3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Protein Shakes- 1 scoop or 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,280

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Wouldn't it only be converted to glucose and then stored as fat if you are in starvation mode? From what I have read (mostly online, so not sure how accurate the info is) is that if you are eating every 3-4 hours, you just eliminate all of the excess.
If that were true, calorie restriction would be entirely unnecessary. You could eat 30,000 calories of fat and protein and never gain an ounce, so long as you ate every 3-4 hours.

Lordy, wouldn't that be awesome!

Sadly, it isn't true, at least not for most of us. I have stalled and even gained on ketogenic diets because I ate too many calories (and not because I ate too infrequently to keep me from "starvation mode").

If you take in more calories than you burn, odds are that a good portion of the extra will be stored as fat regardless of where the excess comes from. Carbs though are the most easily and efficiently turned to fat. This means to lose the same amount of weight, you can probably eat more protein and fat than carbs, but you can still store fat if you eat enough calories.
__________________
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #17
Started IP 5/13/13
 
dak1lls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 837

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default

Just an FYI, the Premier Protein shakes com in an 18g of protein serving. They can be difficult to find, but I believe you can,order them directly from the company. I love the vanilla. I blend it with a little crushed ice in my Magic Bullet and it tastes like a vanilla milk shake. Once, I was unable to have my protein at lunch time so I broke up one of my bars and added to the shake when I had my snack in the evening. It was my own DQ Blizzard for dessert!
__________________

Don't look back, you're not going that way!

Last edited by dak1lls : 09-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
:)
 
shrinkingsusie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trenton, Ontario
Posts: 963

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
If that were true, calorie restriction would be entirely unnecessary. You could eat 30,000 calories of fat and protein and never gain an ounce, so long as you ate every 3-4 hours.

Lordy, wouldn't that be awesome!

Sadly, it isn't true, at least not for most of us. I have stalled and even gained on ketogenic diets because I ate too many calories (and not because I ate too infrequently to keep me from "starvation mode").

If you take in more calories than you burn, odds are that a good portion of the extra will be stored as fat regardless of where the excess comes from. Carbs though are the most easily and efficiently turned to fat. This means to lose the same amount of weight, you can probably eat more protein and fat than carbs, but you can still store fat if you eat enough calories.
Perhaps I am still doing ok because the shakes are only 40 cals more than a typical IP packet, so that's only an extra 80 cal a day, and as a massage therapist, I guess my job is somewhat physically demanding, so I am sure I am burning off the excess?
__________________

Last edited by shrinkingsusie : 09-13-2013 at 09:11 AM.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,315

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Perhaps I am still doing ok because the shakes are only 40 cals more than a typical IP packet, so that's only an extra 80 cal a day, and as a massage therapist, I guess my job is somewhat physically demanding, so I am sure I am burning off the excess?
And your weight is over 200. As you get under that, you may need to watch those cals/protein requirements more closely. (Based on my starting weight, my coach should have started me on 5 packs/day)

I've said all along, we all have different metabolisms. My job doesn't have the physical demands of others. My body isn't as big (tall) as others so the BMR isn't as high (lower caloric requirements to start with) PLUS we all have different health "stuff" to deal with (me: inflammation in my back, thyroid & adrenal stress). Some journeys are quick, some are slower but we'll all get there.

This is why it is extremely important to be sure we make sure everyone knows what the IP products contain. So they can make easy comparisons & not go too far off the track.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Last edited by lisa32989 : 09-13-2013 at 09:20 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
kaplods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Wausau, WI
Posts: 13,280

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Perhaps I am still doing ok because the shakes are only 40 cals more than a typical IP packet, so that's only an extra 80 cal a day, and as a massage therapist, I guess my job is somewhat physically demanding, so I am sure I am burning off the excess?
Assuming it will take roughly 3500 calories to make a pound - at worst, if you continue with the extra 80 calories, in 6 weeks, you can expect to have lost one less pound than if you hadn't had those extra calories.

Metabolic math isn't exact, especially with ketogenic diets, but with any plan, you can safely assume that 3500 extra calories to make a pound is a worst case scenario for gains and a 3500 calorie shortage to make a pound is a best case scenario for loss.
__________________
My Etsy shop (currently closed for the summer)

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods : 09-13-2013 at 09:26 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #21
:)
 
shrinkingsusie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Trenton, Ontario
Posts: 963

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default

Thanks for all the input. Perhaps next time I am in Costco I will ask about the "snack size" shakes for when I am under 200 lbs. Hopefully they are available in Canada.

And one pound every six weeks doesn't bother me much. Though I would love to wake up tomorrow and be at my goal, I am really trying not to look at this as a race. Like Lisa said, we will all get there. I couldn't have said it better myself.
__________________
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Junior Member
 
mperkows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Corona CA
Posts: 24

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Why don't you give us the brand names so we can evaluate them more closely?
There may be fiber not accounted for in that bar with the high carbs, for example.
No way egg whites plus the shake. Breakfast is already high on protein.

To the person who said you can't convert protein to fat.
Do some reading on Gluconeogenesis.
This is the process of converting protein to glucose.
As we all well know, Glucose (sugar) can easily be converted to be stored as fat.
In a nutshell, too much protein is NOT recommended.

