3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

IP Daily Chat Monday 8/19/2013

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #46
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
I'd just like to say I think there is no such thing as a planned cheat...you are On Plan or Off Plan. The daily chat when I first joined 3FC was a highly energized thread where people were doing their best to stay on...had questions that were legit and shared frustrations in the way of comments from peers and their reactions and answers, and really shared a lot of personal victories in slaying the dragons that possess us all. New people saw clearly the range of experience in the posters and that for the most part that there was a lot of hard work to keep to the plan, but it was doable and there were rewards, big and small for doing it. Part of the reward was feeling like the poster was where they belonged and part of the group just trying to learn and hang on day by day.

While it's not anyone's place to beat someone else up for zigging when they should zag...it also is not our purpose to condone the way the recent thread has been so focused on why or how off plan occurrences happened. I think those occasions deserve their own thread with readers who can give what is being asked for. I'd like to see some thought given to what is needed by new people who are sincere and giving it their all from day one as was done for me. Paying it forward as Lisa said in another recent post. However, I think the experience is deserting this thread and new folks
1) will not get the right mix of posters answering questions, and
2) will have the idea cheating works on this diet OK.
Cheaters can get validation a lot of places in this world. I really hate seeing it be part of the daily chat.

Although, admittedly cheating does happen this is not a diet for cheaters....and any thought for newcomers that they can play this game, cheat and still win is setting IP up to make a lot of money and many un-warry IPers to have yet one more failure.

Like I said..you were warned this was not going to be well received by everyone. I wish all fellow IPers nothing but success. We are here for support in keeping to the plan and these are just my impressions over the last month. Many if not most IP sites provide inconsistent info...this was THE place. It doesn't feel like this is a reasonable or safe place for newbies unless the direction changes. Not safe at all. I am not sure what I'd have thought about this as a newbie. I'd probably be winging it on my own. I'm probably going to get kicked off this forum for saying this, but I had to. Why are you here? I got my support and if I am asked to leave, I know I can finish this on my own. I'd love to be able to pay it forward. I'm so happy with what previous posters have given me. Tools and patience, plus confidence and example the diet works by staying the course.
You took the words (yours were infinitely better) right out of my mouth! I actually didn't read yesterday's chat because I had an inkling of what it contained. THANK YOU!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #47

S/C/G: 204/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 View Post
Today's the big day for me! I sign up and weigh in at 5:00. Any suggestions on IP food I should be sure to grab on my first week? My coach does sell individual packets!! Today is my last day of the food I have been eating forever!!! Really worried about what I will do for breakfast tomorrow.....
Congratulations on taking the big step to changing your life! I am SO glad I did IP. I have always felt like my weight was out of my control, until I did IP! When I first started, my coach gave a large variety of packets so that I could try and see what I liked. My staples are the chocolate drink (mix), white cheddar ridges and caramel crunch bar. If you like spicy snacks (think hot cheetos) than I def recommend the southwest cheese puffs. The bag is huge! Good luck and keep checking in with us! We're all pals here and love to support eachother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkel244 View Post
Hi everyone! Today is my first day on IP! I had my weigh in on Saturday at 207lbs. I can't wait to see how this all turns out. I ate some crispy rice cereal this morning, def wasn't the best thing I have eaten but wasn't awful.
I find that most of the products don't taste as good on day 1 as they do on day 35... try it again in a few weeks, you may feel differently! Crispy cereal was my go-to breakfast for a few weeks before I changed jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrm View Post
Officially done one week and down 13.5 lbs. I have some big work/family events coming up, so I'm trying to get myself in the right mindset to tackle them without slipping.
Woohoo, congrats! When you feel like you can't make it through these events, just envision stepping on that scale! What will it be like one week from today? Now, what will it be like if you get off track? I have slipped and I hate that "what if" feeling!

Happy Monday everyone! Happy to see your tickers moving, and happy to see new people!! Ok that's a lot of happy's I better cool it. I have had a CRAZY amount of energy this week. I have been cleaning and gardening like a fool. Last night I stayed up till 1130 and this morning I popped out of bed like a daisy at 5:45.

Time to go home for lunch and make myself an IP omelette! Check on you guys later!

