Old 02-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 159/125/115

Height: 5'1"

Default Need Advice--Ideal Protein Not Working So Well For Me

I have been on Ideal Protein since November, with a goal of losing 40 lbs. Well, I just reached the 3-month mark and have lost 25 lbs so far, so it is working but just very slowly--aside from the first few weeks where I lost a good amount of pounds, I have lost an average of 1-1.5 lbs each week thereafter. I have followed the diet exactly as listed, with no cheats whatsoever. My coach can't seem to figure out why I'm losing so slowly--she keeps blaming hormones, but for every week for the past 2.5 months? Doesn't seem likely. We've tried cutting the restricted foods down each week, but that didn't do anything. I read every label to make sure there's no added sugars; I measure all my raw protein and veggies; I measure all my oil and salt intake; I drink over 8 glasses of water a day; etc; so I don't really understand why it's going so slowly, while almost all others seem to lose lots of poundage week after week. My coach also keeps telling me that one of these weeks I'm going to have a big week, but she's been saying that every week for 2.5 months, so it seems unlikely. The most I've lost in a week (excluding those first few weeks) has been 2 lbs. Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to what I could do to maybe speed up the weight loss? I've also tried to increase workouts (not high intensity), decrease workouts, etc. At this rate, I'm losing no more than any other diet I've tried in the past like Weight Watchers, etc, and it seems silly for me to be on this expensive, restricted diet while I could be doing other cheaper, less restricted diets with the same results.

Last edited by Tiggero5501; 02-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Tiggero5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/175/140

Height: 5’6”

Sounds good to me. Slow weight lose means it will stay off! Good luck reaching your goal!
Serens Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #3  

That sounds frustrating, but wtg on your 25 lbs off.

When I did IP with some co-workers, the coach sometimes advised people to add a packet, especially if they were working out. That extra packet did speed up their weight loss. Also he recommended not cutting out the restricted (the extra packet was not a restricted one).

Another reason your loss might be slower than you'd like is that don't have a lot to lose. I don't know your height so I'm just throwing it out there. It seems to be much easier to get the ball rolling & see big losses when you have, say, 60-90+ lbs to lose.

You are 15 lbs from your goal now so the weight loss may even slow down, as seems to happen with many IPers. When I reached goal and began to eat more, I actually lost more weight. I think that the ultra low calories of IP can slow down the metabolism. With a little more food, it will speed up and there can be faster weight loss.

Congrats on sticking to your protocol--I wish I had that kind of focus and will power right now. You might consider doing alternative products that are similar to IP but cheaper. Some are actually the same product under a different name, but not all. You can get them from Nashua Nutrition. There's a thread on 3FC and I think a Facebook pages where you can get info. Basically you just need to check the labels to make sure the product is comparable to IP macros. You can read the labels on the website. Good luck--looks like one way or another you are going to the finish line!

Here is the 3FC Alternatives thread: https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ide...-products.html

Last edited by Sundove; 02-11-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186.5/149/135

Height: 5.5

Default It was slow for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggero5501 View Post
I have been on Ideal Protein since November, with a goal of losing 40 lbs. Well, I just reached the 3-month mark and have lost 25 lbs so far, so it is working but just very slowly--aside from the first few weeks where I lost a good amount of pounds, I have lost an average of 1-1.5 lbs each week thereafter. I have followed the diet exactly as listed, with no cheats whatsoever. My coach can't seem to figure out why I'm losing so slowly--she keeps blaming hormones, but for every week for the past 2.5 months? Doesn't seem likely. We've tried cutting the restricted foods down each week, but that didn't do anything. I read every label to make sure there's no added sugars; I measure all my raw protein and veggies; I measure all my oil and salt intake; I drink over 8 glasses of water a day; etc; so I don't really understand why it's going so slowly, while almost all others seem to lose lots of poundage week after week. My coach also keeps telling me that one of these weeks I'm going to have a big week, but she's been saying that every week for 2.5 months, so it seems unlikely. The most I've lost in a week (excluding those first few weeks) has been 2 lbs. Does anyone else have any other suggestions as to what I could do to maybe speed up the weight loss? I've also tried to increase workouts (not high intensity), decrease workouts, etc. At this rate, I'm losing no more than any other diet I've tried in the past like Weight Watchers, etc, and it seems silly for me to be on this expensive, restricted diet while I could be doing other cheaper, less restricted diets with the same results.
slow is good too, It took me a while to get pass some weight. 25 pounds is awesome. We all want a quick diet and sometimes we get impatient. But.... for me it has been like that, but today i am glad that it was slow. it helped my skin and I learned that I don't need a lot of food to survive! take a couple weights or something that weighs 25 pounds and celebrated that loss... all in time! its discipline... woohoo
Skinnyjeangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 159/125/115

Height: 5'1"

Thank you all for the encouragement! I will stick it out for these last 15 lbs--I know I will get there at some point. :-)
Tiggero5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #6  
Serial Dieter

S/C/G: 320/278/200

Height: 6'3"

As you approach your target weight, your losses will slow. that's normal. THis is typical losses for me (when i started 100 pounds overweight)

First month 20 to 25 pounds

Months thereafter 12 to 15 pounds a month

As I approached target weight losses slowed to 8 pounds a month or 2 pounds a week.
Avalon1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176.4/168.4/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Thank you all for the encouragement! I will stick it out for these last 15 lbs--I know I will get there at some point. :-)
Tieggero! Are you still hanging in there? I'm recommitting today, and trying to *TAKE IN* the board an all it's wisdom! We have similar stats/goals, so I was glad to see your post, and the replies were very very on point!

I'm bracing myself for SLOW LOSS and will be grateful for it!

Hope you and everyone else here are well!
Lynn Margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Just wavin' Hi, Avalon! Hope you are doing well!
Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/204/199

Almased Diet Protein Powder 3-pack (17.6 Ounce Each) tastes good and really does help curb my appetite. I like that I'm not starving and it is helping me with my energy!
Sarah Van Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #10  

Default Ideal protein--second time around--not working

Hi--I lost 22 pounds on the ID diet 2 years ago --and it took about 4 months--which was fine. Apart from some slowing down towards the end, it was very consistent so that I stuck with it. However, I put 17 of those pounds back on in the last year so trying ID again with very little results. I've been on it over 3 weeks and seem to be losing and regaining the same 2 pounds with no change in the diet. I've been REALLY religious about it--and have been walking daily and some very light weights--same thing I did 2 years ago. I do not understand how I can be on such a low carb/cal diet and not be losing anything meaningful in 3 weeks time. Clothes feel slightly better but nothing truly significant. The worse is when I do lose a pound or 2, thinking NOW I will see some steady if slow gains--and that weight reappears on the scale the following week. I am at a loss to explain this. I don't know why these low carb diets are so different the second time around or what to do next. And I do drink plenty of water!
MaryDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #11  

Quote:
Maybe it is time to have a visit with your doctor, just to rule out underlying medical reasons for slow weight loss. I’m also experiencing slow weight loss, but I suspect it was because I was not measuring my raw protein and have just started to weigh it after a disappointing one pound lost weigh in.
Bluegreen is offline   Reply With Quote