Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #76  

S/C/G: 180.2/139/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh my god ladies, I had a dream last night that I was drinking some sort of juice box and I looked down and saw 13 grams of sugar and freaked out!!!! It felt so real. I woke up still feeling panicked!!!! So strange!
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #77  
sugar is the devil

I started August 12 So far I've been 100% OP and plan to keep it that way
Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #78  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 View Post
Oh my god ladies, I had a dream last night that I was drinking some sort of juice box and I looked down and saw 13 grams of sugar and freaked out!!!! It felt so real. I woke up still feeling panicked!!!! So strange!
HaHa! I also had a dream that I was making a sandwich......with bread! I kept saying to myself, "no, wait, I can't have bread...." and kept making the sandwich as if I was helpless to stop! But I didn't end up eating it!
Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #79  

S/C/G: 247/232/175

I'm curious about how everyone got here. What brought you to an Ideal Protein program?

For me it was really not voluntary. It was a small blocked artery in the central part of my heart that cannot be stented because it's gone (completely blocked with no blood flow gone). It's never good to be laying on the table during a heart catheterization and listening to the doctors and techs come in and out baffled by what they see. I have no other signs of plaque build-up in my arteries and thankfully my heart looks great. I'm only 47. I'm "morbidly obese", my triglycerides are high, my cholesterol is normal for a regular person but too high for someone with heart disease, my blood pressure is just a little elevated, and my resting heart rate is too high. I'm now on 5 kinds of medicine. I can't exercise until I get my angina (chest pressure) under control. I'm doing IP to pretty much save my life.
I lost 25 pounds earlier this year doing weight watchers with my 16 year old. (she's lost 47 so far!!) I was not good with the freedom and gained 1/2 back over the summer when my college age son was home and I had more food in the house. I'm back down to 230 which is where I was in April.
My finish line is not concrete. I'm not going for a number on the scale. I'm certainly not going for the ones on those awful charts. The "right" weight has always been an issue for me. I've always weighed more than I look because of my muscle mass etc. (I use to be a super jock) So for me the end will happen when the triglycerides are at a good place, and the belly fat is no longer putting me at such high risk. I suspect that means at least 50 pounds before I will transition to phase 2.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #80  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

slownsteady - your words are more than welcome and very helpful. I would always hope that on this site we are safe and comfortable expressing our thoughts with the understanding that they will always be viewed according to "intent" - to give AND to get support.

Something struck a chord when you talk about just shutting up and doing it quietly (or words to that effect). I decided that since this is something like my 325th attempt to lose weight, I would not talk to anyone about it. I quietly eat what I eat and just distract the conversation when anyone makes a comment about what is on my plate.

My exception to this is our daughter who started the IP with her husband back in July. They have been my inspiration and she is my support - answers questions when I have them and gives me love and encouragement. She is the only one (other than this site) who knows my weight. I have discovered that doing it in secret is fun - sort of I know something that no one else does, and it is good...and fun...

Let's see how long before my husband cottons on the fact that my strange "food moods" have actually changed what I wear and how I feel. Hum.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #81  
Started IP 8/12/13

S/C/G: 226/183.6/150

Height: 5'1''

I also started on August 12th!! Excited for the future! Love IP!

To answer amyllf2 question, I've always been "fat" "plump""chubby". I've always wanted to lose weight but have never really put forth enough effort to fully complete anything. I'd start going to the gym but never followed through .. Or I'd start eating healthy but I'd have my "cheats" which I called deserved treats. It got to a point where I didn't get on the scale for years afraid of what I'd see because I knew I wouldn't be happy with the number and I knew I'd want to make effort to change it but I didn't want to so I avoided the scale. Earlier this yea I agreed after much persuasion from my pushy roomie/co worker to be apart of my jobs biggest loser challenge. I only agreed to be apart if I could be weight keeper. I knew if I was weight keeper no one would have to see how much I weighed. Any who with a couple of food choice changes I lost ten pounds in eight weeks! I was elated but didn't keep it up. I went back to my old eating habits sneaking in things I cut out of my diet little by little. I knew about ideal protein and was very against it when I was first introduced because of the cost of the program. I was also convinced it was a fad diet and that the 15% of the people at my church who had joined would regain the weight back within the next year (a trend at my church since the early 90's) .. Long story short I found out I could do the program on my own with alternatives and here I am today going steady .. Staying 100% OP. starting to tell ppl I'm on a cleanse cause I get weird looks and remarks when I tell them why I can't have certain foods especially fruit .. Lol I'm sure you've all heard them
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #82  

