Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #16  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I needed to purge. I had a tough week. On Tuesday, one of my closest friends passed away suddenly. She had battled lupus, then kidney failure, two kidney transplants and was on dialysis. She was not healthy, but her death was sudden and unexpected. She had a complication with her fistula for dialysis and one of her veins burst with no warning. She was 43.

I've always been an emotional eater. And while this has been a very trying week for me, not once did I turn to food (or even think about it.) I just realized what a significant shift that is for me.

Part of my weight loss goal was in anticipation of a trip we had planned for September. She was proud of me for the weight I've lost so far (we just video skyped last weekend). And that's motivation for me to keep going.
Hangdog, so very sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself the way your friend would have wanted you too.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #17  

Height: 5'5"

Weigh in number 5 down another 2.4! Love this diet but the COST! Holy cow, lol! I am thinking about doing alternatives...thinking about it again. I am nervous to go out on my own. For those of you doing it without a clinic, do you measure yourself each week?
Good luck to everyone over the weekend.

Hangdog, sorry for your friend.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #18  

Hangdog
Our friends are our family of choice. In some ways a loss like this can be MORE painful. Be sure to take care of you! You know she's watching and wishes only health and happiness for you.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #19  

@hangdog....
so sorry to hear your story. I hope youre able to find comfort and peace soon...

I hope everyone has a good weekend...stay strong and op op peeps.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #20  

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthayer View Post
Weigh in number 5 down another 2.4! Love this diet but the COST! Holy cow, lol! I am thinking about doing alternatives...thinking about it again. I am nervous to go out on my own. For those of you doing it without a clinic, do you measure yourself each week?

Hangdog, sorry for your friend.
I've done alternatives from the very beginning with the amazing help of 3FC. I don't measure but do weigh myself once a week. Well, I weigh everyday but count the official weigh in only. I mostly use Premier Protein chic shakes for breakfast and Proti-diet and quest bars for all other packets. Dietdirect.com has a great selection and you get credits on each order to use for future orders. I liked this site because you get free shipping on 49.99 and over orders so if I don't want to spend $100 for other sites, I can place a small order and still save on shipping. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #21  

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Hangdog
Our friends are our family of choice. In some ways a loss like this can be MORE painful. Be sure to take care of you! You know she's watching and wishes only health and happiness for you.
So true about family of choice. I also count my dog and 2 cats in that category, especially since I don't have children.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 196- starting weight

Height: 5' 7"

Handog, I am so very sorry for your loss.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 196- starting weight

Height: 5' 7"

Handog, I am so very sorry for your loss. And what an awesome tribute to your friend. God speed.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #24  
Workin' It

S/C/G: 205/186(IP)/159/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthayer View Post
I've been using alternatives since the start of my IP journey. Only measure my waist. Its my biggest concern due to the link between waist size and diabetes & heart disease. I do weigh daily, but only count my official weight on Mondays. I rely upon premier protein shakes, quest bars and order packets from Nashua Nutrition (protidiet, protithin & weightloss system). You need to check nutritional info on all products because some do have higher carbs & fat. I'm a vegetarian so lots of tofu, eggs and I added back fish to get my protein levels up. Good luck in whatever you decide. This site has the answers & great support.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #25  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I needed to purge. I had a tough week. On Tuesday, one of my closest friends passed away suddenly. She had battled lupus, then kidney failure, two kidney transplants and was on dialysis. She was not healthy, but her death was sudden and unexpected. She had a complication with her fistula for dialysis and one of her veins burst with no warning. She was 43.

I've always been an emotional eater. And while this has been a very trying week for me, not once did I turn to food (or even think about it.) I just realized what a significant shift that is for me.

Part of my weight loss goal was in anticipation of a trip we had planned for September. She was proud of me for the weight I've lost so far (we just video skyped last weekend). And that's motivation for me to keep going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Hangdog...My deepest sympathy. There is not much to say...and only those who have ever experienced true friendship will grasp the depth of your sorrow and grief. I lost my dearest friend of 34 years 5 summers ago...also unexpectedly. She sounds like my Anna...I've wondered if she knows I'm finally achieving what I was unable to do when she was cheering me on...wish I knew for sure she knows. Friends often get lost in the grieving process...and I have come to recognize that is because true friendship is indeed a very rare thing. There is not much written...not really any support groups and unless you know someone who has experienced this kind of loss to share it with, the grief just leaks out of you with no place to go. Only one person I know seemed to understand because she actually had lost her best friend a few years before me. She said the grief would "always be just below the surface and with time you learn to control it." I'm still not there...so please be good to yourself. and let me know if I can help. PM me if you need to...
Hangdog, so sorry to hear of your loss... and you too, 65x65. I've lost two extremely close friends -- my sister calls them "heart friends" -- both suddenly & at young ages (33 and 43) and I know how painful it is. You have my deepest sympathy.

I'm so glad you got to Skype last weekend, that is a recent memory you can treasure. Hold onto the knowledge that she loved you, was proud of you, and was rooting for you-- death can't take that away from you.

Take care, and be gentle with yourself. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/125

Height: 5'5"

Default Newbie

Hi! I am new to IP but my husban does it and has done well. Over the last 4-5 years I have lost over 60 lbs and am now down to the last 20. I am extremely active ( runner, triathlete) but have to have rotator cuff surgery in a few weeks. I hope to use IP over the next 6+ weeks to prep for my surgery and during recovery since I cannot be as active as I normally would be during that time. I do have a soy allergy, so I am a bit anxious to see how it will pan out. Officially starting Monday but had Chicken Pottage for lunch and a bar for a snack today. Lean protein and veggies is always my dinner so no big change there. I also seem to be I tolerant of Splenda but planning on tolerating it for 6 weeks. Hoping to at least jump start the last 20 lbs. Whenever I google IP I get this website so it seems like a good idea to join.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Cholesterol/Blood Sugar on IP

Wonder if any of you who have high cholesterol have come off your meds with success on IP?

I take Lipitor (started about 3 years ago) and my number since then has always been between 105 and 120. (before I was around 220).

Two months into IP I decided to stop taking Lipitor as I have read a great deal about how statins can elevate blood sugars. I am Type II Diabetic and am looking to IP to make great strides in that area. After a few month on IP and 20 lbs dropped I still didn’t see my sugars down where I thought they would be which is why I decided to take out the Lipitor. Since then, my blood sugars before meals are regularly in the low 90s which I am happy with.

My thought in stopping the med was that on IP, I am not eating any dairy and only lean meats, so there shouldn’t be much of an issue with cholesterol from what I am eating. I eat lean beef about 2x week and otherwise stick to chicken and pork and salmon maybe every 10 days.

My bloodwork with the medication and after 1 month on IP was 115 (where it always is), but after 4 months on IP (and 2+ months w/o medication) my cholesterol came in at 198! I was QUITE surprised! I will go back on the meds and watch my sugars. Hopefully now that I am down 30+, they will remain in the lower range regardless of the med.

I suppose I could be one of those people who naturally have high cholesterol, not just from what I eat, but as part of my genetics (family members also had high cholesterol).

Any thoughts or stories to share??
Old 07-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #28  
On plan since June 23/13

S/C/G: 197/153/150

Height: 5'3"

I have some WF Alfredo sauce that I would like to use for dinner tonight? Any suggestions on how to jazz it up?
Old 07-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxy View Post
I have some WF Alfredo sauce that I would like to use for dinner tonight? Any suggestions on how to jazz it up?
add fresh garlic?
or some spicyness to it?

and then use it over roasted veggies?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #30  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balanced Life View Post
Hi! I am new to IP but my husban does it and has done well. Over the last 4-5 years I have lost over 60 lbs and am now down to the last 20. I am extremely active ( runner, triathlete) but have to have rotator cuff surgery in a few weeks. I hope to use IP over the next 6+ weeks to prep for my surgery and during recovery since I cannot be as active as I normally would be during that time. I do have a soy allergy, so I am a bit anxious to see how it will pan out. Officially starting Monday but had Chicken Pottage for lunch and a bar for a snack today. Lean protein and veggies is always my dinner so no big change there. I also seem to be I tolerant of Splenda but planning on tolerating it for 6 weeks. Hoping to at least jump start the last 20 lbs. Whenever I google IP I get this website so it seems like a good idea to join.
First of all -- Welcome! This is a great forum, lots of support, experience and info here.

Forgive me for asking -- is it a good idea to be on IP right before/during/right after surgery? I am NOT a medical person, nor am I that experienced with IP (just started end of May) -- but I *have* had surgeries. IP is a VERY restricted calorie diet, and others please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's also a little stressful on the body? Totally worth it for those of us who need to lose weight, but maybe you don't want to add the stress of the diet when your body will be going through the trauma of surgery (and ALL surgeries, no matter how minor, are traumatic to the body). You want to give your body its best chance to heal.

I am hoping others will reply who know a whole lot more than I do. I wish you all the best, Balanced Life!

Edited to add: Do you have a coach? What does your coach say?

Last edited by bluegirl9; 07-13-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Closed Thread