Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #1  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Default Will a day of bad choices put you out of ketosis?

So...ended up spending the day unexpectedly prepping for a big social get together for work. Since it was unexpected I didn't adequately plan for lunch and dinner for the day. I was able to stick to shrimp and raw broccoli at dinner but had some meatballs which the sauce was prob not IP friendly and the cocktail sauce was a bad choice too. At lunch I had some of those pinwheels with turkey and cream cheese which I know is a no no, but it was the only option. But I did have a diet soda, first time since being on IP. So yeah, I screwed up. Feeling super guilty. Entered my calories into MFP and im double what my normal intake is. My question is, it takes about 4 days to get in ketosis, can one day of bad choices pull you out of it? Does anyone have any advice for me to mitigate the damage I've done? Should I cut out restricteds?

Good news is, I was able to stay away from the fruit, cream puffs, cookies, hummus dip, pita chips, etc and had about 15 glasses of water...but the damage was still done.
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
So...ended up spending the day unexpectedly prepping for a big social get together for work. Since it was unexpected I didn't adequately plan for lunch and dinner for the day. I was able to stick to shrimp and raw broccoli at dinner but had some meatballs which the sauce was prob not IP friendly and the cocktail sauce was a bad choice too. At lunch I had some of those pinwheels with turkey and cream cheese which I know is a no no, but it was the only option. But I did have a diet soda, first time since being on IP. So yeah, I screwed up. Feeling super guilty. Entered my calories into MFP and im double what my normal intake is. My question is, it takes about 4 days to get in ketosis, can one day of bad choices pull you out of it? Does anyone have any advice for me to mitigate the damage I've done? Should I cut out restricteds?

Good news is, I was able to stay away from the fruit, cream puffs, cookies, hummus dip, pita chips, etc and had about 15 glasses of water...but the damage was still done.
There really is nothing you can do after-the-fact that will lessen what you already did. It's primarily the carbs that affect Ketosis so you had some extra in the pinwheels and meatballs (both in the sauce which potentially had sugar and the meatballs which undoubtedly had breadcrumb fillers.) diet coke has Asparatame which is sometimes interpreted as sugar by the body and why it is not IP compliant. You also may have had more sodium which could lead to water weight gain.

Good news is that overall it doesn't sound awful and probably won't take you out of Ketosis. Also it takes 3500 calories to cause 1 pound of fat gain!

When you veer off plan the ONLY thing you can do is make sure that your very NEXT bite is OP!!

AND now for the TAKEAWAY - - expect the unexpected and have packets stashed everywhere... Purse, work, car, gym bag, etc. assume there will be times you cannot get home to eat as planned and will need to have options acceptable to you. Or Perhaps a very quick trip to a Subway for a chicken veggie salad could have saved the day for you!!

I have a feeling in the future you will have a plan for just this sort of thing!!!

Now MOVE ON!!

Last edited by JLUS; 09-12-2013 at 06:57 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #3  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

I would jump back on Phase 1 and stay positive. Today will be a great day and you will soon feel better. Don't be hard on yourself. We have all been in your shoes. It is the progress that is important..not the perfection.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #4  
Started IP August 14 2013

S/C/G: 216.5/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
...AND now for the TAKEAWAY - - expect the unexpected and have packets stashed everywhere... Purse, work, car, gym bag, etc. assume there will be times you cannot get home to eat as planned and will need to have options acceptable to you. Or Perhaps a very quick trip to a Subway for a chicken veggie salad could have saved the day
Thanks JLUS. For me as a newbie, this is helpful advice. I've got all ths shelf stable food - I should stash some in the office/car/bag. Making a plan to do just that.

Sorry about your misstep Meeshellee. Today is a new day.
vachinyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM   #5  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

@JLUS, @vachinyc, @Meeshellee - this is WONDERFUL advice; thank you so much for suggesting it JLUS and for the reiteration of its importance, vachinyc. Advice to live by while on IP and also when phasing off.. Planning ahead for both planned and unplanned moments that surface out of the blue, is the best rule of thumb. Time like these are bound to happen so best to stay armed with our plan friendly foods regardless of what day it is..

@Meeshellee - it's never too late to get back on the IP horse and start riding.. In times of challenge, we must challenge ourselves to produce NEXT LEVEL results so, push on through and remember, it's YOUR choice! *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachinyc View Post
Thanks JLUS. For me as a newbie, this is helpful advice. I've got all ths shelf stable food - I should stash some in the office/car/bag. Making a plan to do just that.

