Old 11-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #1  

Default Best IP alternatives

Hi,

I'm new here. I've just done IP for a week, with good results, but I'm not comfortable with the ingredient list (especially that I'm nursing). I've read tons of posts on this site about there being better alternatives (higher protein, lower calories, non-GMO, organic, etc).

Could someone pass on the info if possible? I like smoothie mixes in the morning, since I can get so much raw spinach in them (and I don't like spinach otherwise). I also like rich chocolate treats (so I've been eating the IP bars).

I just want to keep up the results, but without damage to the long-term me/baby.

THANKS SO MUCH! I would really appreciate any help - it will be graciously taken and implemented!
HealthyInAHurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #2  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

Hey Healthy,

Does your healthcare team know you're using IP and nursing? I'm not giving medical advice or saying there's anything negative or something to be worried about. I know BF moms have different calorie needs so I was curious, because I'm following modified IP and hope to be breastfeeding next year
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

There is several threads floating around named Alternative products that work on P1 (or something similar).

I have been using the Quest products with success.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Are you doing an alternate plan that incorporates more calories? There is no way P1 calories will be able to sustain milk production for your baby.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #5  

Hi - the little guy is 18 months old, so these are just bonus months and he's not depending on me so much anymore for nutrition. However, I have a lot going on right now, so if it did come to me feeling light-headed, I would take an extra 'IP snack'. I haven't found this to be much of a problem. I've done fasting quite a bit for religious reasons, so I'm aware of the signals from the body in terms of 'healthy/fine/damaging'.

However, I am concerned that "stuff" could be passing through my milk, so am worried about ingredient lists (although, I normally am conscious baby or no baby).

Thanks again! I went through threads, and had a hard time sifting. If anyone has any suggested brands, that would be great. I'm trying Vega right now, and the protein smoothie looks like it fits the IP credentials, but the bars look a little to high in nuts/seeds (although, I am very very very far from knowing anything about this).

Last edited by HealthyInAHurry; 11-11-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #6  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyInAHurry View Post
Hi - the little guy is 18 months old, so these are just bonus months and he's not depending on me so much anymore for nutrition. However, I have a lot going on right now, so if it did come to me feeling light-headed, I would take an extra 'IP snack'. I haven't found this to be much of a problem. I've done fasting quite a bit for religious reasons, so I'm aware of the signals from the body in terms of 'healthy/fine/damaging'.

However, I am concerned that "stuff" could be passing through my milk, so am worried about ingredient lists (although, I normally am conscious baby or no baby).

Thanks again! I went through threads, and had a hard time sifting. If anyone has any suggested brands, that would be great. I'm trying Vega right now, and the protein smoothie looks like it fits the IP credentials, but the bars look a little to high in nuts/seeds (although, I am very very very far from knowing anything about this).
Here is some quick info for you to research as I am not sure what ingredients you are worried about...
NashuaNutrition.com - Brands Healthsmart, Proti Thin and Proti Diet
Quest (their motto is "clean cheating" as they consider the products so good you think you are cheating and they market the fact that they are non-GMO, no soy, etc. You can get protein powders and chips (avoid the bars as they changed the ingredient list that makes most of them non-P1 compliant)
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #7  

Healthy - as Ro said, without know what it is exactly you are trying to avoid it's hard to know where to point you to...part of this process that was scary to me was all the artificial ingredients - but at the end of the day, weight loss trumped these concerns - IP (or alternative protocol) isn't meant to be followed long term - but I don't think anyone here had the breast feeding issue to contend with. I have a soy intolerance though and so I buy nothing soy based.
Nashua sells some natural products - Kay's. They are more expensive than other brands and you have to be careful as some don't fall in protocol guidelines.
Also, to cut back on the amount of artificial product I consumed, I ate regular meals for lunch / dinner - 4 - 6oz protein at each with 2c veggies - basically I replaced the lunch packet with real food.
Overall I've tried to eat more real food through this journey than processed...but old formula Quest bars, Proti thin puddings, Quest protein powder, and occasionally I would buy a box of chips or protein oatmeal.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #8  

Thank you - I'll look up Kay's.

It's the artificial ingredients, the GMO, and non-organic that bother me. Sorry for not being specific.

I'm trying to just do it with real foods, but I really need a satiating chocolatey treat every day
Old 11-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HealthyInAHurry View Post
Thank you - I'll look up Kay's.

It's the artificial ingredients, the GMO, and non-organic that bother me. Sorry for not being specific.

I'm trying to just do it with real foods, but I really need a satiating chocolatey treat every day
Hear ya...

Here was a typical P1 Day:

B - 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee
L - 4oz lean protein, 2C spinach, 1C mushrooms, 1/2C red peppers, mustard (as dressing)
D - 6oz lean protein, 2C roast zucchini / other protocol select veggie
S - proti thin pudding / old formula Quest bar

Problem was, this DID get boring - it was nice to have the blueberry pancake packet or premier protein vanilla shake to switch up breakfast.
Sometime I also wanted something crunchy so kept a few bags of Quest chips around - planning to use these into maintenance, along with the protein powder