Old 02-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'8"

I teach belly dance and work out with a trainer. I did tell my trainer we needed to switch me to less weight more reps. My coaches were worried about the caloric intake with intense exercise. Haven't found my dancing has adversely effect my weight loss, but I did limit it at first while I was on a break.
CrimsonKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/160

Height: 5'5

I do yoga once a week and workout with a resistance band a few times a week, plus I try to walk half an hour (weather permitting) a day. I find it very helpful for my energy levels.
tinespeens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #18  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKitten View Post
I teach belly dance and work out with a trainer. I did tell my trainer we needed to switch me to less weight more reps. My coaches were worried about the caloric intake with intense exercise. Haven't found my dancing has adversely effect my weight loss, but I did limit it at first while I was on a break.
I'm just curious here.
Why less weight and more reps? That would almost be more aerobic.
I would stick to more weight less reps and maybe less sets.
Regardless, how is it working in terms of your lean muscle mass?
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 261/254/160

Height: 5'6

I'm on my second run with ideal protein...I plan to do light walking and weight training 3-4 days per week. I'm hoping it doesn't cause my weight loss to stall.
Stepha0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #20  
Start 2014

S/C/G: 206/170/160

Height: 5'5"

I exercised the entire time I was on Ideal Protein. I watched my cardio so it wasn't too high for long durations but I really feel it helped me lose quicker and and I had great muscle tone after the fat was gone.
carlasherea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 165.5/146/135 or size 4

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
I'm just curious here.
Why less weight and more reps? That would almost be more aerobic.
I would stick to more weight less reps and maybe less sets.
Regardless, how is it working in terms of your lean muscle mass?
i think that's exactly why! you need carbs to fuel anaerobic exercise (ie weight lifting) but not as much for aerobic exercise. i hope i'm not getting that backward! i'm pretty sure i just read that somewhere this morning because i was looking for info on exercising on ketogenic diets. they said if you're going to lift weights you should have some carbs right before, maybe 20-30 minutes before you exercise.
wantanewme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantanewme View Post
i think that's exactly why! you need carbs to fuel anaerobic exercise (ie weight lifting) but not as much for aerobic exercise. i hope i'm not getting that backward! i'm pretty sure i just read that somewhere this morning because i was looking for info on exercising on ketogenic diets. they said if you're going to lift weights you should have some carbs right before, maybe 20-30 minutes before you exercise.
Yep, it is likely I who have it backwards.
You have to have calories to gain muscle.
So the higher reps with lower weights would be more for fat loss.
After nearly 2 years I am still trying to figure that out!
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #23  

btw i'm glad someone asked this because i was just coming to ask myself. i'm back doing ip (maybe with alternatives, not sure yet) after a 2 month detour. i started working out with a trainer twice a week for hour-long sessions a month ago and would like to continue working out. at this point between the trainer, cardio, and at home dvds, i'm working out 7 days a week. i want to scale back a little but continue my workouts. don't want to stress out my body too much or slow losses though. so i'll be back to hopefully see more responses. thanks in advance
Old 02-24-2014, 02:51 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantanewme View Post
btw i'm glad someone asked this because i was just coming to ask myself. i'm back doing ip (maybe with alternatives, not sure yet) after a 2 month detour. i started working out with a trainer twice a week for hour-long sessions a month ago and would like to continue working out. at this point between the trainer, cardio, and at home dvds, i'm working out 7 days a week. i want to scale back a little but continue my workouts. don't want to stress out my body too much or slow losses though. so i'll be back to hopefully see more responses. thanks in advance
The first time thru p1, when I did the training at the end, we started with conditioning (maybe after a month you are past that point?), and I had IP drink before and after. I was using the mango pre-made (which is higher in calories and protein) and chocolate drink mix, my favorite. Both body fat and lean mass went down at a similar rate to pre-exercise, I believe, possibly a little too much LM because it really wasn't enough calories. My last 10 pounds were 130 to 120. I (at 53 then) was working out with my young teen daughter (of 14 then). We did 5 days at the gym, an active day (like take a hike or walk) and one rest day. We were pathetically out of shape to start and hit the salt often (no passing out and no throwing up).

With the reset (2 weeks p1, 1 week p2, 1 week p3), it is just me at 55, looking at 4 days per week with 3 days lifting and 1 day with the trainer. Dietwise, I've done it wrong. The results are body fat % down, but lean mass went down too. More fat lost than lean mass, so for 8.9 lbs lost, 6.1 fat and 2.8 lean (per calipers), the ratio is about 2.17 fat for each lb of lean which isn't that great. I didn't do the extra packet like I should have. Bioimpedence looks like 7.4lbs lost, 5.51 fat and 1.89 lm, or about 2.9 to 1. I think it is thought that we would lose 1lb LM for each 4 lbs weight, so I'm arguably OK. I physically feel great and am so much stronger than when I started, and a lot more comfortable in the gym.

Do consider at least 1 rest day, and alternate your cardio days and weight training days or however you sequence it so you have at least a day between working the same body part again. You can do cardio the same day as weight training, you just don't want to do, say, squats every day but you can do lower body one day, upper body the next, then back to lower, etc.

Let us know how it works out!

Last edited by infoplease; 02-26-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #25  

Thanks for the great info! I brought this up to my trainer today and we are going to discuss it further when we meet on Wednesday. She told me right off the bat that she wants me eating no fewer than 1200 net calories to be able to keep up with the intensity we've been going through. I suspect what I will end up doing is following a ketogenic diet with a few hundred extra calories that come from healthy fats, nuts, and cheese, instead of a 100% ip protocol. I was on ip for about 3 months at the end of 2013 and there is no way I'd be able to sustain my current workouts on 900 calories a day. My trainer is great about mixing up cardio and strength training and hitting different muscle groups on different days. Thanks for your input. Will update once I get into a groove.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:32 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 206/145/145

Height: 5'2"

I was discouraged from exercising during P1. I am glad to hear your stories of incorporating exercise and being successful on the plan
smallerin2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'8"

My Coach was concerned that higher weights might be too intense since the calories being consumed are very low. Higher weight less reps is usually used to build strength while more reps lighter weights is the traditional practice to have leaner muscles. Current research indicates a mix of the two is optimal.
CrimsonKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #28  
finale

S/C/G: 241 11/13/13, GW 180

Height: 5' 3"

I have been exercising the whole time I have been on IP. I do spin class 2-3 times a week, a muscle pump(weight lifting) class 2x's a week, and another aerobic class during the week and I try to jog at least 2 x's a week. I have been carrying alot of weight for many years and I do an extra packet or hard boiled egg on the days I exercise.
finale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 PM   #29  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

I'm starting week 3 my coach says swimming, water aerobics, and yoga are fine I just shouldn't breath hard was his advice.
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #30  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Yoga question

I'm going to have do a 2 week program of individual Iyengar yoga to address leg problems. It's 2 hrs/day at 6am. I'd appreciate ideas for whether to eat extra carbs or extra protein, and before or after. I haven't been physically active other than work for a long time. My current diet is generally no more than 40 carbs/day.

Thanks for any ideas!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote