Will I ever feel like myself on this diet?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: BUT before this program, I had tried everything. The things that worked for me in the past were not working-- WW, calorie counting, excercise. I am 46, and I really believe it's age related. This is the only thing that has worked.
    An on option to consider may be IP Phase 1 Alternative which is different from using alternative products. I know one lady who couldn't do P1 but lost on the Alt plan.
  • Quote: John, my caffeine intake is about 3 cups of coffee a day, maybe 2. I probably had 3-5 before IP when I could add cream and Splenda. Before IP and after, I would try to switch to decaf after 3.

I must say I think your ideas are intresting. Of all the things I gave up,and I am a very heavy sweets/carb eater, the only think I crave is the fruit I have around for the kids.

BUT before this program, I had tried everything. The things that worked for me in the past were not working-- WW, calorie counting, excercise. I am 46, and I really believe it's age related. This is the only thing that has worked.
    I'd guess that the primary problem is simply the low calorie/low carb combo. Caffeine decrease by 200-300 mg per day wouldn't account for always feeling low energy.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide. I'd suggest a little experimentation and see if eating a couple pieces of fruit kicks up your energy levels or not. If it does kick up your energy levels where you feel more like yourself it is likely that you'll be burning enough calories with the extra energy to compensate for the increase in calories. It is also likely that this will kick you out of ketosis so you'll have to be wary of how this affects you in regards to hunger and mood.

Ketosis affects everyone a little different. I personally got a lot of benefit out of it when I was 280 lbs but now I get very little (if any) benefit now. Over the course of 2-3 days you should have an idea of whether or not this helps, hurts, or has no effect. For these 2-3 days you should ignor any results on the scale and simply focus in on how you feel.

Finally, at the risk of souding rude, when people tell me the IP diet is the only thing that worked and then have a list of things that didn't work I always have the same question. Were you eating 700-900 calories a day on the other plans? No, you weren't. I'm not saying the IP diet is anything like the HCG diet but people often will say the same thing - I tried blah blah and it didn't work but the HCG diet worked great. It works because one eats 500 calories a day ... the special magic HCG drops do nothing.
  • thought I'd pipe in here...B12 and iron (beef) will help IF you're levels are low. Won't change a thing if they aren't. I am very sensitive to caffeine, and it does affect how I sleep/feel. I am on a medical journey, I have (and teach) little ones, so everyone is on board: DH takes up more slack, kids are doing more for themselves, and my principal is aware that if he sees me "sitting around" it's not because I'm slacking, just temporarily low on energy. Everyone has to be on board. You can't go on this diet and continue doing the things you used to do. But it's not forever, and it's your health.
  • Quote:
    Ultimately it is up to you to decide. I'd suggest a little experimentation and see if eating a couple pieces of fruit kicks up your energy levels or not. If it does kick up your energy levels where you feel more like yourself it is likely that you'll be burning enough calories with the extra energy to compensate for the increase in calories. It is also likely that this will kick you out of ketosis so you'll have to be wary of how this affects you in regards to hunger and mood.

Finally, at the risk of souding rude, when people tell me the IP diet is the only thing that worked and then have a list of things that didn't work I always have the same question. Were you eating 700-900 calories a day on the other plans? No, you weren't. I'm not saying the IP diet is anything like the HCG diet but people often will say the same thing - I tried blah blah and it didn't work but the HCG diet worked great. It works because one eats 500 calories a day ... the special magic HCG drops do nothing.
    I find it hard to believe mood would be worse. I get that I could be hungrier. don't think you sound rude.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I think the trade off would be slowing weight loss down. Which poses the question can I do this without a mentor because if it takes longer than a couple months, I can't keep up this cost. We'll see. I'll let you all know how it works out.
  • Quote: I find it hard to believe mood would be worse. I get that I could be hungrier. don't think you sound rude.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. I think the trade off would be slowing weight loss down. Which poses the question can I do this without a mentor because if it takes longer than a couple months, I can't keep up this cost. We'll see. I'll let you all know how it works out.
    Keep in mind that if you're feeling very lethargic the energy you're expending through NEAT and SPA is going to be very low. So the increased calories might not slow down your fat loss at all and potentially could accellerate it.

On the cost issue - you could explore some of the alternative threads. The main thing you get with IP is in person support and accountability. For some people this is quite critical for others it is not.
  • Hi everyone, I've been seeing a few post about lack of energy, so I thought I would update you on my journey with this.

I just completed my 7th week. Aside from using more alternatives than when I first started, I am 100% protocol.

This group and my coach have been invaluable.

1. I take B12- 2500mcg, twice a day.

2. I use the sea salt every day- on salads, meats, soups, etc. I am not frugal in this. (I have noticed an increase in bloating lately, so I may have to re-evaluate this soon)

3. I eat lean ground beef at least twice, sometimes three times a week.

4. Every day I have a Powerade Zero. Recommended by the doctor who works at our site for me because of the electrolytes.

Not 100% sure of the rationale behind every suggestion. Just know that it works for me and allows me to continue on the program.

Do I feel better? Yes. Do I feel like myself completely? No. My energy is better, but I don't quite feel that happy feeling I get after eating a piece of fruit.

After 7 weeks, still struggling with maybe to add a piece of fruit a day to see how it will effect me, but I tend to really be disciplined about programs I follow, and I just can't seem to jump that hurdle yet. We'll see...

I've lost fairly OK, but my weight loss has not been as dramatic as others. Anyway, just thought I would share since I've gotten such good advice from others.