Old 08-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #16  
Started IP Aug 19, 2013

S/C/G: 218/187.5/144

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthayer View Post
Buy a rutabaga and make fries, you will be glad you did!! Never had it until this diet and even if I was OFF the diet I would still eat rutabaga!! So good!!!
Didn't know rutabaga was taken off! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
(and try not to have more than 2 cups for any one meal - too many carbs at once)!
Didn't know this either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I'm obsessed with roasted veggies. Cabbage, turnips, zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, etc.

Line a cookie sheet with foil, mist with Pam, sprinkle on sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.

Roast at 350* until golden brown. Amazing!
Yes, this DOES sound good!

Just read the last post - WHAT? No Red/Yellow peppers? That is MY staple! Sautéed in a hot skillet with the oil allowance until begins to carmelize a little. Maybe THAT'S the reason. They likely have too much sugar in them? Like onions - which we can only have raw?
slownsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: Reboot 2014

Height: 5' 5"

I am slightly obsessed with grilled zucchini.

Cut it in cubes or slices, toss with a little olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite seasoning. Grill it in a grill basket until it is softened/looks bbq'd.
Sprinkle with salt and enjoy!

I put a homemade rub on all my veggies when I grill them. My favorites are zucchini, cauliflower and grilled broccoli. This helps you avoid the broccoli funk!
berteau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 298/262/150

Height: 5'4"

I tried my first batch of turnip "fries" last week, and they were delicious. Just peel the turnip, cut up into strips, toss with olive oil, add spices such as onion powder and garlic powder, bake on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 10 minutes, at about 400. Delicious!
mom2sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 201/189.6/130

Now that I've learned cauliflower needs to be very dry before I roast it, it has become one of my favorites. My #1 favorite is, zuchinni that has been julienned (julienne peeler has become my favorite kitchen tool) and sauteed with a bit of EVOO. Sometimes I sprinkle add some garlic but it's great with just sea salt. Also great with red sauce on my tomato day.

Can't wait to try some of these suggestions!!!
Jbhigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #20  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

I do love to roast my veggies and I make a salad with cucumbers, zucchini, onions and a few tomatoes with sea salt & pepper tossed in WF Italian. It's even better the next day. But my latest obsession, with the sun setting earlier and the temps dropping a bit, is fritters. I take one cup of shredded zucchini (squeezed in a towel to remove liquid) add 1/2 t baking powder, sea salt, chili pepper flakes & dried onion to taste. Mix then add one pancake mix, stir again. Finally I add 1 beaten egg. Could probably just do two egg whites also, but I haven't tried it. Stir until just mixed. Drop by a rounded T on pam sprayed skillet. Don't flip until they are good & brown. I get SEVEN fritters! Very satisfying and makes me a happy camper.

The possibilities are endless...different seasonings & veggie combinations.
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 228.8/170/140

Height: 5'3"

I usually eat cucumbers and green peppers daily. It feels like a cheat when I occasionally add a red or yellow pepper into the mix(occasional veggies). One medium cuke is about 2 cups. The peppers that I choose are usually 2 cups. It's nice and easy.

I also love, love , love zucchini. It is so versatile. It is yummy roasted/grilled. I use a spiral slicer to make zucchini noodles- just love a good shrimp scampi with those noodles. Also, I cut them up like apples and cook it with some Walden Farms Apple butter and cinnamon to it make it taste like apples.

On weekends I'll cut up a bunch of zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and grill or roast them give them some evoo and sea salt and you're good to go. Sometimes I will cook some mushrooms in a sauté pan with some egg whites.

I buy my produce from a natural food store - all produce grown in CT and mostly organic. The veggies really do have more flavor than regular supper market veggies. My husband was surprised that the green peppers taste so good.

Algae is seaweed. I have enjoyed a seaweed salad when going out for sashimi (sushi without the rice).

There is so much to enjoy.

Last edited by Cynaria; 08-31-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Cynaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 199.5/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I have to copy some of these recipies.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to cut the Rudabega, without an axe? LOL
I can do anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 290/268.4/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sparky View Post
I tried my first batch of turnip "fries" last week, and they were delicious. Just peel the turnip, cut up into strips, toss with olive oil, add spices such as onion powder and garlic powder, bake on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes, then flip and bake another 10 minutes, at about 400. Delicious!
Same here. I had never eaten a turnip before this diet. I made turnip fries last week, and they were great. I used onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, italian seasoning, sea salt, and black pepper. You wouldn't think so many seasonings would work well together, but it did.

I have also become addicted to fried rice (made with cauliflower). You would never know you were eating cauliflower. I will continue to eat this long after I finish this plan.
DivaDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #24  

Okay. NOW I am frustrated.