The shake I was GOING to use is called Lean Pro Matrix (Bananas & Cream) from Nutrition Zone. I have attached the nutrition info.
The protein bar I was GOING to use is Oh Yeah. They have many different kinds that taste pretty good. I have attached nutrition info as well.
After everyone’s discussions, I will be looking for other shakes and bars. I'm thinking Herbalife is pretty affordable and tasty so I may head in that direction for the shakes. For the protein bars, not sure what I will get that’s tasty that falls into the “doable” range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lean Pro Matrix banana.jpg (48.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Oh Yeah.jpg (30.2 KB, 11 views)
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,315

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Though I would love to wake up tomorrow and be at my goal,
you & me both, sista!
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
Started IP 5/13/13
 
dak1lls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 837

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkows View Post
The shake I was GOING to use is called Lean Pro Matrix (Bananas & Cream) from Nutrition Zone. I have attached the nutrition info.
The protein bar I was GOING to use is Oh Yeah. They have many different kinds that taste pretty good. I have attached nutrition info as well.
After everyone’s discussions, I will be looking for other shakes and bars. I'm thinking Herbalife is pretty affordable and tasty so I may head in that direction for the shakes. For the protein bars, not sure what I will get that’s tasty that falls into the “doable” range.
If you haven't checked Nashua Nutrition or dietdirect.com, you should. They have great prices compared to IP a a nice variety. Just use the alternative guidelines and watch for aspartame.
__________________

Don't look back, you're not going that way!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Started IP 5/13/13
 
dak1lls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 837

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
Thanks for all the input. Perhaps next time I am in Costco I will ask about the "snack size" shakes for when I am under 200 lbs. Hopefully they are available in Canada.

And one pound every six weeks doesn't bother me much. Though I would love to wake up tomorrow and be at my goal, I am really trying not to look at this as a race. Like Lisa said, we will all get there. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Although it has been only 4 months, I remember thinking it would take so long to get "there", and now it seems like I just started, the time has gone by so quickly. Sigh....as it seems to, the older I get. I think you will find that as you get nearer to goal you will feel some hesitation in phasing off. I am almost there and have some anxiety about not being on IP.
__________________

Don't look back, you're not going that way!
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,315

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
Although it has been only 4 months, I remember thinking it would take so long to get "there", and now it seems like I just started, the time has gone by so quickly. Sigh....as it seems to, the older I get. I think you will find that as you get nearer to goal you will feel some hesitation in phasing off. I am almost there and have some anxiety about not being on IP.
its not so scary.
I was PETRIFIED.
But I phased off for a few weeks this summer for health reasons & now know each phase is just another stepping stone. IP doesn't give you more than you can handle at once. Day 1 of P2, I started researching P3 breakfasts so when I got to P3 (or maybe it was before), I had 4 well-planned breakfasts to alternate.
P4 is just another sheet to follow with some more additions.
And P4 is Phase For Life so you'll ALWAYS be on IP if you're maintaining well.
There. Not so scary, right?
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,315

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
If you haven't checked Nashua Nutrition or dietdirect.com, you should. They have great prices compared to IP a a nice variety. Just use the alternative guidelines and watch for aspartame.
Agreed. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, use the alternative thread and use the products others have already used for success!
Alternative products that will work on Phase 1
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,070

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkows View Post
The shake I was GOING to use is called Lean Pro Matrix (Bananas & Cream) from Nutrition Zone. I have attached the nutrition info.
The protein bar I was GOING to use is Oh Yeah. They have many different kinds that taste pretty good. I have attached nutrition info as well.
After everyone’s discussions, I will be looking for other shakes and bars. I'm thinking Herbalife is pretty affordable and tasty so I may head in that direction for the shakes. For the protein bars, not sure what I will get that’s tasty that falls into the “doable” range.
I am guessing the higher calories on the drink must be from the higher protein e cause everything else about it looks good!

The bars are clearly way high on fat - you are looking for less than 1/3 of the calories to come from fat (multiply cals from fat by 3 and the result should be less than total calories. 90 x 3 = 270 ) and as already pointed out the 19 carbs is above restricted max!.

Once you read thru the alternative threads and take the IP acceptable nutrition stat to compare with something you are considering buying, you should be armed w/good tools to select alternatives.

Did you get the nutrition data you should be using from one of these threads?
__________________
Laurie

Met Goal Aug 2013
Rebooted Summer 2014

JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
mperkows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Corona CA
Posts: 24

S/C/G: 206/206/160

Height: 5'7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
I am guessing the higher calories on the drink must be from the higher protein e cause everything else about it looks good!

The bars are clearly way high on fat - you are looking for less than 1/3 of the calories to come from fat (multiply cals from fat by 3 and the result should be less than total calories. 90 x 3 = 270 ) and as already pointed out the 19 carbs is above restricted max!.

Once you read thru the alternative threads and take the IP acceptable nutrition stat to compare with something you are considering buying, you should be armed w/good tools to select alternatives.

Did you get the nutrition data you should be using from one of these threads?
I did get the nutrition data to use so I know NOW how and what to compare (Thanks to everyone for helping). Thank you

Last edited by mperkows : 09-13-2013 at 03:38 PM.
mperkows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 1,070

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkows View Post
I did get the nutrition data to use so I know NOW how and what to compare (Thanks to everyone for helping). Thank you
AWESOME! You are on your way!
__________________
Laurie

Met Goal Aug 2013
Rebooted Summer 2014

JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Carb Protein Shakes MamaJ Low Carb Frequently Asked Questions 21 06-07-2002 09:36 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:53 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2