Fabulous at Fifty+ .... A home for those of us 50 and older on IP! VOLUME 12

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • I was up early again. Stupid night sweats! I was doing okay til TOQ arrived (quarterly now - or less - instead of monthly)
    Then they started again
    Definitely time to get hormones and adrenals checked
  • Sorry about the night sweats. I am lucky to not have had much on that score.

I had a wonderful shopping day yesterday with coupons and clearance at Macy's and one other store. All of my clothes these days are Medium (10-12) and I am actually looking forward to warmer weather. I even bought a new bathing suit.

I have been hovering for a while--losing a little, but feel stuck. I think I really need a change, and discussed with my coach. I started Phase 2 yesterday and will be phasing off and giving myself a break to see if I can lose the rest of this. Wish me luck!
  • Quote: I have been hovering for a while--losing a little, but feel stuck. I think I really need a change, and discussed with my coach. I started Phase 2 yesterday and will be phasing off and giving myself a break to see if I can lose the rest of this. Wish me luck!
    I did the same thing. Ended up off about 6 mo, using p1 days to help with maintenance
    Plateaus are tough and some of us are susceptible.
    Much luck to you
  • Any suggestions regarding breaking through a plateau
    So glad I found this thread I am currently down 33 lbs...but over the past 3 weeks I have been only loosing 1lb a week. My measurements are going the right way despite the scale not moving much. After reviewing my meal plan for the past 3 weeks with my coach we decided to eliminate any restricted foods for a week and see if that helps. It is a bit sad because I am also gluten free (i have Celiac Disease) and really like having a GF bar for breakfast. But...I want to be at my goal weight by my 59th birthday in June. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting un-stuck?
  • Sopra2 welcome!

A plateau would be no change in weight or measurement in 4-6 weeks

What you are experiencing is a slowdown. They are normal as weight loss ebbs and flows. We've discovered the more we worry about it, the worse it gets because stress increases cortisol , which blocks weight loss.

Stay the course and a whoosh will happen on the scale.
    Anatomy-wise, as we lose weight (fat), the last thing our body releases is the water associated with that fat. This is when the whoosh occurs

If you graph all your weigh ins and add a tend line, the weigh ins will be jagged (not a smooth line) but they all hover right around the trend line.

Slower weeks are part of the process. I'm surprised your coach didn't tell you that. If it's working, there's nothing to fix. You've still been losing (faster than most diets). Nothing to fix.
  • Quote: So glad I found this thread I am currently down 33 lbs...but over the past 3 weeks I have been only loosing 1lb a week. My measurements are going the right way despite the scale not moving much. After reviewing my meal plan for the past 3 weeks with my coach we decided to eliminate any restricted foods for a week and see if that helps. It is a bit sad because I am also gluten free (i have Celiac Disease) and really like having a GF bar for breakfast. But...I want to be at my goal weight by my 59th birthday in June. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting un-stuck?
    I have to agree with Lisa up there - you are doing great! I had a point in February where I lost 2 pounds in one week and then 0 lbs & 0 inches for two weeks straight - very frustrating when I was so close to goal! Then I lost 4 lbs the next week and 3 the week after.

I have no idea why my body decided to stick at that weight for a little bit but I didn't change a thing when it did except to make sure I was getting lots of water in and measuring everything correctly. I think we just sometimes have to let our body play "catch up."

So relax, enjoy what you've lost so far and keep going. You're still losing every week and your measurements are down. Nothing wrong, nothing to fix!
  • Quote: So glad I found this thread I am currently down 33 lbs...but over the past 3 weeks I have been only loosing 1lb a week. My measurements are going the right way despite the scale not moving much. After reviewing my meal plan for the past 3 weeks with my coach we decided to eliminate any restricted foods for a week and see if that helps. It is a bit sad because I am also gluten free (i have Celiac Disease) and really like having a GF bar for breakfast. But...I want to be at my goal weight by my 59th birthday in June. Anyone have any other suggestions for getting un-stuck?
    I think giving up the restricteds could help. I did that for a week and I had the best weigh-in I've had since being OP, and I'm approaching goal. Also, my coach told me to eat a head of romaine lettuce a day. Stick with it. It does and will work.
  • Vanity
    I am looking at my old lady arms and I will not be wearing tank tops into restaurants this summer.

What is the right ratio of fat to loose skin? That's the magic question.
    I guess I should be thinking about healthy weight vs. looks.

Not sure why concerns about my looks are popping up. I couldn't have been too worried about looks when I went way over 200.

I've decided to drop another 5 or so pounds so that I'll weigh under 160 on my home scales.

I'll still be about 32% body fat so will keep doing the gym. I watch HGTV while doing elliptical or treadmill. I'm doing a 5 K Run/Walk on June 1. I'm a walker. My poor feet can't take the running.

My new login is Tisado, I was posting as ssubert
  • I've just decided not to worry about the loose skin for the moment and work on getting some muscle strength back. I figure I'll reevaluate in a year or so and see how I feel about it.

I figure I can find spring and summer clothes that will camouflage most of it. See what happens? I lose weight and get vain!
  • I am not worried about lose skin. Better than the fat that was under it!
  • Quote: I am not worried about lose skin. Better than the fat that was under it!
    Amen!
  • I agree with both Ruth Ann and drd1961 - I am so happy not to be dealing with the fat underneath the skin that I do not really obsess. I have fun shopping for the smaller clothes and just steer myself to things I know will flatter my new body.

Mentally I try to remind myself to celebrate what I see in my body when I look in the mirror, not to focus on the negative. Yes, I know it is there but I would rather look at my flat stomach and shrinking rear end. Jeans are no longer something I dread wearing and that is great! For the first time in over 20 years, I am wearing them and having fun outfitting myself in neon green or pink vest and matching shoes - no old lady baggy clothes for me EVER again!
  • Quote: I agree with both Ruth Ann and drd1961 - I am so happy not to be dealing with the fat underneath the skin that I do not really obsess. I have fun shopping for the smaller clothes and just steer myself to things I know will flatter my new body.

Mentally I try to remind myself to celebrate what I see in my body when I look in the mirror, not to focus on the negative. Yes, I know it is there but I would rather look at my flat stomach and shrinking rear end. Jeans are no longer something I dread wearing and that is great! For the first time in over 20 years, I am wearing them and having fun outfitting myself in neon green or pink vest and matching shoes - no old lady baggy clothes for me EVER again!

Schenectady -

first time in over 20 years!!

That is an outstanding personal achievement!

• Quote: Schenectady -

first time in over 20 years!!

That is an outstanding personal achievement!

Thank you for those kind words, IPCali. I wore said jeans with a great bright neon green vest and matching neon green/pink sneakers the other day. I felt wonderful! We went to visit someone who had known me nearly 100 pounds ago and has seen me several times "in the process". I walked in and she screamed "you are so beautiful!"

WOW - it has been a longtime, a reaaaalllly long time, since anyone said that to me. What motivation that provided during a long few days of challenging eating.
  • Quote: Thank you for those kind words, IPCali. I wore said jeans with a great bright neon green vest and matching neon green/pink sneakers the other day. I felt wonderful! We went to visit someone who had known me nearly 100 pounds ago and has seen me several times "in the process". I walked in and she screamed "you are so beautiful!"

WOW - it has been a longtime, a reaaaalllly long time, since anyone said that to me. What motivation that provided during a long few days of challenging eating.
    Your story brings a smile to my face, Schenectady...

I have NOT been wearing bright colors for years... I promise

that in my post IP wardrobe that my closet will be teaming with bright colors!