Last edited by coloradogirl : 08-19-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #48
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
I'd just like to say I think there is no such thing as a planned cheat...you are On Plan or Off Plan. The daily chat when I first joined 3FC was a highly energized thread where people were doing their best to stay on...had questions that were legit and shared frustrations in the way of comments from peers and their reactions and answers, and really shared a lot of personal victories in slaying the dragons that possess us all. New people saw clearly the range of experience in the posters and that for the most part that there was a lot of hard work to keep to the plan, but it was doable and there were rewards, big and small for doing it. Part of the reward was feeling like the poster was where they belonged and part of the group just trying to learn and hang on day by day.

While it's not anyone's place to beat someone else up for zigging when they should zag...it also is not our purpose to condone the way the recent thread has been so focused on why or how off plan occurrences happened. I think those occasions deserve their own thread with readers who can give what is being asked for. I'd like to see some thought given to what is needed by new people who are sincere and giving it their all from day one as was done for me. Paying it forward as Lisa said in another recent post. However, I think the experience is deserting this thread and new folks
1) will not get the right mix of posters answering questions, and
2) will have the idea cheating works on this diet OK.
Cheaters can get validation a lot of places in this world. I really hate seeing it be part of the daily chat.

Although, admittedly cheating does happen this is not a diet for cheaters....and any thought for newcomers that they can play this game, cheat and still win is setting IP up to make a lot of money and many un-warry IPers to have yet one more failure.

Like I said..you were warned this was not going to be well received by everyone. I wish all fellow IPers nothing but success. We are here for support in keeping to the plan and these are just my impressions over the last month. Many if not most IP sites provide inconsistent info...this was THE place. It doesn't feel like this is a reasonable or safe place for newbies unless the direction changes. Not safe at all. I am not sure what I'd have thought about this as a newbie. I'd probably be winging it on my own. I'm probably going to get kicked off this forum for saying this, but I had to. Why are you here? I got my support and if I am asked to leave, I know I can finish this on my own. I'd love to be able to pay it forward. I'm so happy with what previous posters have given me. Tools and patience, plus confidence and example the diet works by staying the course.
Thanks 65x65. Your words echo my thoughts, too.

IP is a really, really good programme that I have found really, really works for me when I am working it.

When I began to understand what ketosis is and how important it is to the success of the plan, I could intellectually understand why 'cheating' is so 'out.'

A cheat is not just in the moment. Not only can it do things psychologically to me, but physiologically, it also throws the ketosis that I work so hard to achieve right out the window.

If:

-it takes a few days to get into ketosis
-ketosis is such an A+ place to be

unless I were prepared to work with a commitment to that in mind, IP becomes a very expensive way to waste my money and my time. Cheating puts success that much further away from me.

The sneaking and the cheating doesn't fool anyone and it makes for a very expensive way to live one's life while on IP.

I want to plan for continued success and not for sneaky cheats!

My thoughts for what they are worth.
Thanks for sharing.

Annik

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 08-19-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #49

S/C/G: 204/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrrl View Post
So, I know I've mentioned cheating, and how difficult it is for me. And some others have mentioned they don't like the way things are turning on this thread. I definately consider myself a newbie. Both to this forum, and this diet. And it's HARD! Both of these things are hard. I certainly have no intention of bringing anyone down, but I also know that I come here to "confess my sins" and to ask for help and support. Not to tempt others, but to ask for help in avoiding temptation. I live with someone who seems pretty bent on sabotaging me and himself. It's friggin' hard!!! So, awesome! for those with really supportive friends and family. But please know, that some of us, don't have it that easy. And please know, that some of us, never PLAN on cheating, but rather, fall to temptation, struggle with it, and have IMMENSE guilt afterwads.

Maybe this isn't the right place for these types of conversations, but where is? Another thread? A lot of times, I see new threads get the response "Well, if you post this in the daily chat thread..." It's confusing, and frustrating to people who are here, just trying to find a place to fit in and get some help, sometimes, it's really really hard.
Different strokes for different folks. Anything you need, be it a kick in the butt, or sympathy, you'll find it here. But you'll also have to filter out what you don't want because you'll get it all!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #50

S/C/G: 301/290/180

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradogirl View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Anything you need, be it a kick in the butt, or sympathy, you'll find it here. But you'll also have to filter out what you don't want because you'll get it all!
Thanks!! I think I'm feeling particularly vulnerable and weepy today. And YES! Most of the time, and good kick in the pants is what I need, even if it's not at all what I WANT.

