Old 09-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 209/164/130

Height: 5'2

Cool When did you start buying new clothes?? #IPproblemz

I'm not sure what to do... My size 18/XL clothes are getting too big. My jeans are starting to look ridiculous (like, I don't need to unbutton them to take them off kind of ridiculous). But I don't want to buy 16s because it don't plan on being in them for very long How do you all deal with purchasing new clothes to fit your new and ever changing bodies?
Aydubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #2  

Thrift & consignment shops!

We have several high(er) end charitable stores in town...a step-up from Goodwill. They keep the nicer brands and re-donate the older/worn clothes to another place (Sal Army or Goodwill, most probably). But you can even find some deals at Goodwill.

My "new" winter coat was $30. It is a wool Talbot's brand. Pretty sure it wasn't even close to that price new. I'm still looking for a second one for colder days (hood, waterproof).

I'm actually wearing nicer brands now than I was before (mostly b/c I couldn't find nicer brands in my size for reasonable prices).

But, I don't plan on being this size forever, either. I've gone from a 24 to 14 &16. When I get to goal, I'm guessing I'll be in 12s.

I have only bought a handful of NEW clothing (swimsuit, underwear, bras, yoga pants, and a few tops). Everything else has been from "poppin' tags"!

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-29-2013 at 01:08 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #3  
started IP 7/17/2012

S/C/G: 200.5/167/150

Height: 5'4"

Aydubs - there is a clothing exchange thread here - you could search for that - not sure how active it is anymore.

Like Lisa, I did some thrift store shopping. There are also a few other things that helped.

When buying new bras, I would go down in band size and use an extender so that I could wear them longer. This worked really well for me.

Buy dresses - they won't fall off of you like pants and when they get a little loose, you can use a belt. I especially like knit type dresses, with a little give.

If you get a nice pair of black pants, you can wear then several days each week with different tops and accessories, and nobody will notice. (Or at least everyone was nice enough not to say anything!)

It's amazing how fast your size can change on this diet! Kind of a pain when you're losing, but well worth it in the end!!

I think I got rid of most of my bigger clothes - didn't want to make it easy to regain... May have a few things. PM me if you want and let me know what you're looking for. I will be happy to give them to another IPer, if you will share with someone else when you're done.
Lizzy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #4  

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-exchange.html

I actually have 2 piles to package up & mail this week (recipients know who they are)!

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-29-2013 at 08:59 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Yes, thrift stores have been my friend lately. I went back in August and had to go again recently because the clothes I bought then don't fit now. I picked up a jacket on Friday because I was going to a football game Friday night but I will likely be looking for another one - not crazy about it. But, since I only paid $15 for it - doesn't hurt too much to get another one!

For around $40 a trip, I managed to get some basics for work - black dress pants, a couple of skirts and some tops. Tops can be worn a little longer because you can always belt the or cinch them with clips, pants and skirts it's a little tougher.

Good luck!

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydubs View Post
I'm not sure what to do... My size 18/XL clothes are getting too big. My jeans are starting to look ridiculous (like, I don't need to unbutton them to take them off kind of ridiculous). But I don't want to buy 16s because it don't plan on being in them for very long How do you all deal with purchasing new clothes to fit your new and ever changing bodies?
Congrats Aydubs! This is a good problem...and when you forget...go look in the mirror! Your self image needs to change along with the scale, so if you have family or friends who are supportive, and aware of your current mission, perhaps they have things you can borrow......??

Budget permitting .... shop. The mention of consignment stores, and goodwill are logical choices to start and keep checking esp if you have a way to go yet.. DO NOT CONTINUE TO WEAR stuff that is too big. You are better off with a few things that fit well than trucking on with the old clothes. This need is a badge of accomplishment. Kmart, Target, Walmart..whatever can also supplement a few nice things you find at a consignment store! Most of us who have lost pounds/inches enough to need a smaller size (and are still losing) recognize this an important feature of adjusting to our new body. Taking pride in your appearance at a new level is not something you ...or anyone, who is part of your day to day life, should view negatively!

YOU GO GIRL!!!

Last edited by 65X65; 09-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #7  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Definitely thrift stores. In my town we have an amazing Goodwill, very organized by size and color, and I've found some great brands there. Don't dismiss them all even if you've been to a bad one, check them all out in your area and have fun! There are bound to be some good ones near you. Very happy problem to have
Tuscany123 is offline   Reply With Quote