Where does this info come from????

We have SO.MANY. bad coaches out there!!!
Two incorrect vegetable lists have been posted and people are confused. I even see posts on other threads about it.

The most recent IP protocol is clearly in the stickies and there is a link EVERY.DAY. in the daily chat.

(I just edited and linked it here too)

HERE IS THE CORRECT LIST OF SELECT VEGGIES: (cut/pasted directly from the 2/2013 protocol sheet (or 3/2013)

Vegetables
Select:
Algae, Alfalfa, Asparagus, Arugula, Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Bean Sprouts, Cauliflower, Cabbage (red, pak choi, bok choy), Celery, Celeriac, Chicory, Collards, Cress, Cucumbers, Dill Pickles, Endive, Fennel, Field Salad, Green Onions, Jicama, Kale, Kohlrabi, Leeks, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions (raw only), Hot Peppers, Radicchio, Radish, Rhubarb (cooked), Sauerkraut, Sorrel, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Turnip, Watercress, Zucchini

Occasional (You may only choose two items per week from this list): Brussels sprouts, Beans (Green & Wax), Eggplant, Palm Hearts, Rutabaga, Snow Peas, Tomato

All colors of bell peppers are allowed!
Rutabaga was moved to occasional (it wasn't removed all together)
THIS LIST DOES NOT INCLUDE SOYA

I'm so glad people were talking about jicama, even tho it wasn't on either incorrect list.
It is very versatile.

I find cauliflower the most versatile of all. You can mash it into mock mashed potatoes, roast it, shred into "rice", even make it into "hummus".
I substitute it in potato salad recipe & use WF mayo and haven't missed any summer salads! Before IP, I rarely ate the stuff.

I find I'm eating more salads for dinner, just because I'm "out" of veggies for the day. When I first started IP, I wondered how people "got in" 4 c. veggies/day and now I can't wait til goal, when I can add more! I eat a balance of cooked and raw but really prefer them cooked.
I've been putting my meat from dinner on a bed of about 4c (loosely measured) chopped romaine or leaf lettuce, purchased at the farmer's market within the past few days (I love summer & the freshest produce!).

Avalon1957: I tried to PM you but you're not accepting PMs. Could you please edit your posts to correct or remove the incorrect info to reduce future confusion? Thanks. edit: thanks for editing

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-15-2013 at 01:23 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

THANK YOU Lisa for posting the CURRENT veggie list.

It might be a good idea for everyone reading here to compare the list from their coach to the posted CURRENT P1 list. It is clear that many coaches DO NOT choose to stay current with IP changes. It is unconscionable that they are willing to take people's money but NOT willing to keep up with the correct program!!

Arm yourselves everyone!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Thanks Lisa, I have been following that veggie list, I have seen on this site people using yellow summer squash, I specifically asked my coach about it and they said NO. ??? Zucchini yes, yellow no, too much sugar? I used to eat only the yellow and never a fan of zucchini. I now do a a stir fry for dinner at least 4 nights a week with different veggies but always zucchini in it.
sonolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonolady View Post
Thanks Lisa, I have been following that veggie list, I have seen on this site people using yellow summer squash, I specifically asked my coach about it and they said NO. ??? Zucchini yes, yellow no, too much sugar? I used to eat only the yellow and never a fan of zucchini. I now do a a stir fry for dinner at least 4 nights a week with different veggies but always zucchini in it.
We've also heard MIXED RESPONSES on this from coaches!!

The nutrition on a cup of
zucchini = 4 carb. 1.5 fiber 2 sugar
Yellow crook neck squash = 5 carb. 2 fiber. 1 sugar
NOTE: statistics do vary slightly on both depending on where you look. ALSO yellow crook neck is not specified on the approved list (though it is sometimes referred to as yellow zucchini!)

My suspicion is that coaches like many others are not as familiar with this kind of yellow squash and when they hear yellow squash they are thinking of the wintery kinds that are higher carb!!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-31-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Jlus,

Ahhh, but here in New England the yellow squash is everywhere so I'm not sure of that but it seems that it can be used just as the zucchini?

Has anyone been eating the yellow summer squash with not impact on the plan?
sonolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

sonolady: I use both green zucchini and yellow summer squash as my primary veggies. I've become slightly obsessed with roasting them.

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 08-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonolady View Post
Jlus,

Ahhh, but here in New England the yellow squash is everywhere so I'm not sure of that but it seems that it can be used just as the zucchini?

Has anyone been eating the yellow summer squash with not impact on the plan?
I have used yellow and green equally throughout.

I sincerely think many coaches are thinking if winter squashes - not what we are referring to here!!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-31-2013 at 09:44 AM.