Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 12

You're on Page 16 of 34
Go to
  • Morning all -
    Checking in with Gottobenow how the diet is going for her.
    Like yall talked about I went in my closet - black dress pants and even black jeans.
    Weigh in for three weeks tomorrow but my scale at home has been stuck - up a little down a little - and back to where I was last week. I know I should quit weighing everyday but it was fun the first two weeks seeing it move. I also like my scale as it shows percentage of body fat also.
    It's been quiet on this board - hope everyone has a good Monday.
  • Bonfire
    Quote: Morning all -
    Checking in with Gottobenow how the diet is going for her.
    Like yall talked about I went in my closet - black dress pants and even black jeans.
    Weigh in for three weeks tomorrow but my scale at home has been stuck - up a little down a little - and back to where I was last week. I know I should quit weighing everyday but it was fun the first two weeks seeing it move. I also like my scale as it shows percentage of body fat also.
    It's been quiet on this board - hope everyone has a good Monday.
    I laugh when I read this because I just finished posting on the Daily Chat what I am going to do with the black pants and all - bonfire! Never ever want to hide behind them again.

Even though I am hitting the big 60 this month, I want to dress like I feel inside. I do not feel 60 and I di not think I look like it either (thanks IP) and so I intend to celebrate all that with fun and beautiful colors.
  • I have white jeans in size 10 waiting to be worn. I love them. Who would have thought the Lady in Black would be anxious to wear them?
  • Hi fellow 50+-ers! I'll be 56 in a few weeks, and have just started IP. I think I'll continue with my coach and paying for IP for about another month, then I'm going to try alternative products. I do like my coach, but I'm doing very well and find that the constant weight loss is the best coach of all. Glad to be among you
  • Quote: I have white jeans in size 10 waiting to be worn. I love them. Who would have thought the Lady in Black would be anxious to wear them?
    LOL, I haven't worn white jeans for ages, every time I did, I sat in something nasty on a bench somewhere, had a muddy dog jump up at me, or dropped mustard on my thigh, or got my period one day early with a vengeance. I do wear bright turquoise ones though!

Congrats on your non-black pants, all!!
    Liana
  • Quote: Hi fellow 50+-ers! I'll be 56 in a few weeks, and have just started IP. I think I'll continue with my coach and paying for IP for about another month, then I'm going to try alternative products. I do like my coach, but I'm doing very well and find that the constant weight loss is the best coach of all. Glad to be among you
    Welcome LakeLover! I just turned 56 and am amazed at the progress I've made on IP. I have thought about using alternatives but I find going to weigh in each week keeps me in line

Good luck and keep me posted on how your switch to alternatives goes!
  • Hi Everyone!

Really need to reboot. You know how life can intrude on our best intentions? Today is my first day back OP and it is hard. As I've stated elsewhere, I am a carb ADDICT and have some favorite substances that I've been binging on in massive quantities. My empty nest is the toughest thing followed by my 2 DP with Alzheimers. My husband can make me a little crazy too...I have a BIG BIRTHDAY in June. SSS, sss, 60. I can't sssay it yet. I don't want to say it. I WANT TO STAY IN MY LATE FIFTIES!!! So I'm going to be the "Plus" in the Fifty Plus. HOW THE HECK DID THIS HAPPEN?! Yes, I know it beats the alternative but I'm not used to it yet. My picture is from September 8, 2011, our 27th anniversary. I'm not very tech savvy but when I figure it out I will post a picture from my DS's wedding in September. And I have to get serious if I'm going to look decent for my 30th anniversary and that other thing...that birthday thing. Please help. I need to lose 20 lbs to get to my lowest IP weight which I would love to do. I look forward to getting to know you youngsters.
  • Quote: Hello all!

I am spending my last 6 months in my fifties and I would love to drop 30 lbs before I see 60! So with that said, I just made an appointment with an IP clinic for tomorrow. I would love to do alternatives but I am just not that knowledgeable about the dos and don'ts. I am also a person that gives up easily. I beat myself up, I feel like its hopeless and truthfully giving up food takes away a lot of my joy! That is horrible to admit! . I love to bake and people are always requesting one of my concoctions. When I bake, I EAT!
    Hey there Got2benow!!! I'm reading some of the earlier posts! I hear ya. Remember how we used to say that in the 70s? I do think 1954 was a very good year.
  • Quote: SSS, sss, 60. I can't sssay it yet. I don't want to say it. I WANT TO STAY IN MY LATE FIFTIES!!!
    Ha Ha, I know how you feel! I just hit the big 6-0 last week, and that's just what I told my sister...... I really don't FEEL any older, and it's not that I HATE being 60, it is just that I now have to SAY it! I can no longer say I'm "Fifty......anything!" I have to get that "sssssssixty" word out!

But one thing turning 60 did though, was make me take a long look at myself and realize I'm not getting any younger, and I want to not only be healthy, but darn it, I want to look good too! I've been divorced for 11 years now (after 30 years of marriage) and I would love to find that soulmate I know is out there waiting for me! But I also know I will never be ready to put myself out there unless I am more comfortable with myself, and that means shedding my armor.....all these extra pounds!

