Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #106  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Hi everybody. Just wanted to report in that I'm still feeling strong and forging ahead with my reboot. This is Day 4. Yesterday was a bit higher in fat than it should have been ideally - only noticed when doublechecked all my food entries at FatSecret.com at the end of the day. But it was an acceptable day.

I'm Preparing my home version of mushroom protein soup for lunch, and I've altered the amount of the veg & protein powder so that I can also have a small salad with some turkey slices on it. I think having both the hot soup and a salad will make me feel fuller... the nutritional values come out fine, so we'll see how I feel between lunch to dinner today.

I'm enjoying being at ease on this long weekend holiday Monday. Hope all of you are having a good day.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #107  
Getting there!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/158

Height: 5'6

evepet: I saw your fitbit posting and am curious which you will get. I am interested in it but hesitant to spend the money but I really want to know how many calories I burn. I have a body bugg which I did like but it has a monthly fee to use their system and get readings. It is also quite large on the arm.

Anyone else have thoughts on these gadgets?
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #108  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingit50 View Post
evepet: I saw your fitbit posting and am curious which you will get. I am interested in it but hesitant to spend the money but I really want to know how many calories I burn. I have a body bugg which I did like but it has a monthly fee to use their system and get readings. It is also quite large on the arm.

Anyone else have thoughts on these gadgets?
I'm still interested, but got side-tracked and haven't yet made a decision re which one. Like you I'm hesitant to spend the money on the more expensive versions, so I may stick with the lower priced one. While the wristband one (Flex) is *cool*, I don't think the sleep info would be that useful for me... in fact it probably would just frustrate me. LOL. I'm interested in knowing how many steps I normally take per day, and what I'd have to do activity-wise to get up to 10,000 steps per day. As you said, knowing actual daily calories burned would be good too.

Last edited by evepet; 08-06-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #109  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Workingit50: I don't have any info for you. I hope you find a cheaper gadget that helps.

Everpet: Good luck on that reboot. I was an IP mushroom soup fan and your soup sounds filling and healthy.I have a friend that maintains by eating soup for dinner.

Patns: I officially start school on the 27th but have pre-school trainings on bullying, teacher evaluation portfolios, and teaching english as a second language.

Met: that is a cute grand niece! Do you still like cross fit?

More terms from Refuse to Regain that I find interesting.

Mount Everest verses Mount Maintenance: only 20 percent of the people who climb Mt.Everest make it to the top. The key is preparation. Less than 5 percent of people succeed in their climb up Mount Maintenance.
Obstacles:
1. Food avalanche: We live in a food flood with an entire culture devoted to encouraging you to eat. Expect to be buried and make sure you have the tools to dig out. ( Advertising by the food industry, food availability 24 hours a day, seductive foods made by food labs, the cost of healthy foods over junk foods, a culture where mindless eating and being obese is prevalent and accepted are forces in this flood.)

2. Habit crevasse: You have eaten in a certain way for a lifetime. It is easy to fall into a rut, you can't get out of. Relearning is needed to break such habits such as comfort eating and thrill eating.

3. An icy metabolism: You have just lost weight, but the fat cells that contained that weight are still part of your body. Biochemical signals that accompany weight loss may prompt you to overeat and will need to be overcome. In addition your genetic tendency to gain weight still remains. Although you may look slim you are a POW..previously overweight person. You do not have the physiology of a NOW..a never overweight person.

4.Climber's Fatigue: Losing weight was an exciting, attention getting makeover. Permanence requires a relentless, daily attention to detail that no one but you may notice. This phase will only work if you learn to deeply love the new you and the very process that allows you to stay as you are. Not only can you do this, but it will also be highly rewarding.

5. Bad trail markers: There is a lot that can lead you in the wrong direction in commonly accepted nutritional wisdom. Many of the foods we consider staples are easily eliminated without harmful effect and are key for POWs..ie sugar and starches.

6. Inadequate conditioning: climbing any mountain whether real or figurative, requires physical strength. As the years pass it is almost impossible to achieve permanence unless you establish an athletic identity.

7.Dangerous Footing: travel, stress, occasions both happy and sad all provide opportunities for slippage.

