Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #151  

S/C/G: 338/338/140

Height: 5'5"

Mind if I join you guys? I'm 52, on day 3, using a combo of Ideal Protein and alternatives. No coach. Just me, myself, and I - and of course, this forum!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #152  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

S/C/G: 250/119/124

Welcome Princess Peacock! You came to the right place!

6565 - I hear you about the 'being petite' issues, at 5 foot 1.5 inches I am not exactly an Amazon either! My company wellness centers provide this service where you can go and have your metabolism checked to see what your basal rate is - you have to be fasting so they do it first thing in the morning, but all it involves is blowing into a tube. I figure there is no point doing it now, but once I get into phase 4 maintenance, I will go ahead and do that to help me determine a calorie range. But, like you, I will have to make careful choices.

Had the ready-made chocolate pudding for breakfast again. I am obsessed with that stuff, LOL!

Very wet and rainy here, with no sunshine in sight! I will depend on all of you to be my sunshine! : )

Have a great week!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peacock View Post
Mind if I join you guys? I'm 52, on day 3, using a combo of Ideal Protein and alternatives. No coach. Just me, myself, and I - and of course, this forum!
Nice to have you along for the ride...WELCOME!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #154  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post

6565 - I hear you about the 'being petite' issues, at 5 foot 1.5 inches I am not exactly an Amazon either! My company wellness centers provide this service where you can go and have your metabolism checked to see what your basal rate is - you have to be fasting so they do it first thing in the morning, but all it involves is blowing into a tube. I figure there is no point doing it now, but once I get into phase 4 maintenance, I will go ahead and do that to help me determine a calorie range. But, like you, I will have to make careful choices.

Had the ready-made chocolate pudding for breakfast again. I am obsessed with that stuff, LOL!

Very wet and rainy here, with no sunshine in sight! I will depend on all of you to be my sunshine! : )

Have a great week!
Yes..you are also going to be looking at "downsizing" everything on your plate! When I started this..you had just about lost the amount I was hoping to lose...and have expanded my original goal now.. watching your posts and progress helped me feel this was possible. (I did not know how "young" you were though!). I was so afraid my age was going to make this journey next to impossible...but it has not. It's been slower...but not impossible. Yesterday I bought dressy black capris in a size 4...it's been a long time coming... and there is still a long way to go on my radar!

You have been an inspiration..Thanks! And congratulations on being so close to your goal...Please don't desert us!! It's nice to follow your success and read about your experience....( oh yes...and I also really like the choc puddings a lot! They are amazing when made in the blender)!

Last edited by 65X65; 07-03-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #155  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Peacock View Post
Welcome! Nice to have you with us.

Hello All, I've been heads down working and trying to figure out maintenance. I feel like a kid learning how to ride a bike and wobbling down the path with the maintenance. Eventually I'll get my balance figured out and have a smooth ride. I just keep trying, and some days putting the "training wheels" of P1 back on. I've got my training wheels on for a few days this week to get the feel of control again.

I've tried to read and catch up a bit, but I'm way behind. Happy July 4th (even those not in the USA can enjoy July 4th in itself and happy Independence Day to the USA)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 151.5/142.5/128

Height: 5'4"

Smile Cheater back on the path!

Hi gang! I started my first round on St Patty's and had done so well that I thought I knew best..and started to snarf a piece of chocolate here and there at work; then "only" a glass of wine and one "little piece of bread" going out to dinner...and despite realizing that I was sabatoging only myself, I just was skating (not committing) to IP.

I was enroute to WI when I found myself CONSCIOUSLY going to drive thru for those chocolate chip cookies and a diet coke. That is when I knew I can't do this alone or "on my own". So this is Day 2 of my second round--and ya know what? I am full! I wasn't regularly eating veggies so no wonder my "anxiety eating" gravitated to junk!

I don't know how I found this blog but soooo glad I did as the Sticky Info --especially about cheating!--really helped "get my mind right"!!!