Sorry about your misstep Meeshellee. Today is a new day.
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #6  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Thanks everyone. Weighed this morning and I'm up 2.1 lbs from yesterday. I know I didnt have 7000+ calories, so some of that might be water I guess. Back on track today...this weekend I'll work on prepping my life for the unexpected. Thanks again for all your advice. I love this group!
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Any ideas for food on the run, not a packet? I have been stuck twice at dinner time with no plan, and not wanting to eat a 4th packet when I am supposed to be eating my veggie and protein meal. Salads are easy to get on the run, but unless you have your own dressing it doesn't work. A sit down meal at a restaurant is easy to plan, its the fast food replacement I can't replace.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default FF tough love advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post
Any ideas for food on the run, not a packet? I have been stuck twice at dinner time with no plan, and not wanting to eat a 4th packet when I am supposed to be eating my veggie and protein meal. Salads are easy to get on the run, but unless you have your own dressing it doesn't work. A sit down meal at a restaurant is easy to plan, its the fast food replacement I can't replace.
Best advice is to avoid FF places. Many many people turn their nose up at the mere mention of going into one.. You need to become a snob. The majority of people I know would skip a meal rather than eat in a FF place. Notice the thinnest people are VERY picky eaters...you need to become that person. You will eventually be known as a "picky eater".....not the person on a diet..and that is a great goal. That being said...if you would be skipping your second meal of the day...or really feel you can't wait: order the garden salad. No croutons. If they are small..order two salads. Also, Order a broiled chicken breast sandwich...extra lettuce, tomato and DILL pickles...no sauces and toss the bun. Chop the tomatoes and pickles and toss into the salad...Remember..you are working on your image as a picky eater. You honestly CAN get a salad into your tummy with no dressing. A squeeze of lemon if available may help...some salt and pepper. Don't lose sight of yourself.....you are trying to acquire healthier habits and tastes. Not trying to make this work by trying new ways of eating will not get you there for the long haul. Last advice...don't act like your deprived. Really!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #9  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
. You honestly CAN get a salad into your tummy with no dressing. A squeeze of lemon if available may help...some salt and pepper.
I find pickles on a salad act as a "dressing" on the go, or I just ask for a side of EVOO and white vinegar.
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeshellee View Post
Thanks everyone. Weighed this morning and I'm up 2.1 lbs from yesterday. I know I didnt have 7000+ calories, so some of that might be water I guess. Back on track today...this weekend I'll work on prepping my life for the unexpected. Thanks again for all your advice. I love this group!

There was probably a lot of sodium in the prepared food such as the meatballs. This shows up on the scale right away but will go away soon too.

Pat
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post
My biggest advice is to always have a plan and backup packets. I have them in my car, purse, lunch bag, desk at work and DH's car.

My food plan for today was made last nite. If something changes, I can switch to a plan B but it will definitely involve switching-out what was already planned.
You can ALWAYS have a salad and you don't need to bring your own dressing. You can use lemon, salt & pepper or salsa or oil & vinegar as a dressing. I rarely eat my occasional veggies at home so they are available for "Plan Bs). The other "problem" with just grabbing a salad is you STILL need to get in your veggies. Lettuce isn't a veggie on IP.

Planning ahead is essential to success. I just can't stress it enough.

For everyone: Is your entire food day planned? If it isn't, do it now!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingsusie View Post
I find pickles on a salad act as a "dressing" on the go, or I just ask for a side of EVOO and white vinegar.
In the states I've never found just vinegar or oil available in a FF place. All they have is their packaged stuff.

Restaurants are much more accommodating... But on the interstate and "stuck"... Was fresh out of luck! Everything dressing worthy is /was packaged the one time I found the need to punt this way. Anyone else who managed an IP meal at a true FF franchise should share their strategy... It's helpful to know when there is the will... There is a way.. Or more than one way to get through the meal.... and stay OP.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You do not need to be in ketosis to lose weight. If you go right back, there will be no damage. I have found that when being on a very low calorie diet that sometimes overeating once leads to a bigger loss within a week. Though I kept my overeating to protein and fat. I also refuse to feel guilty because this just sets you up for failure. Just plan ahead next time, keep to the plan and continue dieting. One bad day does not harm you. Feeling bad and then continue overeating does.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

65X65 - you are a lady full of wisdom! Your suggestions re eating out at FF places was very helpful. I have a good retired friend on a fixed income who loves to go to FF places for their salads - it is expensive to buy all the neat makings of a salad for her, so she treats herself to one at a FF place.

I go with her and I am not about to say 'no' to her for her treat. I have tried some strategies, some successful and some not. I ordered one salad "spicy chicken" thinking that when I stirred up the lettuce, the spices and a bit of lemon juice would give me a sort of dressing.

I did not think, since I never eat FF, to ask about the chicken! "Spicy chicken" means spicy FRIED chicken. I tried to pick off all the coating only to discover there was practically NO chicken inside - it was pieces of fried fry! Also removed the black olives, declined the croutons, the dressing, the cheese.

Not a success at all. I will work harder to ASK questions and just find a way to moisten the lettuce or think to pack a packet o Walden Farms dressing in my purse.

Each day is a learning experience on IP.
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #15  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
In the states I've never found just vinegar or oil available in a FF place. All they have is their packaged stuff.

Restaurants are much more accommodating... But on the interstate and "stuck"... Was fresh out of luck! Everything dressing worthy is /was packaged the one time I found the need to punt this way. Anyone else who managed an IP meal at a true FF franchise should share their strategy... It's helpful to know when there is the will... There is a way.. Or more than one way to get through the meal.... and stay OP.
I've lucked out with vinegar packets at FF places, but no olive oil. I wonder what vinegar mixed with mustard would taste like on a salad? lol
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote