Old 07-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/291/160

Height: 5'8

Default AHH! Getting on a plane, am i still too fat to fly???

The last time I got on a jet was 5 years ago and it was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life. I had already been worried that I would not be able to fit into those darn airplane seats but my ever so optimistic family told me to "stop worrying!" and that I was being ridiculous. So they mentally boost me up to take the trip and...........IT WAS TERRIBLE! I squeezed my big derriere into that death trap and was barely able to do it! I was so uncomfortable that I was certain they would boot me off the plane! Passengers would look at me either is pity or disgust and it was like that for 5 torturous hours! I told my self over and over that I would never get on a plane again and yet here I am about to risk it all again. Yes, I am 30lbs lighter but is that enough to sit somewhat comfortably?! I am just SOOO afraid of experiencing that again! it really damaged me mentally and I am so worried that I am about to experience that again.
Dont callme elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #2  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I experienced this problem. European planes were worse. At 287, 5'7", I could fit but needed a belt extender. First class seats are roomier but I could not afford them.

Happy to say that a couple of months wit Ideal Protein and this is not a problem.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/291/160

Thanks for sharing your experience! I found it truly horrific. I also never travel so i had no idea what to expect with the whole process. Congrats on your success! I can not wait to say the same thing in a few months
Dont callme elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #4  
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

It is truly horrific! I agonized about the people sitting next to me.

I always ask for an aisle seat. If there is no one next to me, I can lift the arm of the seat which makes it not quite so bad.

Keep going! We'll get there!

Congrats on your success, too!

Last edited by Annik; 07-14-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Comfortable, they aren't comfortable ever. I always used to choose the accessible aisle seat, that means you can lift the outer armrest during the flight which makes things a little more comfortable. If I could fit at 350, you can fit at 300. I fly all the time, I live in Alaska so the flights are long. I always would be paranoid that they would say I had to buy an extra seat. It never happened. I also bought a seat belt extender on amazon so I didn't have to ask for one. Now that I have lost almost 100 pounds on ip, and I don't fear flying anymore. Good luck!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Check out seatguru.com for seat dimensions too, they r not universal.
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #7  

Height: 6'

Could you consider purchasing an Economy Plus seat. It gives extra leg room which may help a little? I'm traveling to Europe next month and was obsessed with making sure that I got EP seats on both legs. I'm 6' and 251. It cost an extra $100 per trip. I'm hoping my 37 pound loss will lend itself to a bit more comfort because I'm usually miserable flying especially on long trips.
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #8  

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagirl92128 View Post
Check out seatguru.com for seat dimensions too, they r not universal.
Love seat guru. I realized that I can't sit in the first two rows of economy plus or near an exit because the seats don't recline and are slightly narrower. They also have a thicker non movable arm which makes the seat tighter.
tallgirl231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #9  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Keep working in your goal weigh, you'll get there... I haven't had your experience but I had a different experience, an overweight woman sat next to me, on this two seat rows, she was 400+ lbs... Her left site of her body was sitting on top of my right side, I felt bad to tell her something, I didn't want to embarrass her, she already was being embarrassed by people that were looking at her with disgust, I couldn't believe it! Some people were looking at me like "say something!" I just kept telling my self it's a 4 hr fly, it'll pass by quickly, but it was the longest fly. When it was time to leave the plane my right side of my body was numbed! I had to stretch for quite some time to get up of the plane. Then out of the plane, in the counte I was approached by a crew member and told me how sorry she was, and she wishes airlines could charge because of the weight of the person... I was confuse by her approach, didn't say something and just walked away.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

It definitely varies from plane to plane. I've fit in the seat one way of the trip and felt like I'm exploding out of it the other way. I usually fly Southwest. I like the open seating, because I can kind of scout for a seat next to someone tiny (or the holy grail: next to an open seat)! Last time I flew Delta, which has assigned seats, I ended up in a row to two other large individuals. We were REALLY crammed into that row, and it was pretty uncomfortable for everyone.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #11  

I feel for everyone in this thread.....flying, taking a train, or subway...anytime you hafta think "will my butt fit into that seat" is a terrible pain (not only physically). I've actually started avoiding flying b/c its just too horrible a situation to bare, not worth the psychically and/or emotional pain.

Hopefully, as i continue on this protocol...my outlook on flying will change.

@Dont callme elephant i feel your pain....you've lost weight since the last time you fly, you will notice a difference
Art3mis is offline   Reply With Quote