Old 05-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Surgery while on Phase 1?

Hello IP friends,

I've been on IP for two weeks, so far so good. I am schedule to have surgery in July. Have any of you had surgery while doing phase 1? Do I need to phase off the diet prior to the surgery? Does anybody know if IV fluids have sugar? I know these are questions for my doctor, but I won't see him until a week prior to surgery. I'm afraid that if I wait until then I won't have time to properly phase off the diet (if needed).

Thanks for out input!
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Hello IP friends,

I've been on IP for two weeks, so far so good. I am schedule to have surgery in July. Have any of you had surgery while doing phase 1? Do I need to phase off the diet prior to the surgery? Does anybody know if IV fluids have sugar? I know these are questions for my doctor, but I won't see him until a week prior to surgery. I'm afraid that if I wait until then I won't have time to properly phase off the diet (if needed).

Thanks for out input!
You should be able to call your doctors office to ask those questions.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #3  

Thanks ragdoll, I will do that. I have a feeling that they are going to tell me to stop the crazy fad diet, and just stick to a healthy well balanced diet. I've gotten that from the few people that I've told about IP.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

You should absolutely discuss these things with the doctor, and possibly also the anesthesiologist. Yes, some IV fluids have dextrose in them, some are saline. Your medical team will be able to tell you what is absolutely necessary, whether being in ketosis will be an issue based on your surgery and anesthesia plan, and help you make a game plan. the most important thing is your health, if they feel you should be off the diet prior to surgery it will all be here when you are healed!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

I had surgery three weeks ago and I did not have to phase off for it, but I would ask your doctor, it really depends on the surgery. Some IV fluids have sugar. I had a two hour procedure and an overnight stay. I did not go out of Ketosis.
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186.6/126.8/125

Height: 5'5"

I had surgery March 8th and didn't have to phase off. Everything went just fine. It never hurts to talk to your doctor about it though.
Suchawittygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #7  

Thanks for the input ladies. I will definitely talk to my doctor. I was thinking that phasing off would be required, but it sounds like it might not be. Anyway, I will continue on phase 1 until I talk to my doctor.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #8  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
You should absolutely discuss these things with the doctor, and possibly also the anesthesiologist. Yes, some IV fluids have dextrose in them, some are saline. Your medical team will be able to tell you what is absolutely necessary, whether being in ketosis will be an issue based on your surgery and anesthesia plan, and help you make a game plan. the most important thing is your health, if they feel you should be off the diet prior to surgery it will all be here when you are healed!
I have to have heart surgery in the fall, and my surgeon knew NOTHING about ketogenic diets. In fact, he confused being in ketosis with ketoacidosis (a deadly issue for diabetics!)

He suggested that I talk to the anesthesiologist a month ahead of surgery to make sure what I need to do...go off diet, phase out, stay on, whatever.

Make sure you talk to SOMEONE to find out what you need to do.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMom09 View Post
Thanks for the input ladies. I will definitely talk to my doctor. I was thinking that phasing off would be required, but it sounds like it might not be. Anyway, I will continue on phase 1 until I talk to my doctor.
It probably depends on different doctor's knowledge levels. Remember, nutrition is NOT their area of expertise.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
I have to have heart surgery in the fall, and my surgeon knew NOTHING about ketogenic diets. In fact, he confused being in ketosis with ketoacidosis (a deadly issue for diabetics!)

He suggested that I talk to the anesthesiologist a month ahead of surgery to make sure what I need to do...go off diet, phase out, stay on, whatever.

Are u sure you want to have someone operate on your heart that doesn't know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis? That is basic medical knowledge!!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #11  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchawittygal View Post
I had surgery March 8th and didn't have to phase off. Everything went just fine. It never hurts to talk to your doctor about it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post

First of all good luck with the surgery. Many of us have had surgery on IP. I was in phase one but it was minor surgery, carpal tunnel. Talk to your Doc. I asked if the IV had sugar in it, they were impressed with my interest and dedication to my diet program, and my weight loss. My IV did not have any in it. But I doubt it would make a huge difference if it did.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #12  

leannekarella - I'm not surprised that your doctor didn't know much about ketogenic diets. I'll probably have surgery before you do, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm having breast reconstruction surgery after the mastectomy I had last year, so it's not minor surgery. I hope my doctor has some knowledge of how a ketogenic diet works.

I am concerned that if I'm in ketosis going into surgery and they end up giving me any kind of sugar in the IV, my body might not be able to handle it very well. I will have to make sure I only get saline or I'll have to phase off the diet prior to the surgery.