8. Sabatogue: The very friends and family who love you may have trouble with your healthy habits and may try to overturn your efforts at permanence. It's not personal..It just is.

Number 4 is my favorite.

Other terms:

Diet of conviction: choose your eating plan and develop a strong belief that it is a good one for you. Diet in this sense is not connected to weight loss, it means a eating plan.

Food assault: unwanted intrusions of food in a maintainer's life.

Food creep: the tendency for more food, particularly sugar and starches to creep back into your life.

Gong food: an intensely flavored sugar or starch food that simulates a ringing
bell when consumed.

Thrill eating: the sport of eating just for fun.

Revenge clothes: form fitting clothes that look great on you now that you are thinner.

Second Hand Food: Like second hand smoke. The presence of unwanted food in a confined area.

Maintenance Junior: Derived from just reduced, a person who is just beginning the process of maintaining weight.

SLIM: someone who is at the senior level of maintenance...a person who is maintaining their weight skillfully.

Weight Mentor: a senior maintainer who has reached the highest level of skill and commitment.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #110  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maile View Post
Met: that is a cute grand niece! Do you still like cross fit?
I am enjoying CrossFit. I go 4 days a week, Mon, Tue, Wed, and Fri. I go to the earliest class, 6am, so I have a full day in front of me. I have never been one to enjoy exercise, one of the reasons I needed IP, but this has been a lot of fun and I've met some great people. I never played sports in school but I would imagine the group feeling is likely the same.

I'm about a month into maintenance and have fluctuated between 165 and 169 the last few weeks. I go back to see my coach on the 16th and I'm hoping the fat/lean mass numbers have changed in a positive manner. I don't mind being back up around 170 as long as the increase is in muscle mass and not fat.

DW and I find we're still eating pretty much like we did in P3 only throwing in some things we didn't have that often before and at least 1 fruit a day. We're also eating more vegetables. We have definitely changed our eating habits though. It's second nature now when eating out to ask for specific changes in the way things are cooked or to leave things out that aren't that good for us. We're pretty much in line with Paleo other than having oatmeal a couple of times per week. No matter what it's called we're comfortable eating this way and think we'll still be good 6 months from now.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #111  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Wow, Maile, this is great! I think I'll need to get this book. I see it's available on Amazon. My order will be in as soon I get a minute.

Thank you so much for posting this very valuable information. I see myself in every line!

I've been visiting my sister in Florida this week. Before I came she told me that I would be able to stay on my eating plan completely. She's really supportive, and our two nights of cooking were meals that would be great, even for P1! But she is a NOW and I am a POW. We noticed how she gets up has coffee, and maybe at 11 or 12 she has one piece of toast. Her eating patterns are so different from mine, including ice cream at night or a snack of cheese and olives at night. But we're fine with that.

But I'm discovering that it's always a challenge, especially when traveling, to eat exactly as I would at home. However, I always use my 9 months on P1 as an example to myself.

I teach on the college level. We have our inservice week on the 19th and classes begin on the 26th. I taught an online class in July, so I feel like these are my two weeks of vacation. Patns, we get out the second week of May, but I teach in the summer a bit.

M35, I have not yet had any ice cream. I guess that makes two summers without it. Ice cream and pizza (and Indian food) have always been my favorites. But they are all so fleeting. I've had Indian food on maintenance, though.

Darbs7: Wow! Three years on maintenance! That's wonderful! I'm confident that you can get those 20 off fairly quickly with a bit of P1 and P2, depending on the speed of weight loss you want.

One more day in FL and then back home tomorrow. Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

maile I am SO glad you are my IP friend, you are an inspiration and a really good sharer! (great English eh?) My mom, sister, auntie and grandma were all teachers, sometimes I do that to bug them and as I typed it I thought I'd leave it instead of fixing it (I will leave all of it for all teachers on this board lol). I will either buy that book or download it. I also found a 'low sugar' magazine and bought National Geographic's magazine within the last two weeks (NG's front cover was along the lines of Sugar and why we love it. I can't remember the exact title).

darbs7 Congrats on your milestone!

