Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Question Pot Roast

How do you make your pot roast since joining IP? I am so use to making mine with carrots, onions, potatoes in the pan with it. Can I make it this way and obviously not eat the forbidden veggies?
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/213/150

Height: 5'5

we made one last week and substituted potatoes with rutabagas..it was really yummy
cole22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #3  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

I rub mine with sea salt and pepper, put a little grapeseed oil in the bottom of my dutch oven, plop it in there and cover the roast with sliced yellow onion and sliced mushrooms, sometimes I add sliced cabbage. I roast at 250 for about 3 - 4 hours depending on the size of the roast. Delish!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM   #4  

I never thought about rutabagas before. I should try that.
I use a nice mix of spices on mine: sea salt, pepper, cumin, cardamom, garlic, coriander, smoked paprika and little turmeric.

I will put the rub on mine the night before and then into the dutch oven for a nice long slow roast!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/139.5/145

Height: 5' 4"

Thank you for posting this question! I have been craving pot roast now that fall is here and now I know how to prepare it and stay on plan.
katenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #6  
Working to be an after!

S/C/G: 269/151.6/149

Height: 5'2''

I've used rutabagas and red peppers with a roast. So good!!
crazynette826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #7  

I still find it hard to believe that the IP diet doesn't "allow" carrots! They are so good for you,,,and tasty too! Surely a diet that eliminates such a healthy food should be suspect. Carrots are incredibly rich in both alpha-carotene and beta-carotene (which converts into vitamin A in your body) plus they have a ton of fiber, lots of anti-aging and disease-fighting phytonutrients, a hefty dose of potassium and even a sprinkling of calcium and magnesium.
2annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2annabelle View Post
I still find it hard to believe that the IP diet doesn't "allow" carrots! They are so good for you,,,and tasty too! Surely a diet that eliminates such a healthy food should be suspect. Carrots are incredibly rich in both alpha-carotene and beta-carotene (which converts into vitamin A in your body) plus they have a ton of fiber, lots of anti-aging and disease-fighting phytonutrients, a hefty dose of potassium and even a sprinkling of calcium and magnesium.
They are wonderful. They just have too much sugar for phases 1-3. I personally have seen in my own life that if i eat just meat and vegetables and those vegetables are carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes I will not lose weight at all. It's not always a calorie thing. Don't worry - carrots are not going anywhere. They will be there in phase 4!
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #9  
IP start date: 2/8/2013

S/C/G: 230/207/160

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2annabelle View Post
I agree with you. I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that these foods (peas, carrots, green beans, corn, etc) are not "allowed" when they are healthy choices!! Its so weird- we can have a big fat juicy t-bone with tons of saturated fat- but not some steamed peas and carrots? One thing I dislike about the IP plan.

Last edited by jmanovich; 09-24-2013 at 05:48 PM.
jmanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Restart: 233/ 214/ 170

Height: 5'1

technically carrots, peas and corn are not allowed on a traditional low carb diet either. Too much sugar and starch. corn isn't even considered a vegetable. Its a cereal grain.
Figgypudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Sorry, but "naturally occurring" carbs are also present in the giant stalks of sugar cane that grow just down the road and across the river from my house! Oranges and strawberries are full of "naturally occurring" carbs. My beloved Haagan Daz is full of "natural" sugar.

I'm not being snarky - honestly, but come on! I grew to be over 300 pounds by eating nothing but "natural" foods like home grown blueberries, whole wheat pasta and homemade yogurt. I will not lose it by eating those things, and I certainly will not lose it by eating corn, peas and carrots.

Last edited by Princess Peacock; 09-24-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Princess Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #12  

If you are eating carrots, peas, etc, you are not following the IP plan

And T-bones aren't on the meat P1 list for meats, either.

If you don't like the IP, I encourage you to find another plan, better suited for you.

Controlling insulin by cutting out high glycemic index veggies is a wonderful way to quick weight loss. It works for those of us who want to do it and stick to it.

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-24-2013 at 06:55 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

Chef Verati has a wonderful slow cooker beef recipe in his "My Ideal Recipes" cookbook that calls for beef round steak. It is called "Slowly Braised Beef" on page 151. You should be able to buy his cookbook from your coach. It has a lot of really tasty recipes in it...all geared for Phase 1 & 2.

I substituted a chuck roast instead of the round steak and it turned out absolutely delicious. He includes green peppers, celery stalks & celery root for the vegetables but I'm sure you could use other vegetables, if you prefer.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #14  

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by galpal445 View Post
Chef Verati has a wonderful slow cooker beef recipe in his "My Ideal Recipes" cookbook that calls for beef round steak. It is called "Slowly Braised Beef" on page 151. You should be able to buy his cookbook from your coach. It has a lot of really tasty recipes in it...all geared for Phase 1 & 2.

I substituted a chuck roast instead of the round steak and it turned out absolutely delicious. He includes green peppers, celery stalks & celery root for the vegetables but I'm sure you could use other vegetables, if you prefer.
Well Since I do not have a coach yet, I can braise the potatoes, carrots and onions in a nice broth in a separate pan for DH and Kids, and toss in a jimica, peppers, cauliflower, and some leeks in the pan with the roast that way everyone is happy and I am not going off the plan!!!!

It is a win- win for everyone. I can also use my IP mushroom soup to make "gravy" for my veggies