S/C/G: IP Restart: 181.2/175.6/130

slownsteady, I agree with the other posters - accountability is important and your shares are certainly made with good intentions in that regard! If losing weight was easy, none of us would be searching these boards for support, right?

As far as amy11f's questions about what brought me to IP, it was basically that nothing else was working. I had always struggled with being about 20 pounds overweight and then in the last 5 years I lost 2 of the closest people to me and totally turned to food to comfort myself - bad idea! I gained about another 50 over that 20 I was already working on. Once I came to my senses and started finding healthier ways to cope, the damage was already done. I've been trying to lose weight for the last year or so, and nothing was working. I went to a dietician and she put me on a healthy plan, but the weight was still not coming off, even with being really committed to eating well and exercising. So frustrating! My doc recommended IP as a way to jumpstart things and so far I'm happy I started! I'm in the middle of week 3 - lost a total of 5 in the first 2 weeks, which I know is lower than what many others on these boards have accomplished when they began, but it is so much more than what I was losing before that it's still a positive result. Hopefully things will keep moving along!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #83  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

clbott - If you are like me, I have had years and years of doing the wrong things for myself. It is time to do the RIGHT things, to follow someone ELSE'S rules - because I obviously wasn't doing what I needed to or I would not be in the position I am in now.

-This is actually great advice, I hadn't thought of it that way! I don't know if I can totally stay off of it, but I will keep your words in mind for sure! Thank you
Old 09-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 298/262/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownsteady View Post
HaHa! I also had a dream that I was making a sandwich......with bread! I kept saying to myself, "no, wait, I can't have bread...." and kept making the sandwich as if I was helpless to stop! But I didn't end up eating it!
Twice now I have dreamed that I had a free-for-all and cheated horribly. We are talking, cake, ice cream, fattening Mexican food, etc.! I woke up so upset with myself, then realized it was just a dream!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 298/262/150

What brought me to the IP program? Several things were a catalyst for my decision. I have been about 150 pounds overweight for about 15 years now, having gained an enormous amount of weight after a very stressful event took place in my family. To cope, I simply ate my way through it, and after things got better, I continued to gain weight, developing diabetes in the process. I even had the lap-band put in, but it did not work for me because it causes such acid reflux in me.

A couple of things brought me here. First, my MIL came to visit in June. She is 78 years old and gets around better than me. That is ridiculous, as I am 47 and should be able to get around fine. My knees were starting to bother me, another bad sign. Then of all things, a DOG FOOD BAG is what did it for me. Yep, you read that right. I went to the vet's office to get my dog his food. I was carrying a 27 pound bag of dog food over my shoulder and thinking, "good grief, this is heavy". And it hit me, if I could just lose the equivalent of one dog food bag, I would feel so much better. So that is my short-term goal. To lose one dog food bag at a time, LOL. So far, I have lost 17 pounds, so I am well on my way.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #86  
Reboot 10/24/15 - Age 49