Lizz Thinking of you girlie, hope all is well!

joysh I agree, travelling is very hard and hard to keep focused, it's good to be around someone who understands and helps you. My sisters are the same.

workingit50 My mom loves her fitbit. I just use a heart rate monitor when I go for my run but I use it more to keep track of how fast my heart is going and using that knowledge to adjust my stride.

evepet Sometimes my Phase 1 days aren't '100%', I enjoy putting a sprinkle parmesan on my Phase 1 salad for supper. My last Phase 1 had Mahi Mahi with soy sauce, dijon mustard and WF pancake syrup. It was very good.

++++++
I completed a lot of organization tasks this weekend. Granted the storage room took me 4 hours instead of 1.5 because I was watching TV in the middle of it. Missing the VIP though so I'm not sleeping and finding myself sleeping sidewise in the bed. He thinks it's funny and cute but I don't. I'm a little cranky as a result of no sleep. LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Ishbel; 08-06-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #113  
Maile

Ishbel: I liked that NG article on sugar also. It was fascinating to learn the history as well as the consumption information. My grandma, great aunt, mother, sister were all in the teaching profession. My two sons are teachers.
family traits? I am glad you are making headway on storage..That mahi mahi recipe sounds like a good modified teriyaki. You are a great warm IP friend and I am glad you are here

Lizzyrr: Hope you are doing well!

Joysh: enjoy your last weeks before classes start again. It is nice when your sister supports you. I have a good friend who is NOW and has never gained weight. I have to laugh each time I call myself a POW as I flip into prisoner of war..is is the maintenance battle?

M35A: I also find that doing exercise early in the morning is a good way to get it in. It sounds like you have a great group at Cross Fit. Good luck on your weigh in. I upped my goal weight due to muscle gain. You really do get used to eating more vegetables and ordering in ways to stay healthy.

My daughter is visiting and it is fun to have a walking partner!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #114  
Started IP 3/26/12

Good morning! Like several of you have mentioned, I'm also organizing my day so that I get some exercise in first thing. Did a 2 mile walk this am in 30 minutes. It was one of Leslie Sansome's 'walking' DVDs that has you constantly using arms & legs - so I think it's a decent workout. I'll do the longer versions on the weekend... or if I manage to organize my evenings to fit it in a couple of times/week.

Still going strong with my Reboot, so I'm feeling proud of myself.

Nothing much else to report from my end - hope everyone has a good day.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #115  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Hello everyone,
It is wonderful to see how well you have been doing, and it's so inspirational.
Maile - Thank you for the "Refuse to Regain" information. I just ordered the book. You always have such fabulous, helpful and timely information. Thank you for being the kind soul that you are, to share so much and help so many.

Ishbel - You are now a married lady! I will have to go back in posts to read up on it. What was the date? Congratulations!

Darbs - Wow, three years on maintenance!! You and Maile are great role models! You prove it can be done.

Evepet - Hello! I'm glad to see you here. Have you read any more interesting books? I'm sure you have, you were always the best at research.

My weight has just crept up all summer and I just haven't had the motivation to get back on IP. Have been tired and just eating everything. Today I joined TOPS, a weight loss/weight maintenance organization I learned about on these boards from Ishbel (I think). Have been to 2 of their meetings - really fun, informative, supportive. I will update my ticker next week, it's too painful to do it now. But I did weigh in at TOPS and knowing that whether I gain or lose is reported at the meetings out loud, is additional motivation that will really help me. Today is my first day back on Phase 1.

Have a lovely evening,
Chloe
Old 08-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #116  
Reboot Jan 2018

Height: 5'7"

Hey everyone! Just checking in to say hi. This summer has been incredibly busy and its just flying by. I'm happy to report that I'm still going strong in maintenance and I've started running again. I'm signing up for a 5k Run For Your Life thing in September......zombies chasing me over obstacles etc is a good motivation to get back on track with my running. Hope all is well with you all.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #117  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Happy Thursday! Just wanted to let you'all know that my mini-reboot has been successful. It was about two weeks of Phase 1/Phase 2 and one week of Phase 3. I'm back in the middle of my happy range of 141-144 lbs.
It's just in time too as I'm heading off to Vegas for a long weekend.

evepet - sounds like your reboot is going well. Hang in there! I'm proud of you too. FYI, my husband got the fitbit version that tracks sleep. It provided some interesting info but after a week he is ready to return it for the basic version.

