3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 12

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #16
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to a "wedding" this weekend. It's in quotes b/c the couple got married at city hall earlier this year. They are still doing the whole thing....
Anyway...
I digress...
I bought a GREAT dress yesterday at Ross. I neglected to take a pic. It'll work at the wedding and with a jacket for work, as well. Plus, it's wrinkle proof! Love those!
I think I'm still going down sizes in this stall (haven't weighed in a bit either). I've been solidly in 16s. This one is a 14. I started in 24
Sticking with the plan still works, even if the scale doesn't

Last edited by lisa32989 : 10-08-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #17

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I'm going to a "wedding" this weekend. It's in quotes b/c the couple got married at city hall earlier this year. They are still doing the whole thing....
Anyway...
I digress...
I bought a GREAT dress yesterday at Ross. I neglected to take a pic. It'll work at the wedding and with a jacket for work, as well. Plus, it's wrinkle proof! Love those!
I think I'm still going down sizes in this stall (haven't weighed in a bit either). I've been solidly in 16s. This one is a 14. I started in 24
wooo hooo good for you Lisa!!!! 14's
Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #18

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

This was so far done in the depths it took me awhile to find it! Where is everyone?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #19

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

glad to see someone check in, seems no one visits this thread anymore.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #20

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Anyway...
I digress...

WHHHOOOO-Hooooo!
Lisa....just seeing this...SO great! SIZE MATTERS!! Hope you have a great time..sure you'll look smashing...get a picture!
Old 10-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
One of the things that excites me the most as I approach 60 is that being on IP means I can buy clothes that are truly me! Being overweight for so long, I know that there is not much in the way of truly stylish, tailored plus size clothes from which to choose when needing something special.

I am now waiting until I grow out of the remaining clothes in my closet (one more size to go) and then I can start to buy a few new-to-me clothes that are more reflective of how I feel inside rather than being determined by my outside.

Fortunately, I am a mile or so from a really nice thrift store so I can peruse their racks frequently for one or two items that make me feel happy and beautiful.

My pledge to myself when I am done is to do away with widow's weed black! Not that there is anything wrong with it except I look terrible in black near my face. However, being so large, I retreated to complete black outfits thinking it would camouflage my bulk. So I may allow a little tailored black pencil skirt, but beyond that I want my happy colors for the rest of my life.

When sizes are smaller, I can actually have a choice of what I want to wear and that will be the great reward for me.
Yeay for you! All so true! I thought I'd not ever buy any more black either...but in reality..what I've done is while definitely added color ... also use color with black AND....(Amazing how black really does slim a thin person even more. UNLIKE not helping a heavier form look any better or less conspicuous.)

So punctuate with Tiffany Blue...Red..Yellow...shades of Purple and White or some metallic bling...gold, silver, pewter or bronze...you'll feel very stylish in black now...not frumpy!

Whatever suits you...just enjoy the shopping...you deserve it!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #22

I really find black paired with vivid colours a very attractive look too. But with my coloring black does not work well especially now as my hairdresser is gradually leaving more of my natural grey in. So navy is my black which works well with colours too. But I am wondering why there are so few ""Little Navy Dresses"available as there are so many "LBDs". I also with there were more options in dresses with a bit of a sleeve. I think the manufactures have everyone brainwashed so they can get away with as little fabric as possible.
Pat
Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I really find black paired with vivid colours a very attractive look too. But with my coloring black does not work well especially now as my hairdresser is gradually leaving more of my natural grey in. So navy is my black which works well with colours too. But I am wondering why there are so few ""Little Navy Dresses"available as there are so many "LBDs". I also with there were more options in dresses with a bit of a sleeve. I think the manufactures have everyone brainwashed so they can get away with as little fabric as possible.
Pat
That's true...navy ANYthing is in short supply! Been looking for nice navy dress pants for a while now.. I love navy!

Interesting about black with your coloring. Wonder if it is complexion rather than hair? That changes too, so I'm told. Actually, I find with my hair turning silver gray... black looks better than ever on me. In fact .... decided to quit coloring all together because natural hair looked better than the fake brunette with frosted/highlights I'd been doing .... which actually turned after about 2 weeks to an old lady red-ish (on me) ..my mom was a real Irish red head, which is great, but my fake washed out red was MOST AWFUL!!!...
Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #24

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/187/160

Height: 5 foot 6

I came across a strange feeling yesterday as I was preparing for a nice business dinner out with my husband. After losing 36 pounds, none of my old clothes fit. I did have some choices of other things from my closet but none of them were the same old "fat" style clothes which I always used to wear.

So I tried on outfit after outfit. They all fit but I was not comfortable in them because the look was different from what I was used to hiding in! I did not "recognize" me in those clothes and so I felt uncomfortable, not sure I could carry them off. I did not identify with my own image.

I did find something with which I was comfortable, a variation on what I used to wear so that I was OK. I know I did look better, my stomach was nearly flat and for one change, I was able to comfortably wear heeled boots which I never was able to do before.

Do not know how to find the clothes for the "me" I am becoming as opposed to who I have been for over 20 years.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenectady View Post
I came across a strange feeling yesterday as I was preparing for a nice business dinner out with my husband. After losing 36 pounds, none of my old clothes fit. I did have some choices of other things from my closet but none of them were the same old "fat" style clothes which I always used to wear.

