Iron

• I haven't lost any hair throughout being on IP until just weeks ago, like lots. I started taking my Alive multivitamins instead of my IP supplements because I'm in maintenance now and I just wanted to be taking fewer pills.

Well, the only difference I can really pinpoint is my multivitamin. Can iron deficiency cause hairloss? Is ferrous citrate a better form of iron than ferrous fumarate?

Any help or advice appreciated.
  • Oh yes.
    Google this: iron deficiency hair loss
    Lots of info!
    Great reason for all of the omnivores among us to NOT shy-away from red meat!
  • Quote: I haven't lost any hair throughout being on IP until just weeks ago, like lots. I started taking my Alive multivitamins instead of my IP supplements because I'm in maintenance now and I just wanted to be taking fewer pills.

Well, the only difference I can really pinpoint is my multivitamin. Can iron deficiency cause hairloss? Is ferrous citrate a better form of iron than ferrous fumarate?

This has been my working theory for the past month or so. I began taking an iron supplement every other day to see if it would help. I think it has, but am not sure enough to make any claims or recommendations yet. I do know that when I had my D&C and ablation last year and was anemic for a while while I recovered, I saw the same kind of hair loss. Once my blood count was back to normal, so was my hair. (Btw, I do eat a goodly amount of red meat and have all along.)
  • Quote: I haven't lost any hair throughout being on IP until just weeks ago, like lots. I started taking my Alive multivitamins instead of my IP supplements because I'm in maintenance now and I just wanted to be taking fewer pills.

My Dr put me on 2 ferrous citrate 325 mg per day. I'm very anemic but she also did it for the hair loss. Not sure yet if it is helping? Still losing a lot.
  • Quote: My Dr put me on 2 ferrous citrate 325 mg per day. I'm very anemic but she also did it for the hair loss. Not sure yet if it is helping? Still losing a lot.
    Being very anemic, can you still be on a diet?
  • Quote: Being very anemic, can you still be on a diet?
    My DR does not have a problem with it. She's been very happy with the my success of getting off the diabetes meds after losing 25 pounds.