A failure to plan is a plan to fail.

Mini-goal 1: Down 25 by 9/26 (33rd b-day) - WooHOO!!! Met on 9/19/13!! YAY!!!
Mini-goal 2: Down 50 by 12/31
Mini-goal 3: Down 60 by 2/10

Probably lofty goals, but setting my sights HIGH!! I can do this!!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
Started IP 6/14/2013

S/C/G: 205/195/140

Height: 5'8"

cheating = no bueno. if you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. if you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #52

S/C/G: 149/147/125

Height: 5'0"

Hi everyone, just got home from my weigh in, pretty excited to be down to 130!!! My diet coach's attitude has really changed in a positive way, she now sees that Im on board, not cheating, and really focused so shes becoming really supportive!!! Im planning a good run today and then off to the gym for my favorite weight lifting class.

I explained my situation for this weekend....im running a 16mile race up and over a mountain pass. Theres tons of uphill climbing and its a long race, my coach says its fine just on Saturday to eat a banana and GU gel during the race. Hopefully it wont destroy my hard work!!! Well I mean I hope it wont take forever to get back into ketosis.... Usually I burn about 2,300 calories in this race according to my Garmin GPS watch. I hope I just burn off the carbs. Any thoughts?

Hope everyone has a great week!!!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #53

S/C/G: 261/241/136

Height: 5'8"

Default Checking in to be accountable

Hi, Everyone.

I am checking in. I lost a total of 70 pounds, most of which was on IP. I let myself enjoy off plan foods in February for my birthday, anniversary, and at a party. Since then, my losses have been slow and I've not been 100% On Plan. I have fallen back in to my old habit of "restarting tomorrow", then screwing it up and saying, "I'll restart tomorrow."

I wanted to post. I have been 100% OP today, but am battling the hungries and not feeling that more lettuce will satisfy. IP is the first program in my life that has resulted in a significant loss. And, while I've maintained since I have stopped being 100% On Plan , I am not where I want to be for my goal.

I am simultaneously working on my dissertation, which keeps getting put off and pushed back. So, I know there is some anxiety there. But, I really want to FINISH both and to do so confidently.

Thanks!
FFC

Things I'm Most Looking Forward To:
More E-N-E-R-G-Y
Buying stylish, not oversized clothes
Being a healthy role-model for my nephews, students, and godson
Horsebackriding without guilt
Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #54

Hello Day 1 on IP for the second time around. After finishing up my 1 month of ******** I decided to go back to IP as I feel so much better on this diet, I'm going to try the modified version for exercise with the extra package of food.
Goodluck everyone and chat with you all soon.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #55
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanovich View Post
Oooh thats a fantastic idea. I may do that the next time my family wants to go for ice cream. Did u use the pudding mix or the pre made cup?
I use the mix! I also add different flavor extracts to switch it up sometimes.. mint is yummy.. almost like one of those girl scout cookies!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #56
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 187/173.4/140

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Just popping in for a quick hello!! Had a not great OP weekend with my darling. He's come down with a dreaded summer cold, and convinced me (not that it was hard) that pizza on Saturday afternoon was a good idea. It was decidedly NOT. But here I am, back on track, trying to keep trucking along.

I'm so glad to have a place where I can confess my "sins" and know that I won't be judged, and will get some more motivation and lots of support.

@floridasunshine - Just so you know, the entire time I was eating that pizza, I thought about the chart you linked me before. <sigh> Carbs make us fat.
Not that anyone here is going to appreciate this comment but...next time just eat the topping from the pizza wrapped in lettuce leaves or even plain. When I stopped IP to train for a race, I was eating low carb, moderate protein and high fat. I did not lose any weight, nor did I gain. If you absolutely must have something off plan, try, try try to cut the carbs. It will make this lifestyle tolerable for the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanRN View Post
Hi everyone, just got home from my weigh in, pretty excited to be down to 130!!! My diet coach's attitude has really changed in a positive way, she now sees that Im on board, not cheating, and really focused so shes becoming really supportive!!! Im planning a good run today and then off to the gym for my favorite weight lifting class.

I explained my situation for this weekend....im running a 16mile race up and over a mountain pass. Theres tons of uphill climbing and its a long race, my coach says its fine just on Saturday to eat a banana and GU gel during the race. Hopefully it wont destroy my hard work!!! Well I mean I hope it wont take forever to get back into ketosis.... Usually I burn about 2,300 calories in this race according to my Garmin GPS watch. I hope I just burn off the carbs. Any thoughts?

Hope everyone has a great week!!!
I just completed Tough Mudder which wound up being 10.2 miles up and down a mountain...my advice is make sure to hydrate well in the days leading up to the race. Take a 1/2 tsp of salt with water an hour before the start. When your body is used to burning fat instead of carbs for fuel, you can go a long time without eating as long as you stay hydrated. If you have a chance, read The Art and Science Of Low Carb Performance. It explains the science behind all this better than I can.

That said, I did eat a banana and some of those gel things while out on the trails...mainly because I was hungry and that's all they had at the water stations. I think as long as you don't use it as a reason to over do the carbs, you can totally burn that off without any of it going to fat. And don't eat that stuff at the end...go right back to low carb afterwards...

FYI, next time I will be bringing jerky with me for long distances like that...protein and salt!

Good luck and have fun!

RESTART @ 181
WK1 -3LBS WK2 -3LBS
Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #57

S/C/G: 142/127/110

Height: 5'0

Quote:
My pleasure...been waiting for someone short enough to vent with!! It is what it is...but it's not fair!!!
Hi Ladies!

I am short too!! and usually just a "reader" and yes I need to vent also! I have been loosing 2 pounds per week, and I know I need to be happy, 2 pounds is a lot, especially when all I did before was gain pounds, but reading other posts about loosing 5-6-7+ pounds per week is/can be upsetting sometimes!

I have lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks and some people loose that in their first 3 weeks, it just takes us a lot longer to loose! Anyway, good luck! we can do this!
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #58
Started IP 07/29/2013

S/C/G: 206.8/186/125

As to the 'cheating' conversation we are having..

I am not perfect. I have a bad cheat a couple of saturdays ago.. ate a whole pizza, and it was good. I didn't beat myself up and I jumped right back on the wagon. I have tried to be 100% since. I may have a few extra veggies here or there (I don't use a measuring cup), or an extra egg if I am super hungry in the afternoon (maybe 1 or 2 times a week)...

What I have tried to do is this.. I have figured out what I 'think' I am missing/craving and try to find a recipe with the IP food to satisfy that craving... if its ice cream, I freeze an IP pudding and now I have something cold and chocolatey... if its bread, I used the IP potato puree and make 'bread'. I am much happier knowing that I have not cheated and still don't feel I am missing out on something.

If there is a will there is a way... its up to you to provide the WILL and IP has given us a way..sometimes you just need to tweek it to make it work for you, and many times you can do that without cheating.

In the future will I have a cheat.. I don't know, but I hope not... I try to remember why I am doing this...

Last edited by FrostyBobber : 08-19-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellimomo3 View Post
Today's the big day for me! I sign up and weigh in at 5:00. Any suggestions on IP food I should be sure to grab on my first week? My coach does sell individual packets!! Today is my last day of the food I have been eating forever!!! Really worried about what I will do for breakfast tomorrow.....
I would say the try out some of the soups for sure, esp cuz you can add veggie purree to it, and soup is scientifically proven to keep you feeling fuller longer (and IP soup would make you feel fuller EVEN longer given the protein content)...I also love the drink mixes, but add EXTRA water to them and ice....helps to increase your water intake and makes them less sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caressme View Post
First official WI was this am! I am happy to report I am down 10.3 lbs! I'm soo excited and am glad i didnt give up and even MORE glad for this website!.....
GRATS thats a great first WI! keep it up.!

