Old 06-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4

Talking Coffe whitner instead of skim milk

I have been using skim milk in my coffee the last 3 days since I started my IP alternative plan. For the most part I could handle the taste of my coffee but found it a bit lacking. I really love creamy coffee!! Anywho, today I looked at the label for the no name brand coffee whitener we use here from Superstore and noticed it has only 15 calories and 1g of fat. Can I use it instead of the skim milk? It makes coffee taste soooooo much yummier!!!
fushiabaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #2  

Sorry, but the answer is no if you are going to do IP the way it is intended.

I also love creamy coffee, but have decided to forego until I am in maintenance, if I still want it. I have switched to herbal tea because the one ounce of skim milk in my coffee was never going to satisfy me.
goldilocksinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

This is not what you want to hear, but in a word, NO !! There is no category under that would not be a cheat! Don't set yourself up for failure. You will get used to the 2 TBSP of skim milk - and if you can't adjust to that, maybe you might want to switch to tea OR try to drink you coffee black. Your tastes will adjust after a few day.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/230/190

Height: 5'10"

1 cup of Skim milk has about 86 cal., 0 fat, and 12 grams carbs. I forget how much they allow us...but I use the cup amount to compare.

I am assuming what you wrote is nutritional info. for 1 cup. Check the total grams of carbs to. Check the ingredients....if there are a lot of things you don't recognize...then it may just be a bunch of chemicals...Your choice to use it or not, but it's always good to know what you are eating/drinking.

I have the same problem...I like my coffee with good cream. After looking around a lot I switched to unsweetened almond milk. 40 calories, 2g fat, and 1g carb in 1 cup. (so it's a bit less carbs and calories than skim) Trader Joe's brand is a bit creamier than other brands. I have yet to find a true replacement for half and half...that is the BEST.

Last edited by SleepyT; 06-15-2013 at 06:45 PM.
SleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #5  

Well that sucks I will just have to adjust then The last thing I want to do is have something as small as coffee whitener be detrimental to my weight loss!

I do have almond milk, I may try that. Give up coffee? I don't think I could ever do that! LOL!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 228.8/170/140

Height: 5'3"

Almond milk is not allowed either.
I have been putting the Vanilla RTD into my morning tea (along with spices). My tea tastes like a vanilla chai, just without all the milk and sugar. A friend of mine uses the vanilla shake in her coffee every morning too. Maybe it'll work out for your coffee.
Cynaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 199/ticker!/135

Height: 5'7"

I love using the vanilla shake in my morning coffee/tea. A little walden farms caramel makes it o so good also.
athena4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #8  

Alrighty then almond milk is out I guess I'll just adjust. Walden Farms products are very hard to find in Calgary. At least I haven't been able to find any yet. The skim milk will have to do!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #9  

Yes, why don't you try the RTD vanilla shake? My coach gave it to me the first week to use in my coffee for the week. She said I could sub that for the 1 ounce of skim milk. Maybe you will like it!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocksinct View Post
Yes, why don't you try the RTD vanilla shake? My coach gave it to me the first week to use in my coffee for the week. She said I could sub that for the 1 ounce of skim milk. Maybe you will like it!
I'm using alternatives due to financial reasons.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fushiabaxton View Post
Oops, they have to sell an alternative vanilla shake, I imagine. Even the EAS Carb Control ones folks use come in vanilla (not sure about Canada for that).
Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Any alternative vanilla shake that you would normally use would be fine to use as creamer in your coffee, in measured amounts. I would often use either the EAS Carb AdvantEDGE vanilla shake or the Pure Protein vanilla shake, no more than 1/4 cup, as my creamer.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Any alternative vanilla shake that you would normally use would be fine to use as creamer in your coffee, in measured amounts. I would often use either the EAS Carb AdvantEDGE vanilla shake or the Pure Protein vanilla shake, no more than 1/4 cup, as my creamer.
Good to know! I will try that! Thank you
Old 06-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #14  
4/15/13

S/C/G: 232.4/TTT/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Alrighty then almond milk is out I guess I'll just adjust. Walden Farms products are very hard to find in Calgary. At least I haven't been able to find any yet. The skim milk will have to do!!
nope..... there are easy to find, go to the lowcarbcanada store up in the north east, south of mcknight
Low Carb Canada: West Coast
#3-4709-14 Street N.E.
Calgary, AB T2E 6S4
Local: 403-230-8383
accgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by accgy View Post
nope..... there are easy to find, go to the lowcarbcanada store up in the north east, south of mcknight
Low Carb Canada: West Coast
#3-4709-14 Street N.E.
Calgary, AB T2E 6S4
Local: 403-230-8383
Awesome! Thank you! I tried to google Walden Farms products but couldn't find anything here!! Will definitely be going this week. Thank you again!