Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Default The Cost Of Being Fat

Maybe this has been talked about before, I don’t know, I didn’t search. There that’s my disclaimer.

Instead of the usual spiel about the health costs of being fat – me being the frugal individual I am – that would be interpreted as cheap by my family – I’ve started to think recently of the dollar and cents aspect of being fat. The following ramblings are those thoughts.

Man has being/getting fat cost me a lot $$$. Losing the weight has/is cost(ing) me a lot as well.
It takes a lot of dough ray me in food costs to get to the size I was. For years I was deluding myself about how much I was eating and how much I was wasting. Buy vegetables weekly only to have to throw them out as they spoil. Don’t feel like cooking order in or go out to eat, etc. etc. Factor in salty/fatty snacks or soft drinks and the costs continue to increase.

Factor in clothing. As I expanded and kept needing the next larger size the old wallet kept getting beat up. As we all know when having to shop at places with Big and/or Tall in the store name you automatically pay a premium for clothing. Heck, even if you can find your size in a regular store to get it in our size always costs more. It also seems the selection also goes down when your this size.

I also have seen how my choice in vehicles was/is partially determined by my size. I drive a full size quad cab pick-up truck because that’s one of the few things I could comfortably fit into - -among other reason of course. It would be great to take the DW Rav4 but when you don’t fit in it you can’t take it.

After living at this size for a number of years and deciding to make a change I’ve discovered all new costs that continue to keep my wallet in perpetual state of pain – for a while any way.

First let’s be honest – IP is expensive – thank goodness it works. Pills, powders, etc. it all ups. Clothing has been another big expense as of late. As I’ve shrunk I’ve had to replace my entire wardrobe. Because I was still in the larger size this has meant I have still had to buy at specialty shops and we are talking big time $$$ for clothing that I need for work – no second hand clothing stores that would be suitable for me in my area. Then as I’ve continued to lose the clothes that I’ve purchased are becoming too big which means even more money spent replacing those things.

These are just a few of my thoughts this morning. Like I said, being …… well cheap I guess is the way to describe it, the cost of getting and being fat has taken a toll on the finances. That’s another goal I have for losing this weight – when I am done it will end up saving me money because I will have more choices on what I can buy.

What about you folks, what has being fat cost you?
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #2  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

I totally agree with you. But "being cheap" has nothing to do with it - no one would willingly want to waste money like that. It is true that being fat costs us in so many ways. Emotional cost, life choices cost, money costs (hard earned bucks could have gone on something better than nightly indulgences in whatever I craved that day - usually something expensive), and the health costs and financial costs related to health. Yes, I too have thrown so much food over the years, it could have fed 3 normal-sized people. But having said all that, we shouldn't beat ourselves over it. There is a reason why we did it, why we had to go this path. I don't feel like it was a "choice" for me...I like how Dr. Chanh Tran Tien says, "every pound has a story". It certainly does, a heart-breaking story....
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Oh don't get me wrong, this thread wasn't about poor me or whining about spending money - okay maybe a bit about spending money. This thread is for me - hopefully some others - is to use as motiviation in mine/their weight loss journey and as motivation to continue to maintain once I/we hit goal weight.

I think of it as another reason not to return to the way I was over beyond the physical and emotional impacts that obesity has had on my life.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I will say that I love that I no longer shop at Lane Bryant---I had to pay their exorbitant prices for professional clothes that fit, pretty much the only place in town where I could shop.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #5  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
Oh don't get me wrong, this thread wasn't about poor me or whining about spending money - okay maybe a bit about spending money. This thread is for me - hopefully some others - is to use as motiviation in mine/their weight loss journey and as motivation to continue to maintain once I/we hit goal weight.

I think of it as another reason not to return to the way I was over beyond the physical and emotional impacts that obesity has had on my life.
I do feel emotional today...so don't mind me. But I do know what you mean, that was the line of thinking I had when I stopped smoking 3.5 years ago. One of the motivations was thinking how much money I will save....(which unfortunately went on food instead hahaha). The money factor is certainly a major motivator if the money is tight.... As another example, my aunt stopped drinking and smoking when she felt that she couldn't afford it any more...
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 177.6/165.4/140

Height: 5'5''

My cost of being fat? Depression. Low self esteem. And you can prolly add back injury to that as well. Yes it has come with a cost and losing it is expensive too, but think of what we have learned and hopefully this WILL BE the last time we all have to do this! Love this thread! Thanks for pointing out the obvious and not so obvious!
DJ72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

This is an excellent topic! It should be in the general support area, because you don't have to be on IP to feel the wallet pain of new clothes and the like !!!
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/156/150

Height: 5'8"

I totally agree. I was literally sitting in doctor's offices getting liposuction quotes because I am so sick of my outside not matching up with my inside!

After trying everything to lose weight for the last 7 years, I just happened to run into a friend who had lost weight on IP. I looked it up, and decided to give it a try as a last shot alternative to a $5000+ medical procedure.

THANK GOODNESS I DID!!! I finally feel like I am in control of my weight for the first time in my life - a life full of (probably like all of us) ups and downs and diets and super-active gym dedications and dropouts.

Its so worth it, and especially as we get older and we don't have to be in the dangerous obesity brackets.

Here's my trick for clothing:
Ebay.

In your search, look for people like you who have dropped a lot of weight. Right now, I am accumulating in my closet all of the really nice clothes I have that are getting too big for me. I will box them up and sell them at bulk on ebay...it's win - win for everyone. You get someone's used and very nice but now too big wardrobe at a fraction of the cost, and they get a little spending money toward their new wardrobe.

Have a great day!
dana135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 296/259/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post

I think you are so right spiritman! I think when people start to think the program is too expensive they need to refer to your post! Eating unhealthy is expensive. Finding a program such as this that works quickly in comparison to others, feeling better in body and SOUL is PRICELESS!
DreamingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote