Still not in Ketosis

• Hi all! I am in day 3 of IP (no cheating) and I am still not in Ketosis. I bought test strips today because I wasn't feeling any different AT ALL. How long will this take?
  • It's different for everyone, some are quick and some are slow to enter keto. Also you should know that those test strips aren't always correct. Be patient, shouldn't take much longer! Maybe tomorrow
  • Are you dipping the strips or peeing on them? Sometimes if you have a strong stream you can pee off some of the chemical that checks for ketones.
  • It took me a week to get into ketosis, and I still don't think I was fully in... some go in right away, some of us take longer.. I would also look under the thread about ketosis and look at the symptoms.. you might not expierence all the symptoms, everyones body reacts a little different.

You'll get there!
  • Suspect also the "speed" of your own metabolic makeup and diet prior to the start of the program could impact how quickly this happens. And importantly others have reminded...the sticks are not the be-all-end-all of ketosis. If you are on this for a week and you follow IP plan to a"T"..you are more than likely IN ketosis regardless of the dipstick.

An aside: Check expiration date on your pkg...and make sure you always screw the lid on real tight.
    Don't store pkg esp once it's opened in the bathroom...(!really important!)

Many of these color reading lab tests are heat, light and moisture sensitive. We used to say in the lab "test results are only as good as your specimen...or your reagents!" Since there is not a "control run" each time you use a stick..its not a "for sure" the sticks are still any good since last opened or packed at the factory.
  • Be patient. It sometimes can take awhile.

For me personally, I think the fact that I respect ketosis so much helps me stay on programme. Once you are in ketosis, Ideal Protein really works. Cheating along way can take you out of ketosis. A cheat is not just confined to 'one day.' Because it can take you out of ketosis, cheats are really 'expensive' in terms of energy, time, and money, too.

I was talking to a friend last night. She said that she would find IP too restrictive. I suppose that is one way to look at it. Instead, I look at it as a challenge that I want to meet. I know there is going to be good payout if I work for it.

By the way, the pee sticks aren't that great at indicating where you are at. I have been using the blood testing method. Many people in the forums here will point out, it is not necessary to do this. That's true. But I am a curious person and wanted to see the data for myself.

Too much protein just like too many carbs can take me out of ketosis so for me it is very important to measure my food and respect the guidelines.

I have found more information about measuring blood serum levels of ketones on the Jimmy Moore Low Carb website. Am thinking about doing his cruise next May.

Good luck and be patient. Drinking lots of water helps along the way. I think of it as peeing away fat!
  • As many have said it can take varying lengths of time for ppl to get themselves into ketosis. For me, personally, it took almost 2 weeks for it really happen.

As far as using urine testing strips...it should work well to show that you're in it, once you get there. But as 65 pointed out depends on your sticks...and really how well you are using them. Are you using them first thing in the am, or later in the day after you've been drinking your water etc?
  • Quote:
    I was talking to a friend last night. She said that she would find IP too restrictive. I suppose that is one way to look at it. Instead, I look at it as a challenge that I want to meet. I know there is going to be good payout if I work for it.

My sister said that to me back in May..(although she couldn't stop telling me I looked fantastic in the same sentence) ...I did not want to be mean...but finally told her " this diet isn't restrictive..really. But being overweight is."
    She needs to lose 100 lbs ..or more.
  • I have been on the IP for 4 weeks - been 100% faithful to the program and have yet to show any symptoms of Ketosis... None whatsoever ! But I know that I am since I'm losing weight. I do not rely on little sticks that may provide false results and they are so "sensitive"....

Don't worry - as long as you eat your 4 cups of veggies and drink a lot of water... you will be fine !

Good luck to you

One for every 5 ib loss
  • Quote: this diet isn't restrictive..really. But being overweight is..
    That is SO true!