Thanks for listening!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #157  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi all, especially those that are new to the fabulous 50+ thread.

Keeping very busy with house and garden things up here in Michigan. We were back in Georgia for a couple weeks and now back up here until hopefully mid-September unless I have to go back for a job. Don't have anything definite yet. My old job is available, but has but has been downgraded a pay grade (yuck). It will be better than nothing. Since it's less, I'm trying to get them to make it a remote worker job. Two reasons. My commute is 400 miles a week PLUS I'd love to be able to work from the place in Michigan some and spend a bit more time than some quick vacations. Everyone keep your fingers crossed for me.

Mowing lawns (we have two lots here) has knocked off my 4 lbs of gain from a bit too many carbs a couple weeks ago. I just don't need to get cocky about it and go back up again. I won't always have the exercise I have up here working around the place.

Barb, you will figure out maintenance, I guarantee. It does take a couple months of trying things and feeling comfortable with your new state.

All of you still working towards goal, you'll make it and it's so worth it and you will enjoy your new life.

Molly
Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #158  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

Aww, thanks for the kind words, 65x65! No, I am not about to desert this forum! It keeps me going!

Haven't tried the orange wafer yet, even though I bought a box. Today I was just in the mood for a frozen caramel nut bar as my restricted. So tomorrow can be orange wafer day!

Halfagain, I have started seriously reading the P2/P3/Maintenance threads lately - I am looking forward to that next part of the challenge, but it definitely *will* be a challenge and kind of scary! I am hoping that I can have my one year anniversary on IP as a fun day, but not sure I will be that far along at that point. I'm definitely going to buy a box of the 'complete' to have on hand.

Those P3 breakfasts kind of scare me the most. I am? was? a diabetic, and that is way more carbs at one meal than has ever been recommended to me by dieticians, the diabetic advising nurses, etc. I'm not sure I really want to do it, though I do understand the reasoning. Just not sure I really want it to be THAT many carbs! I don't know, maybe it will be OK. I just took my blood sugar and it is 70. So maybe I will be able to tolerate it? I guess I will just have to keep testing when I get to that point to make sure nothing is going whacko.

Happy Fourth everyone! I hope we get a day without rain!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #159  

Alison: you may need a more gradual carb increase until you see if you have solved your type 2 diabetes. It IS reversible so it is possible

Go with what you know when the time comes.

Molly: I hope telecommuting works out!!!

Last edited by lisa32989; 07-03-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #160  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone! Just checking in!

It's been a great summer thus far! I'm 2 months into maintenance and pretty much have it down. I know how fragile it is, though, so I'm pretty vigilant. It's easy when I'm home; a little more difficult when I'm on the road.

I'm getting ready for a big trip. Leaving tomorrow for Houston, then up to the NE. Upstate NY, DC, NYC, etc. Last year I took a suitcase full of IP foods. This year I'm on my own, but determined to keep this weight off.

Welcome Princess Peacock and Chinookgir and Shantimoml!! Hang in there! This really works!

Alison and 6565, I'm with you on the height. At 5'1' my daily calorie range is around 1450 for maintenance. That's just the reality of this body. But I learned on IP that being thin is better than eating sweets, so I'm ok with that. I do still have my chocolate protein bar in the afternoon almost every day, so that satisfies the chocolate quota and gives me some protein.

Wow, 65, those size 4 capris sound great! I've been getting into 4s and 6s and I'm still amazed that they fit! I used to shop in the plus section, now it's petite all the way - and S or XS for me! Pretty wild and great!

Halfagain, hang in there. You'll get it.

Hi Molly! You're putting the miles, aren't you? Exercise works wonders at this point... I had been swimming and missed a week. I really feel it.

Hi to the rest of you, too! Happy day!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #161  

S/C/G: 231.0/183/140

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the lovely welcome ! Day 5, still feeling tired. I did a 3 hour yard work session and worry that I may have overdone it, going for a walk today instead. Will this much exercise throw me out of Ketosis Have a great Friday everyone!! We are celebrating stampede this next 10 days and the Midway is a killer with all the food smells. I am giving it a miss this year
Old 07-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinookgirl View Post
Thanks for the lovely welcome ! Day 5, still feeling tired. I did a 3 hour yard work session and worry that I may have overdone it, going for a walk today instead. Will this much exercise throw me out of Ketosis Have a great Friday everyone!! We are celebrating stampede this next 10 days and the Midway is a killer with all the food smells. I am giving it a miss this year
Did you have an extra packet (or two) during/after 3 hours of yardwork?
IP recommends curtailing exercise until your body acclimates to ketosis (3-4 weeks) and then only mild-moderate exercise (gentle walks, gentle yoga, etc)
Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #163  

Default 5'2'' and under...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi Everyone! Just checking in!

Alison and 6565, I'm with you on the height. At 5'1' my daily calorie range is around 1450 for maintenance. That's just the reality of this body. But I learned on IP that being thin is better than eating sweets, so I'm ok with that. I do still have my chocolate protein bar in the afternoon almost every day, so that satisfies the chocolate quota and gives me some protein.

Wow, 65, those size 4 capris sound great! I've been getting into 4s and 6s and I'm still amazed that they fit! I used to shop in the plus section, now it's petite all the way - and S or XS for me! Pretty wild and great!

Hi to the rest of you, too! Happy day!
We could probably use a "shorties" thread for maintenance support!!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #164  
IP Start Date 8/31/2012

65x65, LOL about "shorties" thread! Not a bad idea!!

Lisa, doing a more gradual increase of carbs in phase 3 sounds like a very sensible idea - I will discuss that with my coach.

Joysh, thanks for sharing your tip about using bars in maintenance! I keep wondering about that, about what products people keep using, if any. I am going to have a lot of product left over when I am done, so I see myself using them up but then a big question mark. Definitely think I will keep on with the bars. I love the Ideal Protein products but they are so much more expensive than roughly similar items. I sometimes do a couple of hours of work for my clinic, and they pay me in boxes of food, so I suppose that will be enough IP for me in maintenance!

I tried the orange wafer yesterday and liked it! I think I like it a little better than the strawberry wafer because it is less sweet. Both of them are excellent, but not something I eat every week. Otherwise, from a food perspective, the Fourth was uneventful, I ate pretty much the same way as I always eat. This will be my last holiday on phase 1, by Labor Day I should be on maintenance or at least Phase 3.

I was glancing through Dr. Tran's book today, and noticed that the BMI table in the back appears to be incorrect. Has anyone else noticed this?

Have a great week!
Old 07-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #165  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonS View Post
Joysh, thanks for sharing your tip about using bars in maintenance! I keep wondering about that, about what products people keep using, if any. I am going to have a lot of product left over when I am done, so I see myself using them up but then a big question mark. Definitely think I will keep on with the bars. I love the Ideal Protein products but they are so much more expensive than roughly similar items. I sometimes do a couple of hours of work for my clinic, and they pay me in boxes of food, so I suppose that will be enough IP for me in maintenance!
Hi Alison,

I have kept around bars, shakes, and especially the Chocolate Chip Sweet Roll (Nashua). I have been using alternatives since the third month in (a very bad coach). I use the sweet roll mix to enhance the protein in the P3 Breakfast Cookie recipe, which gives me a great take along breakfast for on the road travels. I find times when I'm stuck without enough protein at lunch so I add a bar or shake. For me, I find not being correctly balanced makes me hungry faster. Being hungry leads to mistakes of eating the wrong things. Hope this helps with your wonders and fears of maintenance. I know, I've been there and it does work out okay. Just read what others are doing and ask questions of those of us who are making it on maintenance.

Molly
Closed Thread