Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 303/144.8/145

Height: 5'4"

Thank-you Lisa for the information. I will look at my Vita D label and see which one I have, and change if needed. It was encouraging to find that there are lots of others who have same issues, just one of the many reasons I like this forum
Breakofday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 204/164/150

Height: 5'6

I found out that I was vitamin D deficient in November 2010. I was instructed to take 1000IU of D3 every day to see if that would help (I believe my bloodwork showed that my vitamin D was 25 at the highest). I had been taking it every day since and my blood work showed no improvement. I started taking 2000IU because they were on sale when I went to buy more...no change. Then I started the IP diet. I was still taking 2000IU...after 3 months on IP (and 35lbs lost) I got my blood work done. My vitamin D was 43. I happened to switch doctors since starting the diet so my new doctor was concerned about my Vitamin D level ONLY being 43. I had to laugh and tell him that 43 was AWESOME for me. If I hadn't been getting it checked, I wouldn't have known. So if anything, IP and weight loss has helped me.
anigurl715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I too found out about 5 yrs ago that I was severely deficient. My level was the lowest my doc ever saw, 7. I see someone else at 7. I take 50K/week and it still only gets up to 28,maybe an absorption problem. I live in upstate NY. My thyroid was also underactive & B12 was low.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #19  

I take 8,000 IU of vitamin D3 per day, down from 10,000 IU when I was heavier.
If levels stay optimal, I'm guessing that will go down to 5,000.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #20  
Ideal Bellydancer

S/C/G: 172/160/130

I was also diagnosed vitamin D deficient a few years back. It was 13 at it's lowest. I remember not being able to stand up straight out of bed and also unable to lift myself of a sitting position without my hands. Two days after starting vitamin D supplements those problems went away. Anyone else ever have that?

I take 5000 a day. I started at 2000 and it wasn't enough. I was a sun worshiper all my life, drank milk, etc and still was deficient. I also have premature ovarian failure which I think was the cause.
undul8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #21  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

2 years ago I was told I was severely deficient in Vitamin D I was also depressed so I wasn't going outside or doing anything active.

So I went on vitamin D pills for over a year and they are back where they are... I also was on depression medication that helped me be more active and want to spend time outside.

Oh and when it was at the worst I was taking 12,000 a day for 3 weeks then down to 10,000 for 2 weeks... and slowly lowered it 2,000 every two weeks till I was down to 4,000-5,000 a week and was on that for almost 8 months till I lowered it to 2,000.

I could tell a difference once I got the right levels.

Last edited by Calisto; 05-26-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

I post a link to a paleo site here, which I have found useful. I was mostly interested in the effects of long-term low carb on thyroid function. But the issue about vitamin D may be interesting as well. Particularly in the Q&A where he talks about the dangers of taking vit D with calcium supplements without calibrating vit A and K2.

http://chriskresser.com/the-role-of-...roid-disorders
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #23  

Many supplements have catalysts and antagonists

That is why many of the "studies" we hear about in mainstream are bogus.
When people who don't understand the interaction between supplements do the research, of course they find negative results
Do a study on vitamin D without K & A = skewed results

It is kind of similar to most research on low carb
Either the plan isn't truly low carb or the comparison group is skewed somehow
Researchers are great at "proving" things don't work but not often so good at finding out if something works!

Chris Kesser is one if many good sources of info
I also like Dr Cate Shanahan (good thyroid info)
Paul Jaminet (perfect healthier.com) - more thyroid info
Reed Davis
Dr William Davis
Dr Johnny Bowden
Dr Sara Gottfried (Hormone Cure)
Even Dr Mercola does a great job of explaining nutrient interactions (while hard-selling)
Sean Croxton - underground wellness
The list goes on!

Last edited by lisa32989; 06-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #24  

Thanks for the links. I'll check them.

Low carb is currently investigated as a treatment option in cancer. There will be a lot more human studies in the future at some point. Animal studies are very perplexing at the moment. But I think molecular mechanisms will become clearer with studies on white and brown adipose tissues. That is if science in the US survives the next five years. Research needs money and time. Proving what works and doe not work is actually often the same if an experiment is well set up. But good nutrition studies using human subjects are very expensive. I think that is where the main problem lies. No patents, no corporate interest, and currently no NIH interest either.

I mainly posted the link since a lot of people may treat themselves with vitamin D. This may pose a problem with the rather high concentrations of calcium taken with the IP diet if intake is not properly monitored. Also, I regard vitamin D more as a hormone than a vitamin. Hormones need to be carefully dosed.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #25  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Vitamin D is another area where the Natruopathic Docs & Functional Medicine docs were way ahead of the MDs. Part of this is the difference in training. Vitamins & nutrition really aren't part of the curriculum for MDs. The ones who know have sought out more training.

Those of you who "know" me probably think I'm an MD-basher. Not so. They're great for what they're trained in. Have a traumatic injury? Go to an MD. Have an infectious disease? They're your folks. Acute medical condition? Again...MD. (this is not a complete list!)

I've just learned, over time, that for more chronic issues, the more holistic, natural approaches coupled with lifestyle changes backed by knowledge (and MDs don't really understand the lifestyle change b/c it is isn't in their training) comes from the Naturopaths and the Functional Medicine folks

For example: I learned about Vitamin D many years ago, before conventional medicine was talking about it. Then the pharmaceutical companies developed a pill and suddenly all the docs knew about it too (a lot of post-medical school education for doctors comes from the pharmaceutical companies). But what I learned is there are 2 kinds of Vitamin D. In a nutshell, one kind (D3) is more absorbable for people. My sources told me the Rx wasn't D3, it was D2. So, people & insurance companies were spending $$$$ on something that could be had over-the-counter for product more efficiently absorbed in the human body.

I shared this info with a friend of mine about 5 years ago. She had super low D. She'd been on the Rx & her doc couldn't figure out why her levels hadn't increased. I sent my friend some research I had done (from a variety of sources since I'm not a medical professional). She went out and bought some D3 gel caps. Her very next blood test, the D levels had increased and by the one after that they were well within the normal range! She shared the info with her doc and now her doc tells people to buy the over-the-counter pills instead of the D2 Rx. I'm not sure what dosage the doc suggests and only blood tests can tell for sure what dosage works bests for each individual.

Just thought I'd share what I've learned. If you don't know your Vitamin D level, it is probably a good thing to have checked because the majority of us are deficient. Our indoor/covered-up lifestyles just don't give us the sun exposure to create our own anymore. And our bodies become less efficient at creating it as we age, as well. I've become more resistant to colds and flu since my Vitamin D level has been optimized (there is "normal" range and then there is optimal). Now, if I could just find the right vitamin to stop me from hurting myself (I'm such a clutz!)
I'm Vitamin D deficient as well, have been for a couple of years. My Dr. put me on an Rx Vitamin D pill & I just Googled it & it is D2, not D3. I just finished 2 months on it and am due to get retested. I will definitely talk to my Dr. about the D3. Thanks!
bluegirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #26  
Started IP 5/25/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I post a link to a paleo site here, which I have found useful. I was mostly interested in the effects of long-term low carb on thyroid function. But the issue about vitamin D may be interesting as well. Particularly in the Q&A where he talks about the dangers of taking vit D with calcium supplements without calibrating vit A and K2.

http://chriskresser.com/the-role-of-...roid-disorders
I did read the Chris Kresser article (thanks). So, I'm confused -- for those of us on the IP diet, should we be cautious about taking Vit D supplements? Or does that not apply to those of us who have been tested & determined to be Vit D deficient?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #27  

I would test your levels. I can't talk about the supplements since I believe they now changed to a different formula. So, I am not sure whether you still take high amounts or not. But besides calcium, Vit D also needs to be taken with A and K (K2?) for best action. This should already be in your vitamin supplement. Just like with herbs, vitamins can have negative effects when taken in excess or when they cause imbalances. And vitamin D acts as a hormone. But it is actually one of few supplements that have been linked to various diseases, including MS, Alzheimer, autoimmune and cancer.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I take 8,000 IU of vitamin D3 per day, down from 10,000 IU when I was heavier.
If levels stay optimal, I'm guessing that will go down to 5,000.
a number of years ago my endocrinologist found I was deficient and had me on 50,000 units as a therapeutic treatment for a short time..two of my sisters were also treated similarly. Probably time to have that checked again. With being retired though...I do get outside more! Being in a high rise office building for very long work days can impact natural vit D absorption. Arriving before daybreak and leaving at dusk...Don't miss those days...not one bit. Just miss the people!
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 PM   #29  
Started IP 5/25/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirl9 View Post
I did read the Chris Kresser article (thanks). So, I'm confused -- for those of us on the IP diet, should we be cautious about taking Vit D supplements? Or does that not apply to those of us who have been tested & determined to be Vit D deficient?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
I would test your levels. I can't talk about the supplements since I believe they now changed to a different formula. So, I am not sure whether you still take high amounts or not. But besides calcium, Vit D also needs to be taken with A and K (K2?) for best action. This should already be in your vitamin supplement. Just like with herbs, vitamins can have negative effects when taken in excess or when they cause imbalances. And vitamin D acts as a hormone. But it is actually one of few supplements that have been linked to various diseases, including MS, Alzheimer, autoimmune and cancer.
So it would be best to take my Vitamin D at the same time as I take an IP Multi-Vitamin?
Old 08-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #30  
IP Start: 05/16/13

S/C/G: 215.8/140.3/145

Height: 5'5"

I have always been Vitamin D deficient (since being tested 5 years ago). I was put on Vit D supplements which caused extremely bad dehydration (like permanent cotton mouth). I have found that simply getting outside every now and again is a better solution for me.
sarita75 is offline   Reply With Quote