Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 156/124/125

Height: 5'4"

I asked the coaches at least 4 times about the yellow squash and they just kept telling me its not on the plan, no real answer as to why, its just not on the list. ?? I hate when they just "tow the line " and don't know why.

I think I will add it to my list of veggies...
sonolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #32  

Thank you Jlus and IPN, I find I get much more help and guidance here than from the clinic.

I keep looking for Jicama, I am dying to try it but cant find it anywhere....
Old 08-31-2013, 09:48 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonolady View Post
I asked the coaches at least 4 times about the yellow squash and they just kept telling me its not on the plan, no real answer as to why, its just not on the list. ?? I hate when they just "tow the line " and don't know why.

I think I will add it to my list of veggies...
It definitely is not on the list so probably best each decide for ones self. There are many things that fall w/in IP guidelines not on the list...

Don't label me a rebel for eating off the list!! I actually grew up with it being called yellow zucchini so I honestly didn't think of it as not approved until I saw a discussion several months ago here. I checked the nutrition stats and decided they are pretty much the same as zucchini!

Last edited by JLUS; 08-31-2013 at 09:51 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #34  
Started IP 03/06/2013

S/C/G: 198.8/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Jlus,

Ahhh, but here in New England the yellow squash is everywhere so I'm not sure of that but it seems that it can be used just as the zucchini?

Has anyone been eating the yellow summer squash with not impact on the plan?
I've been using yellow zucchini (which is what I know it as) interchangeably with the green. I don't feel like it impacts my losses; I'm a slow loser with or without yellow zucchini.
WillowVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #35  

WillowVee Thanks, I am with you the weight is slow to leave my body, but I have less to lose. I think my body is happy where it is and I am not. LOL. I'm going to treat the yellow as the green. The scale hasn't move in 10 days so its not going to hurt at this point, the inches havent changed either.grrrrrrrrrr
Old 08-31-2013, 11:41 AM   #36  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Jlus,

Ahhh, but here in New England the yellow squash is everywhere so I'm not sure of that but it seems that it can be used just as the zucchini?

I use both. Have them growing in my garden. Don't know what I'll do when they are gone. I eat them everyday!
SuzieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #37  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I've used both all along with no problems at all.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #38  

Quote:
Thanks Lisa, I have been following that veggie list, I have seen on this site people using yellow summer squash, I specifically asked my coach about it and they said NO. ??? Zucchini yes, yellow no, too much sugar? I used to eat only the yellow and never a fan of zucchini. I now do a a stir fry for dinner at least 4 nights a week with different veggies but always zucchini in it.
Quote:
Jlus,

As others have said, yellow crooked neck summer squash is often referred to as zucchini, also. The nutritional stats are so.close to green zucchini.
I use them interchangeably (or together), as well

Again, as I keep saying, we have coaches who only know what they are told. They are not "experts".

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-31-2013 at 12:14 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #39  

Thank you all!!! I've listened to them for 8 weeks on that one, but I'm done with straight zucchini...the green one anyway.

Lisa I am making the mockamole later and the crackers for the first time. I'm looking forward to trying them.

This site is a wonderful place for guidance, support and ideas.........
Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #40  

Quote:
Thank you all!!! I've listened to them for 8 weeks on that one, but I'm done with straight zucchini...the green one anyway.

Lisa I am making the mockamole later and the crackers for the first time. I'm looking forward to trying them.

This site is a wonderful place for guidance, support and ideas.........
It is what has kept me OP since July 30, 2012 and I credit it with my 95+ lb weight loss. Community is so important!

Last edited by lisa32989; 09-01-2013 at 06:51 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #41  

Thank you, Lisa and others, for clarifying the coloured bell peppers - I had spoken to my coach about that before when someone else had posted about it just being green ones and she said, no all colours. I love cutting up peppers for a snack!

I made a foil packet of fresh mushrooms, shredded cabbage, peppers and green beans, a bit of EVOO, sea salt and fresh pepper - yum with a steak!

I also love asparagus, sprinkle of bit of EVOO, fresh spices and roast in the oven.

Lots of great ideas - keep them coming!

Jo
PurpleMomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #42  

Lisa way to go and stick with it!!!!!! You are an inspiration to all of us, I know you've mentioned slow progress with ups and downs........... we/I shouldn't complain or feel discouraged with a couple slow weeks.

My hubby always says I need instant satisfaction and can't wait for anything......he is right on somethings, but others I can wait for. I want that scale to move NOW! It just doesnt want to listen to me or move as fast as I want it to. I just keep to the plan, no cheating and keep plugging along. I thought the gym with light weights, strength training would help the scale. I'm not sure if its helping or not, but its helping me to get stronger and tone up. I do have an xtra protein after the gym either a Syntrax shake or peach mango pkg. I hate the taste of peach mango but its the least calorie and carb, I double the water guzzle it and then gag...lol. The rasp jelly is just as bad to me.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 214.4/170/165

Height: 5'6"

So I made the jicama applesauce by pureeing it in my Magic Bullet, and it's ok! I added a little water, cinnamon, nutmeng, and splenda, and it tastes kind of like applesauce, and has a mushy texture, like applesauce... I also chopped up half odf on, sliced into "fries" annd shook them in a bag with splenda and cinnamon, and they were good to. Might be my new goto...
MidgieMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 287.6/ticker!!/140

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynaria View Post
I usually eat cucumbers and green peppers daily. It feels like a cheat when I occasionally add a red or yellow pepper into the mix(occasional veggies). One medium cuke is about 2 cups. The peppers that I choose are usually 2 cups. It's nice and easy.

I also love, love , love zucchini. It is so versatile. It is yummy roasted/grilled. I use a spiral slicer to make zucchini noodles- just love a good shrimp scampi with those noodles. Also, I cut them up like apples and cook it with some Walden Farms Apple butter and cinnamon to it make it taste like apples.

On weekends I'll cut up a bunch of zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and grill or roast them give them some evoo and sea salt and you're good to go. Sometimes I will cook some mushrooms in a sauté pan with some egg whites.

I buy my produce from a natural food store - all produce grown in CT and mostly organic. The veggies really do have more flavor than regular supper market veggies. My husband was surprised that the green peppers taste so good.

Algae is seaweed. I have enjoyed a seaweed salad when going out for sashimi (sushi without the rice).

There is so much to enjoy.
I'm in se ct too? Which market do you like?
Sonyasbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:38 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 287.6/ticker!!/140

Height: 5'3

Jicama- love it. I use a large cheese grater and grate it. Then add spices and sometimes an egg white and saute like hash browns. Enjoy it w big mac in a bowl or w eggs. Yum!

Last edited by Sonyasbug; 08-31-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Sonyasbug is offline   Reply With Quote