Quote:
On WW I actually gained weight being 100% compliant...several tries. Same result. They told me I was cheating...No one who knows me would ever have said that to me...and they made a personal enemy of me for life. I have nothing good to say about them because of the humiliation they put me through. I need a low glycemic diet. It matters where my calories come from.
WW only ever worked for me once..and it was the OLD program that didnt' allow unlimited veggies and fruits. Once the program was changed, even with 100% commitment, it never worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmomma78 View Post
Okay ladies, I would love to say that I am a clean eater but let's face it, I am not. I could always do better! I try to eat as clean as possible. I am worried about all of the ingredients in the processed foods (IP or alternatives) Is anyone else worried about this? I know that the foods are just for a short time but I still worry. Any comments would be great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Yup. I worried about the same thing. But you know what? I didn't get to 260 eating clean all of the time. When I finally "gave in" and decided to try IP, I viewed the highly processed nature of the foods as temporary. In addition, I was concerned about soy. From a paleo prospective, soy is nnot good for humans......

So, yes, short story long , I did worry about the processed nature of the IP or alt food but being close to normal BMI has made it all worthwhile. I've gone from a BMI of 42.6 (morbidly obese) to a BMI of 27.6 (overweight). I have 2.3 more index points to go to a normal BMI. I have gone from size 24W to a normal size 12.

When I get to goal, I will follow a primarily paleo/primal lifestyle. IP is preparing me for that by forcing me to cook at home more and use more "real" foods, rather than prepared. We don't get carry-out anymore at all. We don't eat fast food unless in an emergency situation. Yesterday we smoked some meat and I cooked up some rhubarb. Tonite I'll be cooking some veggie stir fry. I always make extras for re-heating!

IP has been worth it to me!

CLEAN EATING has always been something i have prided myself on...i never used fake sugar for anything before this....I read all labels to and avoided foods with more than a few ingredients...BUT really in the end...as Lisa said i would not be here if i was a 100% clean eater...so somewhere i was failing in my before IP diet. AND yes, there are some strange things listed in these IP foods, but again, this is just temporary, till i can get down to a healthy weight. The pros and health benefits of eating the processed stuff in IP foods FAR outweigh staying obese.

Quote:
So, I know I've mentioned cheating, and how difficult it is for me. And some others have mentioned they don't like the way things are turning on this thread. I definately consider myself a newbie. Both to this forum, and this diet. And it's HARD! Both of these things are hard. I certainly have no intention of bringing anyone down, but I also know that I come here to "confess my sins" and to ask for help and support. Not to tempt others, but to ask for help in avoiding temptation. I live with someone who seems pretty bent on sabotaging me and himself. It's friggin' hard!!! So, awesome! for those with really supportive friends and family. But please know, that some of us, don't have it that easy. And please know, that some of us, never PLAN on cheating, but rather, fall to temptation, struggle with it, and have IMMENSE guilt afterwads......
I'm sorry you lack support in your personal life...I surely can help here and provide you with support and insight on staying OP...i can't speak for others ...I guess a big frustration with reading about people cheating, for me anyhow, is the amount of detail people go into about their "Cheat" how it tasted blah blah....its like food porn for me....staying 100% is the only way i can mentally manage this.

Maybe in future if ppl needed help or guidance they could talk more to the emotional reasons of why they cheated, rather than how good something looked or smelled or tasted? lol i dunno.

anyhow i hope everyone's Monday has been great otherwise. And really hope no one feels chases outta the daily thread given today's discussion
Old 08-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #60

S/C/G: 229.2/ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Good day all!!

Just wanted to confirm some things on here, since you guys give better advice than the coach(es) I have :P (there was a new person at my last weigh-in, hello coach #5) I can honestly say, I don't know any of my coaches names...

I'm driving back to Ontario with my family. This includes two parents and LO who is 4 and the trip will roughly be 3-4 days. We'll be bringing sandwiches for LO to eat since my parents generally eat breakfast, snack and then wherever we will stop for the night. Now... where we stop for the night all depends on location and whether anything will be around for food - food wise. I talked to my coach (the coach available) and asked what happens if no protein is available for the day and she suggested eating 2 packets of non-restricted to equal my 8oz. So basically, I'm looking at possibly eating 5 packets only for 3-4 days (1 packet breakfast, 1 lunch, 1 snack and 2 supper). I'm a little worried to say the least lol, I'm hoping there will be a subway around but doing all those packets for a few days, no biggy, but I just don't want to mess up somehow.

One for every 5lbs

Mini Goal #1 - 199lbs (Onderland) -
Mini Goal #2 - 170lbs -
Mini Goal #3 - 140lbs (All the way) -

Last edited by KryssyBee : 08-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.