite to eat. I need to go there today just to be there even if I can help clean up I am just there for them!!!
My dad called at 8am asking if we were coming down.

I am just in tears, yes the house is going to be rebuilt BUT this just takes the cake in crap that can happen to people!

SarahBell..so glad no one is missing or injured, but the devastation and the close call have to be a major source of pain. So sorry and hope you get to go and hug them ASAP. All of us at 3FCs send our best.

1LittleStar 10-05-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahBell (Post 4855630)
thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers. My uncle sent a really choppy video- everything is gone :(

BUT mom, dad, nephews and pets are safe!

So sorry to hear! How devastating. Happy to hear everyone is safe.

sarahBell 10-05-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65X65 (Post 4855635)
SarahBell..so glad no one is missing or injured, but the devastation and the close call have to be a major source of pain. So sorry and hope you get to go and hug them ASAP. All of us at 3FCs send our best.

Thank you. I talked to my dad the house is a 100% loss. BUT there are so many people out helping them and the neighbors clean up, salvage things. Dad is getting a storage trailer Monday for what they have left and a Dozer to start pushing the trees down and debris into a pile. This is so heart breaking :(

1LittleStar 10-05-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemmstar (Post 4855626)

Here's a quote from Scorbett about Ketostix:

Ketostix (urine tests) are essentially useless because 1) if you're drinking enough water the ketones will be diluted to the point where they barely register on the sticks and 2) after a few weeks your body gets more efficient at using ketones for energy so they will barely register.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...g-ketones.html

Zictory75 10-05-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxy (Post 4855517)

I decided I deserve a daily reward for my hard work. Not monetary, but physiological rewards and motivation....today's reward, putting on my old way too big jeans and looking at myself in the mirror. It will bring a huge smile to my face and that's my reward! Arrogant maybe, but in this case it's all about the new, improved me!

Have a good one:hug:

This is awesome! I love thinking of it as a reward. This morning I put on jeans and realized they were starting to look bad because they are so baggy! These were jeans I stopped wearing this summer because they were too tight. From now on I am going to start thinking of this as a reward---grewat suggestion!!!!

Zictory75 10-05-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahBell (Post 4855645)
Thank you. I talked to my dad the house is a 100% loss. BUT there are so many people out helping them and the neighbors clean up, salvage things. Dad is getting a storage trailer Monday for what they have left and a Dozer to start pushing the trees down and debris into a pile. This is so heart breaking :(

Much love to you and yours. So happy to hear though that the community is pulling together. Long journey but your family is clearly not alone.

Gemmstar 10-05-2013 01:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I feel a lot better now. I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out what I was doing wrong!

Zictory75 10-05-2013 01:31 PM

Update

So after yesterday's weight gain my doc switched me to a different magnesium, added herbal tea (for constipation) and increased my water intake.... I am already down 2.5 (from a 3.5 gain) in about 24 hours. However I can tell I am still retaining water... Anyone have any suggestions? I was wondering if there are any herbs that are good for water retention.

sonolady 10-05-2013 01:48 PM

:hug: Sarahbell :hug: sorry to hear of your families homes, thats a tough one... but at least everyone is safe including the pets. Everything can be rebuilt, its just "stuff".

Annik 10-05-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

So after yesterday's weight gain my doc switched me to a different magnesium, added herbal tea (for constipation) and increased my water intake.... I am already down 2.5 (from a 3.5 gain) in about 24 hours. However I can tell I am still retaining water... Anyone have any suggestions? I was wondering if there are any herbs that are good for water retention.
Zictory,

I use the ip tea. Not sure if it helps with water retention but it does seem to help overall.

I use one tea bag a day. Make it in a 2 litre thermos and drink it throughout the day with some stevia. On weekends or evenings -- when I have access to my freezer -- I also add some frozen ginger 'broth' cubes.

Annik

MelissaKate73 10-05-2013 02:10 PM

Thanks to all for your helpful replies! This board rocks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4855507)
Great discussions this morning!

LOL @ the FEC omelet description!!! ROFLMAO
So, fake eggs are gross. Pure and simple. I don't buy omelet packs anymore. 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites = 1 omelet packet (shhhh....don't tell your coach) and it is REAL food!!! And actually, calorie-wise, 2 whole eggs = a FEC packet (fat is a little higher in the eggs).
When I did buy them, I ALWAYS added veggies: mushrooms, bell peppers, onion & a dab of salsa on top.
Oh yes...cook those omelet packets SLOWLY or they really dry out.