So, IP, here I am! And I plan on succeeding!
  • 63 here
    And I don't know how on earth I suddenly became 63. Just started IP on 4/10. Question for you all. How did you pick your goal weight? not a kid anymore and want to choose a realistic weight to maintain. Thanks for help!
  • Quote: And I don't know how on earth I suddenly became 63. Just started IP on 4/10. Question for you all. How did you pick your goal weight? not a kid anymore and want to choose a realistic weight to maintain. Thanks for help!
    Hi IlliniFan,
    I chose my goal weight based on what the IP scale said would put me at 25% fat. That was 145 at the time and where I was last time I lost weight. I dropped it to 135 and may drop it again as I get closer to that goal. Of course now the scale says 25% will be 130 pounds. We'll see.

Good luck!
    Nancy
  • Quote: And I don't know how on earth I suddenly became 63. Just started IP on 4/10. Question for you all. How did you pick your goal weight? not a kid anymore and want to choose a realistic weight to maintain. Thanks for help!
    Dukan diet online had a fabulous realistic calculator for young-at-heart women. It takes many life events into account.
  • I love reading all the posts in here, particularly those from the 1954 babies. I hit that 60 mark in two weeks and I thought it did not bother me. I have lost nearly 100 pounds (two pounds away) and feel great. Almost where I wanted to be. I feel young, I am healthier than I have been for a while and happily married for nearly 25 years.

But as 3sisters said, the sound of that ssssss instead of fffff is killing me and I know it should not. I guess at 50 something, I had no problem not feeling my age or worrying about it. But somehow approaching 60s, it feels a bit scary. That does sound really old to me and I do not feel it.

Maybe it is something like body image weightwise - it is hard to know what we really look like truly to the outside world. I would love to say that it doesn't matter and that is not what is important, but after decades in this big 'ole body, brutally honest, it DOES matter to me.

I was not thrown when I turned 30 or 40 or even 50, maybe because my life was travelling along busy and headed for some neat places - marriage, children, child raising, getting them into college, etc. Now the youngest is in his second year of college, away from home 10 hours, sold the family home, living in interim housing while we build but retirement a few years away. Not sure where or who I am but need to figure that one out.
  • NIce to hear from people in the same boat. I too was so busy with life that the other big birthdays didn't bother me. When I turned 50 my husband was in the middle of chemo for a cancer which had an "average 3 year life expectancy." Ten years later he is still in remission. Thank heavens. New drugs have improved the prognosis. Thank heavens! He annoys the snot out of me but I don't want to lose him. It has been stressful though, at first month by month, now year by year, fearing that he could fall out of remission at any time.
    Anyway, I made it through the night OP! Tonight is going to be tough. My son invited himself for dinner, which is a good thing but his wife will need dessert. It's like asking the alcoholic too provide the wine! But I love that they are coming over and it's worth the temptation!

When I first lost the 40 lbs. I was recovering from shoulder surgery and had cleared my social calendar for 2 months. I stayed in my room, watched lots of recorded tv, fast forwarded through the food commercials. I took a course on drug and alcohol addiction when I was in college. So I was virtually in my own little private detox I realize. I had no social life. Being in the real world with a social life makes it much harder. There are so many sweet, quietly aggressive food bullies. "Have some fruit. Fruit is good for you." "you're not going to have a drink? not even a glass of wine? You're no fun!" etc., etc., etc

Happy Birthday 3 Sisters! Oprah was born in January, 1954.

Schenectady - That's exactly what I'm figuring out - who I am. My youngest son moved to Washington D.C. after he graduated from college 3 years ago. We used to visit a lot but now he is also in grad school while working and he doesn't have time for us. My older son...long story but he got engaged in December 2012, married September 2013 to a young woman who really only needed to add a husband to her repertoire of friends and family - didn't really need any extraneous relatives like a MIL or FIL, etc. Nothing personal. Once I accepted that I will see my son, at most, once a month for a 2 hour dinner - everything is great! I made a beautiful DVD of the 2 of them from birth to engagement, with beautiful music, talking about how she is beautiful and amazing, just the way she is, that I showed at the wonderful rehearsal dinner - I'm in! I just have to keep my mouth shut for the rest of my life. So far so good. She works for her father in the family home and sees the rest of her family at least once a week....just sayin'...

After a day with my parents, I REALLY feel the need for a glass (sometimes 2) of wine. I've always only been a social drinker, would never drink alone before this. And never felt the NEED for a drink. It is not something I would abuse, like that substance that many of us love. But still, it's not OP. I'm hoping to not have to go to their retirement community for a week to give myself a good start.And if my husband has gone with me, (he's retired so it happens,) he needs a drink too so I'm still not drinking alone. Hmmm. Sorry I made this so long.

Wish me luck getting through tonight OP!
    Good luck everyone. Hugs to you all!
  • Quote: Nice to hear from people in the same boat.................... Good luck everyone. Hugs to you all!
    I agree, stresses on women our age are awful. There are older folks to care for plus kids and grandkids that want their share of time too.

What about me? Do I get a some time for me?

We'll make it. We will be healthier.