3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

iP is the worst diet in te world...huh

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,334

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
Lolo is just giving her opinion and shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
I would never think that the IP diet is HEALTHY. Whoever thinks that is really naive, it helps you to lose weight fast, plain and simple.....not having the energy to do everyday activity such as housework etc cannot possibly be healthy.

It's a means to an end so please don't fool yourselves into thinking that eating packets full of soy and fake sugar is good for you vs eating wholesome nutritious food.

That being said - I do the diet because it helps me to lose the last few lbs that I've never been able to lose - I would never advocate the diet as being "healthy" because I certainly don't feel healthy on it.

Who was ridiculing Lolo? I have the utmost respect for her research and have learned much from her, which is why I referred to her as our resident expert.
We have exchanged many conversations publicly and privately about it!

As far as IP being healthy, the company itself calls it an "unbalanced approach". Dr Tran Tein's book says P1 is not for long term.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Last edited by lisa32989 : 09-16-2013 at 06:19 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #17
Joined IP July 25, 2013
 
Meeshellee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Washington....the state, not the Capitol
Posts: 315

S/C/G: 328/IP Start 290.4/Ticker/170

Height: 5'9"

Default

If I can weigh in here, I just have to say that after two weeks on this "unhealthy" diet I was able to phase off of my diabetes meds (under dr's supervision)... I get my blood checked regularly (hypothyroid since I was 15) and my bloodwork has never looked better, including my liver levels which have been high for a long time due to fatty liver. I get that IP isn't meant for long term, but the changes I've experienced since being on this program have made me a believer (and supporter) of IP.
__________________
Change is a journey, not a destination!



Higest Weight = 328 lbs
IP Start = 290 lbs (7/2013)
Switched to Alternatives = 221 lbs (1/2014)
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #18
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,334

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Point of clarification: PHASE ONE isn't meant for long term. P4 is. It may need individual adjusting based on individual health needs
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Last edited by lisa32989 : 09-16-2013 at 06:14 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
:)
 
shrinkingsusie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trenton, Ontario
Posts: 963

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
not having the energy to do everyday activity such as housework etc cannot possibly be healthy.

It's a means to an end so please don't fool yourselves into thinking that eating packets full of soy and fake sugar is good for you vs eating wholesome nutritious food.
I actually find I have increased energy on IP.

And in my situation, eating "packets full of soy and fake sugar" is better for me because clearly my obesity reflects my past poor eating habits. If I just ate wholesome nutritious foods my whole life, I doubt I would be on this forum.

That being said, if phase 1 was intended for long term, rest of your life, then no, it would not be healthy and I would not recommend it. Every diet program has its pros and cons, and I think that is why it is important to keep up to date with your doctor because we generally don't know we have/had an underlying condition until it presents itself.
__________________

Last edited by shrinkingsusie : 09-16-2013 at 08:50 AM.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Sunflower40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 495

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5'0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Who was ridiculing Lolo? I have the utmost respect for her research and have learned much from her, which is why I referred to her as our resident expert.
We have exchanged many conversations publicly and privately about it!

As far as IP being healthy, the company itself calls it an "unbalanced approach". Dr Tran Tein's book says P1 is not for long term.
I am sorry. I must of misunderstood your response to her. I thought when you called her a resident expert you were being sarcastic.
__________________
Giving South Beach a try Sept 15 Phase I
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #21
Embracing the suck
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California - East Bay
Posts: 3,174

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
If I can weigh in here, I just have to say that after two weeks on this "unhealthy" diet I was able to phase off of my diabetes meds (under dr's supervision)... I get my blood checked regularly (hypothyroid since I was 15) and my bloodwork has never looked better, including my liver levels which have been high for a long time due to fatty liver. I get that IP isn't meant for long term, but the changes I've experienced since being on this program have made me a believer (and supporter) of IP.
There is a massive difference between the effects of two weeks of PSMF dieting vs two months vs ten months.

Regardless, that is great news for you.
__________________
"Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Sunflower40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 495

S/C/G: 158/141/130

Height: 5'0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I actually find I have increased energy on IP.

And in my situation, eating "packets full of soy and fake sugar" is better for me because clearly my obesity reflects my past poor eating habits. If I just ate wholesome nutritious foods my whole life, I doubt I would be on this forum.

That being said, if phase 1 was intended for long term, rest of your life, then no, it would not be healthy and I would not recommend it. Every diet program has its pros and cons, and I think that is why it is important to keep up to date with your doctor because we generally don't know we have/had an underlying condition until it presents itself.
I am the opposite. I start off the day energetic but come midday I would literally fall asleep at my desk. Yawn all the time. I know it was the diet because I never felt this way before.
__________________
Giving South Beach a try Sept 15 Phase I
Sunflower40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
schenectady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Metro Seattle
Posts: 914

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/187/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Default

I am a medical novice, so I will not comment on all the technical and specific issues mentioned here.