Maile - Your post about obstacles struck a chord with me. My problem is "Food creep: the tendency for more food, particularly sugar and starches to creep back into your life." Will work on keeping this in check.

LizzRR - Hugs! Hope you are doing well.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #118  
Started IP 3/26/12

Hi everyone!

I'm now on Day 7 of my reboot, and things are still good. Yesterday was a higher sodium day, and that darn water retention was playing havoc with the scale this am. I'm being particularly careful today to keep the sodium level lower so the scale doesn't 'mock' me tomorrow. LOL.

Got up early enough to again exercise before I got busy with work today. Did a Leslie Sansome walking program where she includes the use of light hand weights for muscle building/toning this am. Love it. Getting that exercise in first thing in the morning definitely makes me feel more energized.

Maille - I don't know how your friend does it... I'd be too hungry between dinner and bedtime if I just had soup for dinner. I find that big portion of meat/protein really helps me feel satiated. Thanks for that info from Refuse to Regain ... very informative and thought provoking. This POW person was definitely succumbing to starch & sugar 'food creep' and it was time to take control again with a reboot.

Chloe222 Hi! to you too. Yes, I've been continuing with my reading efforts... can't even remember them all at this point... this past weekend I read Dr. Robert Lustig's 'Fat Chance'. Very interesting. It's definitely helping me stay focused on my reboot. I needed to re-immerse myself in this type of information again to help myself get back on track and nix the sugar and starch.

clb70 Thanks for that info re your hubby and his Fitbit. I've been wondering if I wouldn't react exactly the same... the more expensive ones have gadgets that are 'interesting' but I'm not at all sure I need them or would even find them beneficial. Your comment strengthens my belief that I probably will be just find with the basic Fitbit.

Cheekyskeeter Sounds like things are going well for you - have fun with your running.

Can't think of anything else --- hope you are all having a good day.

Last edited by evepet; 08-08-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #119  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Just checking in today. I'm finally home from Florida and will be home for 4 days. Then I'll be with the twins for 5 days.

Maile, my copy of Refuse to Regain arrived today from Amazon! It took 2 days from the moment of the order to arrival at my doorstep. Amazon magic! Thanks so much for this referral. You should get a commission for this. Also - what a family tradition of teachers you have! Have fun with your daughter!

cbl170: Congrats on your reboot! You did it in 3 weeks! How wonderful is that! It's really great that we have this tool that we can fall back on. Have fun in Vegas!

evepet: Keep it up with your reboot! Happy to hear it's going well! Wow, I think I will try to get the exercise in the morning too. I usually go to swim at about 5:30 in the afternoon. Lately it's been really hot here at that time. (96-100)

Chloe: Good luck with your reboot! TOPS is a good group. I know you can do this.

Greetings to all of you!
I guess we're waiting for the news from LizRR. She should be due around now.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #120  
Maile

Joysh:Enjoy your days before you head off to the twins! I hope you like the book. I will be curious to see what you think of her meal plan..one large meal and then smaller meals like soup and salad. I tend to eat 3 large meals.

Evepet: I also tend to eat large meals and could not survive on just soup and salad. You are doing great on your reboot! Day 7 and exercising in the morning.

cbl170: Have a great time in Las Vegas. How nice to be going over there in your range.

Cheekskeeter: You have got the maintenance well in hand. Running is a great exercise.

Chloe: I think TOPS is an excellent supportive group. Ishbel loves her support from them and I have friends who also love their groups.
This weight journey is not an easy one, and I think any supports or tools that you can find to help you are so worth it.That is why I read books or articles on the subject. Thanks for your kind words.

We cooked 3 kinds of bul gogi last night..a korean sesame oil beef dish. I knew the sodium would affect the scale today..but it does mean I have to like it.

Last edited by Maile; 08-09-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Closed Thread