Old 08-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #31  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
yup. Listed as nectar, medical, unflavored
do i need low carb potato flakes or any dried potato flakes?? i have never used dried potato flakes, can you help me with which ones to buy?
rainbowsmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
do i need low carb potato flakes or any dried potato flakes?? i have never used dried potato flakes, can you help me with which ones to buy?
I think you use so little that it doesn't matter.
Looks like kaplods used the ones from Aldi...definitely not low carb. And the IP label just says "potato flakes"
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #33  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Yep, I just used a standard box of instant mashed potato flakes. The ingredients on the box were potato flakes made from dehydrated potatoes and a preservative or two - that's it.

I forget the preservative names, but they were the same preservatives in the IP packet.

If you choose to add Butter Budz, flavoring it also contains only ingredients and preservatives that are found in the IP packet.

Low-carb mashed potatoes aren't made from potatoes (usually it's cauliflower or some other low-carb vegetable).. The IP packet lists actual potato flakes, so that's what I used in making my packet copy.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Not sure if anyone is interested but I made a homemade questbar from directions on a website. If you want the website just send me a message.

In any case, here is the recipe. The website has pictures so you can see what it looks like. You could probably full around with this recipe and use more natural products if you like.
-1/3 cup Isopure or Syntrax Nectar protein Isolate (I use Isopure because it's fortified, but Nectar will give you less of a calcium taste)
-2 Tbsp Almond flour, the finer the better. I make my own.
-5 Candies where Isomalt is the main ingredient and the flavor will suit the bar. I used sugar free Werthers because I liked the buttery caramel flavor with the plain vanilla.
-1/2 Tsp Da Vinci's sugar free syrup. This is my sucralose source of choice, you can use a different one.
-1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract or real Vanilla Bean
-1/2 Tsp Lo Han Guo. Again, you can sub Stevia.
-Dash of sea salt
-Water
Step 1 - Melting Isomalt Candies
ONLY USE LOW HEAT. I set my stove to 2 at the highest. This step might take longer waiting for it to melt, but you really don't want to deal with what happens when this stuff burns.
Step 2 - Mixing water
After it melts you want to sprinkle on a few drops of water here and there until it gets a syrupy consistency and is easy to stir.
Step 3 - Adding the Sweetener and Flavor Extracts
Add your lo han guo, vanilla extract, Da Vinci's syrup, sea salt, and stir. Sprinkle on more water to keep it warn and syrupy if needed. I didn't do it for this batch, but this is where I usually add extracts and spices to make my other flavored bars like pumpkin, lemon cream, dark chocolate, cinnamon roll, pandan coconut, etc.
Step 4 - Adding Protein and Almond meal/flour
Dump in your protein and almond flour. Stir, and don't be discouraged by the mess it looks like.
Step 5 - Prep for folding
Get it Ready to be handled after stirring it on the heat as much as you can. You may need to add a little protein powder to it and your hands to keep it from sticking to you.
Step 6 - Knead and Fold
Knead and fold the dough as much as you can and as quickly as possibly while its warm. you may need to add it back to the heat for a few minutes if it crumbles too much. Add sprinkles of water as you need to if it's too powdery, or protein powder if it's too thin. The dough should look like this while still just above room temperature. I didn't do it for this recipe, but this is where you would fold in things like nuts, dried fruit, or, as it gets much cooler, cold chocolate chunks.
Step 7 - Press into Container or Mold
Press the firm dough into a lightly greased container or mold. Put in the fridge until it gets below room temperature. After it chills, pop that chunk of yummy protein dough out. It should be firm and easy to cut, but hard to mold by now.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #35  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Wildviolets, I've just been reading about making homemade quest bars. I'm surprised to see that you could use Isopure or Syntrax Nectar protein Isolate -- the same ingredient Kaplods used in the potato packet? I thought Isopure was a liquid. How did your bar taste?
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:29 PM   #36  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwShucks View Post
Wildviolets, I've just been reading about making homemade quest bars. I'm surprised to see that you could use Isopure or Syntrax Nectar protein Isolate -- the same ingredient Kaplods used in the potato packet? I thought Isopure was a liquid. How did your bar taste?
Isopure sells flavored and unflavored dry protein powders as well as RTD beverages.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-03-2014 at 10:36 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Hi, I see Kaplods answered your question. I used the powdered version. I haven't made these in a while. I think the sugar alcohols bother my stomach a bit. Hope they work for you. I was quite excited when I made them the first time.
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 207/174/150

Height: 5"3'

Default Protein powder....thoughts? Help

Has anyone every tried the stronger faster healthier brand of whey protein powders?

It's claims no antibiotics, no hormones, no soy lecithin, gluten or added carbs. 130 calories (14 from fat). Total fat 2g, sat fat 0.9g. Cholesterol 30mg, protein 25.1g, calcium 118mg, sodium 44mg, potassium 148mg.

Ingredients: whey 25.9g (contains lactose, 3.0g) sunflower lecithin 0.3g and stevia 0.2g

Serving size is 30g (30 servings per bag) it has lots of amino acids

Wasn't sure if it could work as a phase1 or phase2 alternative for protein powder
candoit in Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote