Old 08-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #1  

Default Fall Tailgating - need ideas

Okay, I'll be traveling to the state of Michigan (not the school) to tailgate at a football game next Friday nite (if you know Michigan schools, you know by my chosen colors where I'm going!)

The REAL reason for going up there is that when my dad died 2 years ago, he donated his remains to the university and his ashes are ready for pick up. We're going to complete his final wishes next weekend too. Dad would have approved of adding a football game to the weekend

Did I say I'll be TRAVELING? 500 miles away from my kitchen.
I don't do too many sweet IP packs, sweet makes me hungrier. I prefer the savory packets. I'm also not a fan of most packets by themselves & usually doctor them (potato/zucchini pancakes, soups with veggie purees, oatmeal/zuccini pancakes).

So, what can I do ahead-of-time for my weekend away and for tailgate food?
Do Potato muffins keep? Potato pancakes reheated in tinfoil on a grill? (I've made them & cut them like a quesadilla before)

I know I can do restricteds but I'm looking for what will work with the non-restricteds too. The RTDs are too sweet for me. I'm okay with planning my veggies for take-along, its the packet cooking/keeping/reheating I'm wondering about. What tastes good NOT reheated?

What can I cook with IP packs/veggies that will keep & re-heat well?
I know I can eat meat and veggies but that is just one meal.

At home I usually have my blender & microwave but won't necessarily have that stuff on the road (still trying to figure out accommodations). Won't necessarily be able to rely on my soup with veggie puree or my spinach smoothies (altho I'm considering just pureeing the spinach ahead-of-time)

It is not too soon to plan ahead to stay 100% OP
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 337/164/160

Height: 5' 6.5" ('cuz the .5 counts!)

Every time we travel, I make up 2 or 3 omelets with 1 cup of peppers in each ahead of time. They will keep even in a cooler for the next 3 days and I eat them cold, room temp or nuked.

Kale chips travel well too.
ptod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #3  

Ptod!!!!!. There you are!!!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #4  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

hi ptod!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hi momHOTTiE!!!

lisa...i really wish i had some answers for you!!! i have yet to find anything, and i mean ANYTHING that is IP that REHEATS well. I am fussy about textures and do NOT like rubbery textures.

i have had NO luck with muffins!!! they always deflate and have a rubbery texture even though the taste is pretty good.

the jalapeno buns....are the only thing i found that i like cold. they make a pretty good ham sammie!! easy to pack.

when i travel, i am fortunate to be able to take the magic bullet as it is compact and plugs in just about anywhere, even the airport!! i was able to take it in my carry on with no issues. so i made lots of drinks when traveling and relied on the restaurants i researched BEFORE hand...so i knew what to order in advance.

my advice would be to stick with the drinks and restricted packs of chips, puffs.

kale chips worked perfectly for me. they kept amazingly crisp for 5 days!!!

maybe even try phase 2....while traveling....because you can always find a subway practically anywhere these days!! salad with some meat added. i would easily do half the protein amount in turkey and half in a drink. i didn't mind adding half a packet to the bottled water....OR subway salad with half portion of meat and then have a half portion of a restricted pack of chips!!!!

i wish you all the luck!!!!! pre -planning is the key for sure!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 08-26-2012 at 09:09 AM.
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #5  
Feed Your Freedom

forgot to say.....you probably have a good chance to order from nashua nutrition before you leave and they have a proti-diet honey nut soy cereal that is pretty darn good that is not restricted and is a great finger food!! it does not have the milk powder like the IP cereal, so is more of a snack. i have recently mixed half and half with the IP apple and cinnamon puffs....and it makes it a NON RESTRICTED snack. its delicious!!!!!
calories: 125
fat: 3.75
carbs: 10
fiber: 3
NET CARBS: 7
sugar: 3.5
protein: 15
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #6  

I'm gonna go buy a bullet today. Then I don't have to stress so much.

Still trying to figure out where we'll stay "downstate" (hopefully with family but only if there is room). Definitely staying with family Sat/Sun nite & my mom is on IP too so that will be easy. Its just Friday (the tailgating day & Football game day) & Saturday (the ashes scattering day) I'm most concerned about having planned.

I'm gonna make some buns. Love me some hot buns. Yup, I'm that kinda girl!

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #7  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

I'm gonna make some buns. Love me some hot buns. Yup, I'm that kinda girl!
and what nice hot buns you have dear!!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
and what nice hot buns you have dear!!
I'm working on those...but I sure like to look at some fine masculine buns
Old 08-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #9  

Bumping this thread based on a question in yesterday's daily

Also copying a post I put on an old thread:

(From Sept 2012) I've had 2 weekends "away" now. The most recent one included a tailgate at a college football game and beach time.

For both, I PLANNED. I took extra veggies, I pre-made omelets and potato puree "buns" (from one of rainbow's recipe threads). I took extra packets so I would have choices based on unanticipated activities.

Twice I had half my meat protein for lunch and half of it for dinner. But I stayed on-plan.

Losing the weight is my priority. There will always be special occasions for which to make excuses. I'm either in or I'm out. I'm in.

I took my own soft-side cooler to the tailgate with sparkling water, Mio, celery, pickles, cukes, an OP meat in case the tailgate didnt have one.

Last edited by lisa32989; 08-30-2013 at 06:45 AM.