S/C/G: 217.5/202.3/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sparky View Post
A couple of things brought me here. First, my MIL came to visit in June. She is 78 years old and gets around better than me. That is ridiculous, as I am 47 and should be able to get around fine. My knees were starting to bother me, another bad sign. Then of all things, a DOG FOOD BAG is what did it for me. Yep, you read that right. I went to the vet's office to get my dog his food. I was carrying a 27 pound bag of dog food over my shoulder and thinking, "good grief, this is heavy". And it hit me, if I could just lose the equivalent of one dog food bag, I would feel so much better. So that is my short-term goal. To lose one dog food bag at a time, LOL. So far, I have lost 17 pounds, so I am well on my way.
I read this and got misty eyed. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #87  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

I realized I needed to lose weight when my DH and I started doing estate planning. (He is a disabled veteran and has a traumatic brain injury, balance issues, PTSD, etc.) and when we were setting up funeral arrangements and living wills etc we started talking about what would happen to each of us if the other was to die first. Then we started talking about the scarier (and more likely) option of what if one of us was to become immobolized by illness or accident or time. (he will eventually be unable to walk).

Three things became very clear

1-If I didn't lose weight I would burden my DH with the task of caring for me - something that with his TBI and health, he simply couldn't do.

2-when his condition worsens, I would eventually be able to not physically care for him.

3- That was the single scariest conversation I have ever had. Both scenarios sucked and both would be worsened by my refusal to at least try to do something about my weight.

Now - I know that nothing is certain in life and Im not guaranteed anything, but I can't not try. I had simply had not thought out the effects of my (then)current lifestyle through to its logical conclusion.

ETA - I found IP through this forum - I lurked forever and this program "called" to me the most - I guess that it was a combination of the people here and the protocal itself. - So Thanks Everyone!

Last edited by clbott; 09-03-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 199.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

What brought me to IP was a few things. First, I am tired of being tired and sore all the time. The aches and pains I had from getting to till going to bed were just too much. I just wanted to feel better. Secondly, I was tired of thinking of myself as "the fat one", in all the photos I see of myself I am fat the only one in my family, extended family or in-laws that is fat. I could hear people saying things like she would be so pretty if she lost weight. I knew I needed to lose weight but like so much of us other programs didn't work. On Other programs where I could eat what I wanted in moderation, I couldn't stop eating the things I wanted.

A dr I work with (I am a rn) had been on this program and lost 60 lbs, 40" and 20% body fat, and looks great. She suggested this program and I am so happy she did. I have found that I need an absolute program, I can have this and not that. I never thought I would like this type of program but it is a God send for me. These forums and the support here has kept me going while I am not perfect I know I can do this.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #89  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

Good for you! A dog food bag.. please be sure to post when you have lost one and we will all surely cheer you on
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sparky View Post
What brought me to the IP program? Several things were a catalyst for my decision. I have been about 150 pounds overweight for about 15 years now, having gained an enormous amount of weight after a very stressful event took place in my family. To cope, I simply ate my way through it, and after things got better, I continued to gain weight, developing diabetes in the process. I even had the lap-band put in, but it did not work for me because it causes such acid reflux in me.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #90  
Restart - June17/15

S/C/G: 221/215/160

Height: 5"6

I have always been a bit on the heavier side but nothing major, and always had an hourglass figure, big boobs and butt lol.. smaller waist so I was even.. but I have been single for the last 5 years and I think I have spent most of the time, when dates weren't working out, eating at home on couch so I have gained a lot of weight over the past years.. I need to get healthy I am not getting any younger, want to be more fit.. I am terrified to know what my bosy fat percentage is- I am guessing around 50 ughh.. and can't lie I want to be hot!! feel better about myself to get out there in the dating world again.. I am 45 and I figure it's now or never.. my kids are gone off on their own, to school, so not cooking for anyone else.. so now it's all about me and my health and looks I will not cheat, not once.. it's to damn expensive and I am not going to fail.. it's not an option.

I am going to stay on IP until Dec 16th, phase off for xmas, give my body a break, and restart in the new year for whatever weight I still need to lose. I have a plan and will follow through - failing is not an option

I am soo happy I found this website and forum.. we are all in it together.. I think the support and encouragement we give each other here is fantastic!
Closed Thread