So I tried on outfit after outfit. They all fit but I was not comfortable in them because the look was different from what I was used to hiding in! I did not "recognize" me in those clothes and so I felt uncomfortable, not sure I could carry them off. I did not identify with my own image.

I did find something with which I was comfortable, a variation on what I used to wear so that I was OK. I know I did look better, my stomach was nearly flat and for one change, I was able to comfortably wear heeled boots which I never was able to do before.

Do not know how to find the clothes for the "me" I am becoming as opposed to who I have been for over 20 years.
That is a real problem that is not often verbalized...but you have captured the "discomfort" precisely. When shopping in resale shops..initially..I was mostly looking for fit. Style and redefinition came once I began buying new. One of the smaller shops allowed me the chance to have a sales person to myself on afternoon, and she soon was in tune to my age, needs and worked with me bringing several outfits...colors and styles I'd never have tried on my own initially. She is my personal shopper in that store now...I rarely go to the department stores... And have worked into a rapport with sales people at several of the smaller shops instead who know me now ( and probably many if not most of their customers by name) and are great at helping me find what works for my lifestyle, age, budget and body type. Now when I go to a few of the upscale resale shops...I'm much better able to help myself because my new style has been redefined. It's more than just looking for something that fits. It's intimidating and getting some help was a good idea for me.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
That is a real problem that is not often verbalized...but you have captured the "discomfort" precisely. When shopping in resale shops..initially..I was mostly looking for fit. Style and redefinition came once I began buying new. One of the smaller shops allowed me the chance to have a sales person to myself on afternoon, and she soon was in tune to my age, needs and worked with me bringing several outfits...colors and styles I'd never have tried on my own initially. She is my personal shopper in that store now...I rarely go to the department stores... And have worked into a rapport with sales people at several of the smaller shops instead who know me now ( and probably many if not most of their customers by name) and are great at helping me find what works for my lifestyle, age, budget and body type. Now when I go to a few of the upscale resale shops...I'm much better able to help myself because my new style has been redefined. It's more than just looking for something that fits. It's intimidating and getting some help was a good idea for me.
Thank you for the ideas, 65X65 - when I get close to my goal where I want to invest some money in real clothes, I may drop in at Nordstrom's and see what suggestions I can get there. Then I can go to the resale shops and know what I am looking for.

I do need to wait for my figure to "settle" into a shape with which I can work. Before, it was anything that actually zipped up. Now my waist is reappearing and I want to highlight that but need some inches off the hips/thighs first to match the waist.

It will be fun to see how this evolves but I hope I do eventually find a style, with help.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #27

Yes 65, it is complexion rather than hair for clothes colours. But actually I think complexion also has to do if the grey hair looks good on a person. many people are striking with the grey hair, especially if it is silver grey. It sort of seems to me that many people in that category had dark hair to begin with. Dark hair seems to go silver.

I went back to my home town this summer because all the girls who were in my class all through scholol were turning 65 this year. There were 32 of us. It was amazing how great everyone looked and a good number had totally grey hair.

About the smaller clothes feeling different, the group that was on IP when I lost most of my weight often commented on that as they got close to goal. Everyone seems to have some favorite things from years back they were so hoping to get small enough to fit in again. Many people were surprised when they got to that point they weren't that comfortable wearing many of them. Our taste in styles change and body shapes change. People enjoyed discovering newer styles that fit their new bodies and way of life.

Last edited by patns : 10-14-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #28

Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions about clothes. It was a funny day when I tried on all these "new" clothes from my closet because I had sooooo many choices and that has not happened to me in such a long time. There was rarely more than 2 choices that I could fit in before.

I have identified part of my uneasy feeling from trying on clothes. I have wore the same 'fat' clothes for so long that I think that image of me is seared in people minds as to who I am.

When I put on a cool and elegant outfit with black trousers (I NEVER worm pants when at my biggest) and a simple black top, both worn with a tailored pale pink (favorite color) tailored jacket, I was afraid of a look that was so very different from "me" that I squirmed a bit.

Changed to a gorgeous soft tan suede maxi skirt with kicky boots and a turtleneck sweater snugged in with a Brighton decorative belt but when I looked at that, did not know if I could "pull" I off, so I took it off.

I am hoping that as time goes on, I get used to the newer body so I am a bit more confident. I guess I kept feeling that people who know me and who knew the much bigger body would be critical or examining of the new look. I guess I have never in my recent adult life (25 years of marriage life) had people look at my body in a positive way so any looking makes me nervous.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies! I'm still here...just been crazy busy riding my horse (I love Indian Summer weather) and canning lots of applesauce & pears and making jams/jellies from the last of my garden's bounty. A little nervous about fresh veggies now that summer has past. Need to buckle down and make sure I'm getting the appropriate amounts of water, oil & salt...got a little lax. The scale hasn't budged, but I went down a size in jeans. Have an awesome week!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #30
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

The dress I told you all about is in my sig
It sure is fun shopping when things fit. But figuring out a styles is a new phenomenon for sure!
I'm still mostly shopping 2nd-hand. I've probably got 20 more lbs before I'm done with P1 for good. But I'm gonna have to give P1 a rest for a while (coming soon) to let my thyroid reset. Anyway, at least at this point I can choose clothes I LIKE and I'm not just going for what fits.

Amazing looking at those pics. I really didn't realize HOW MUCH I'd lost my shape and just become round. DH really likes this new dress

Last edited by lisa32989 : 10-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.