What I do want to mention is that most people who begin a weight loss program, even something like Weight Watchers, are reminded and counseled to seek a physician's advice before beginning. Yes?

That said, we are people of free choice. We are free to read up on programs, read the caveats and warnings, check the program on the Internet, take books out of the library on health, weight loss, low carb high protein diets. I did all of those before beginning this.

However, my weight was something that was more potentially dangerous, both to my physical and my mental health, than the stated or possible risks of the program. It was my free choice to start the program and I made that choice.

Yes, I do pride myself on my intelligence and so when I am ready to make a decision, I base it partially on what I have read, asked, and debated beforehand and partially on my intuition and emotional needs.

I know that it is MY decision and therefore the consequences and results are MY responsibility. No one led me down the garden path and made me do this program.
__________________



Last edited by schenectady : 09-16-2013 at 11:16 AM.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,334

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
There is a massive difference between the effects of two weeks of PSMF dieting vs two months vs ten months.
For certain!
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
:)
 
shrinkingsusie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trenton, Ontario
Posts: 963

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower40 View Post
I am the opposite. I start off the day energetic but come midday I would literally fall asleep at my desk. Yawn all the time. I know it was the diet because I never felt this way before.
Bummer, that sucks. I do however find I'm super hot or freezing cold. No in-betweens!
__________________
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #26
IP Start Date 8/31/2012
 
AlisonS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 333

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Default

I was on Phase 1 for one year and did not have any thyroid issues, just as a counterexample. My body fat percentage at this point is below 22, so I really do not have anything left to lose and would think it would have shown up by now if it was going to.
__________________
~ Alison

AlisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 431

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
I was on Phase 1 for one year and did not have any thyroid issues, just as a counterexample. My body fat percentage at this point is below 22, so I really do not have anything left to lose and would think it would have shown up by now if it was going to.
Lisa and I are talking pre-existing conditions that may be hypothyroidism or maybe something in addition. Not everybody has issues. But it is worth discussing some of the negative aspects, so other people do not run into the same issues. I think we both figured it out because we had issues about the same time and were on this board.
__________________
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #28
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,334

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

You will also all notice I STILL think IP is a GREAT diet! I just encourage medical monitoring to be sure nothing from any unknown underlying condition pops up unexpectedly, and if it does, can be dealt with
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #29
Started IP Aug 19, 2013
 
slownsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 292

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkids View Post
I just found an old thread that has great discussion about the thyroid, soy products, & IP. The last time it was up & running was in 2011.
How do I find that thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
lisa32989 and kkids:

Yes, I agree with both of you. IP does not initially cause thyroid problems, but when you already are hypothyroid, even slightly, a very low carb diet will enhance you problems over time. I still have 20 lbs to loose, but I will not go back to IP for those reasons. I just can't tell how far the damage is going and whether it would be fully reversible. But the weight loss was great.
Lolo, I'm interested in your research. I have been hypothyroid for over 10 years and take synthroid replacement daily. I don't know the connection between soy and thyroid, and would like to know more. Are ALL IP products soy based, and is THAT what causes the problems you describe? Would you be willing to summarize some of what you've learned about how IP affects thyroid - specifically in my case where I am already taking thyroid replacement for previously diagnosed hypothyroid? I realize you are not an MD and won't take it as medical advice. Thanks
__________________
........Half-way to goal = 37 lbs........
.................
slownsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
zephyr1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 122

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

I am a medical joke - really. If you've never heard of it, I have had it or still have it. That said, The first week was pure **** for me. Now, I'm ok - I wouldn't say I'm thrilled with my limited food options on Phase 1, but I know it's temporary. My health issues are the reason I chose IP over other diets/weight loss programs. I need to lose weight in the quickest way possible in the most structured way possible.

I can certainly see how this imbalanced diet could lead to other health concerns, dormant or not. However, my main issue at this very moment, is preserving my eye sight. The ONLY solution is losing weight, and I refuse bariatric surgery.

We all have to make the best choice for our individual needs. I have a great relationship with my PCP and all my specialists, and they are aware of the IP diet. I trust all of my doctors with my whole heart, mind, and body. They are the best of the best, and I am lucky to live where I do.

I would never tell anyone to try any diet - I would tell them to research it, look at the pros and cons, and then speak with their PCP.
zephyr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2