Some coaches say go no more than 4 hours without eating, others don't. My day works out in the 4-5 hour range. Remember, we are burning fat. It is okay to be a little hungry. We won't starve. What is more important is to NOT just eat veggies alone, which can increase blood sugar faster than eating with protein. The insulin spike is NOT what we want.

Have your third packet when it works in your day. If I'm having a late dinner, my 3rd packet is an afternoon snack. If early dinner, 3rd packet is around 8 pm

Thanks, Lisa for your insight. It can't be said enough about how helpful and inspirational you are to us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetScrumptious (Post 4855514)
If I were to substitute the 1 egg + 3 egg whites in place of an omelet packet, would I still count the "real" eggs as 1 of my packets for the day?

I wondered this, too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4855524)
Yes. Equivalent to a packet in fat/carbs/cals.
Shhh...your coach won't like it. Takes $$$ from her pocket.

Thanks again. It'll be our little secret. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak1lls (Post 4855525)
The restaurants vary, but for lunch I find that the Subway Chopped Veggie salad is great. I like to select spinach and iceberg with green and banana peppers, pickles, cucumbers and tomatoes. I make my own dressing; either grapeseed oil and apple cider vinegar, or Italian (you can google recipes for homemade I talian and sub items that aren't IP compliant). You can buy the small silicon travel dressing bottle and it is handy to take in with you. I love going to a Mongolian grill where you pick your own veggies and sauces (I use soy, ginger, and garlic). If it is "my own protein" meal, I will pick a meat or seafood to go with it.

If I am eating at my desk I will take a baggie with a mix of field greens to work (kale, spinach, Swiss chard, etc...) and drizzle my own dressing in the baggie. I eat it right out of the baggie. You can add any veggies you prefer to the salad, chopped peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc...I usually bring a big dill pickle as well and sometimes a hard boiled egg. For my packaged protein I will have variety of options: bbq soy puffs, white cheddar crisps, chili lime soy puffs, RTD drink, liquid concentrate flavored drink.....
Sometimes I use the puffs or crisps as croutons.

If you have the muffins, or any item made with veggies added, just count the amount of veggies towards your total needed. Also, count the protein packet you used as well.

Melissa: I have found I can go longer between meals than when I first started, but everyone is different. As someone else mentioned, listen to your body. If I start to feel weak or shaky and my next meal is a ways off, I will eat a bite of my snack, a hard boiled egg, have my protein drink, gnaw on some veggies; usually a dill pickle, etc... As you progress through this IP adventure you will understand signals your body is sending and anticipate what to do.

I LOVE Genghis Grill! (Don't know how widespread they are, but they are a mongolian stir-fry place. ) I hadn't thought about it much in regards to IP, because I'm intimidated by all the sauces and not knowing which ones are "safe" for IP. Are soy, ginger, and garlic all one sauce? Or a combination of different ones? Historically I've always used the ones that were terrbile for you....now I will go research which (if any there) are 100% legal. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahBell (Post 4855555)
Good morning ladies If you can call good,

lastnight I called my mom around 6:15pm to see what was new. She told me there were some really nasty storms down there and there was a tornado that hit emmerson, ne with multiple vortices.

We were heading to the football game so I let her go. Then after the national anthem I checked my phone to see if DH has called (he came back home to get a few things then come to the game) my sister called 5 times back to back.

I called her back my parents house, the neighbor up the road and at the end of the gravel road (they live in rural IA) was hit by a tornado!!! I wanted to throw up right then and there when my sis told me.

The house is gone, so are the neighbors. No fatalities or injuries. I am just sick to my stomach and I have no appetite to eat. I need to go there today just to be there even if I can help clean up I am just there for them!!!
My dad called at 8am asking if we were coming down.

I am just in tears, yes the house is going to be rebuilt BUT this just takes the cake in crap that can happen to people!

So very sorry to read this! Your family will be in my prayers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalWolf (Post 4855566)
I have the same motivator it is a great one! My hubby will be home in two weeks. Can't wait to show off my -56lbs!

WOW! That's awesome!!!! Does he know you've been dieting?