3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   iP experts-Did I knock myself out of ketosis? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/280841-ip-experts-did-i-knock-myself-out-ketosis.html)

twolabs 05-02-2013 06:51 AM

iP experts-Did I knock myself out of ketosis?

I had weigh in Tues at 153.8 (.8 loss but got period that night so made sense)
Weighed myself tues morning 152.8
Yesterday I ate-
iP eggs with 1/2 c spinach
Entire head of cauliflower (yes- no measuring)
Lettuce 1/2 c onion 1/2 cucumber (homemade oil, lemon juice dressing)
iP protein bar
3 eggs
2 ounce chicken seasoned
McDonald's coffee with sugar free vanilla and 3 Splenda packets

Today weigh 156!!!!

I clearly overrate veggies. Was beyond hungry and obviously did not stay on plan. I own that. Otherwise it was a pretty normal day- although I wonder if syrup in coffee wasn't sugar free.

How can I tell if I'm not in ketosis?

Thanks all my IP experts!

IP43 05-02-2013 07:26 AM

I don't think what you ate would have knocked you out, unless, as you say syrup affected you. Remember, a lot of the artificial sweeteners still affect your body the same way sugar does. That's why people will say stick to splenda if you can. Here is a link to some info http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm

You'll know if you're out of ketosis because usually you'll feel hungrier, have more cravings etc. Either way, just get back on track and as people have said lots, try not to weigh every day (esp at TOM) as fluctuations on the scale may cause you more stress, which doesn't help the numbers go down

ragdoll74 05-02-2013 07:48 AM

In order to gain 3 lbs of fat, you would have had to have eaten over 10,000 calories more than your resting motabolism. Doesn't look like you did that.

TOM can cause you to retain more water. Take a deep breathe and relax. Like IP43 said, stay off the scale.

marlenesuer 05-02-2013 09:15 AM

Why are you weighing yourself so much?

Really, really, think about that question. You will drive yourself mad by hopping on the scale so often.

Just follow the plan and weigh in 1 time per week. Try best not to obsess over the # of pounds you're losing per week because some weeks you will lose, some you wont, some you'll gain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolabs (Post 4727303)
Yesterday I ate-
iP protein bar
3 eggs
2 ounce chicken seasoned

Today weigh 156!!!!

I clearly overrate veggies. Was beyond hungry and obviously did not stay on plan. I own that. Otherwise it was a pretty normal day- although I wonder if syrup in coffee wasn't sugar free.

Thanks all my IP experts!

ferrousgal 05-02-2013 10:58 AM

I don't see anything there to overwhelmingly suggest that you did. It's easy to fluctuate a few pounds up or down. You might not have gotten enough sleep the past few days (my personal biggest culprit all the time) or you haven't been as regular as you should or you just needed more water to counteract the coffee caffeine. Who knows. I'm sure you'll be back down again within a couple days.

lisa32989 05-02-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolabs (Post 4727303)
Yesterday I ate-
iP protein bar
3 eggs
2 ounce chicken seasoned
Today weigh 156!!!!

A whole head of cauliflower is probably about 4 c, give or take. Added to the spinach, onion, and the cucumber, not enough alone to "knock you out of ketosis"

Personally I think people worry wayyy too much about being "knocked out of ketosis". A much better approach is to learn exactly what is on the P1 sheet and stick to it religiously.

I'm going to echo what others have said: Stay off the scale between weekly WIs. I did for the first 5-6 months. Now I weigh more often but I'm trying to learn trends, which can help my sanity in maintenance. My weight can jump around 2-3 lbs throughout the week, depending on what I've eaten and how much fluid I'm holding onto. In addition, elimination has a huge influence on the scale. If I'm backed up, I won't be weighing.

I don't get sugar-free syrup in items I order unless I can watch them put it in (so I'm sure it is sugar-free).

In addition to too many veggies yesterday, it looks like you only had 2 IP packets. Watch the plan! We don't get so hungry if we make sure we have spare packets with us so we can mix them up if needed.

marlenesuer 05-02-2013 11:21 AM

So well said Lisa.

People make this way WAY more complicated than it needs to be. Why that is, I don't know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4727543)

Personally I think people worry wayyy too much about being "knocked out of ketosis". A much better approach is to learn exactly what is on the P1 sheet and stick to it religiously.

crazynette826 05-02-2013 11:49 AM

I understand. I'm a daily weigher too, but I realize there's going to be fluctuations from day to day. You can not gain 3 pounds of fat in one day! Relax and chill out. Try not to get too wrapped up in the numbers. There's a lot of apps that let you graph your weight each day. This helps me since I'm a very visual person. As long as the general trend is down, you're doing awesome. That being said, if the daily fluctuations stress you out that bad, stay off the scale. Stress can make you gain weight.

JohnP 05-02-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa32989 (Post 4727543)

It had to happen someday. Today is that day. I 100% agree with you. :D

To the OP - whether you want to weigh yourself every day or not is up to you but if you educate yourself about how fat loss/gain works and how it is not the same thing as weight loss/gain then you'll be far better off. A google search should probably lead you to many articles on the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

Ketosis has nothing to do with fat loss or water loss. It is simply a term for when your body has a high concentration of ketones circulating because your body is using a lot of fat for energy. If you eat enough though, you can gain fat and never leave ketosis. When there is excess energy your body will store it.

lisa32989 05-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4727654)
It had to happen someday. Today is that day. I 100% agree with you. :D

LOL
Uh Oh. Have you come over to the "dark side"? :rofl:

I have experience on Atkins of not losing and being in ketosis (or losing way slower than on IP).

To the OP: Stick with the sheet. Learn it, follow it. The plan works!

ferrousgal 05-02-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazynette826 (Post 4727638)
I understand. I'm a daily weigher too, but I realize there's going to be fluctuations from day to day. You can not gain 3 pounds of fat in one day! Relax and chill out. Try not to get too wrapped up in the numbers. There's a lot of apps that let you graph your weight each day. This helps me since I'm a very visual person. As long as the general trend is down, you're doing awesome. That being said, if the daily fluctuations stress you out that bad, stay off the scale. Stress can make you gain weight.

I'm a daily weigher too, like multiple times a day. And I attribute that to making it so in my time off between working the diet, I haven't just gained it all back and only gained back 10 out of 35. If I had the attitude of only weighing once a week, it'd be harder to spot the trends and spend a few days cutting back here and there (which, if memory serves, Dr. Tran recommends people weighing themselves regularly in maintenance so they can nip any weight gain trend in the bud. Everyone is different, of course, and for many people, seeing the daily fluctuations can drive them nuts and not able to see the larger picture, but I do want to say that I firmly disagree with the notion many have stated that it's bad to weigh daily while in P1. I gained 80 lbs across 9 years largely by having the attitude of NOT weighing myself regularly and NOT getting alarmed seeing the gaining trends.

leannekarella 05-02-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP (Post 4727654)

To the OP - whether you want to weigh yourself every day or not is up to you but if you educate yourself about how fat loss/gain works and how it is not the same thing as weight loss/gain then you'll be far better off. A google search should probably lead you to many articles on the difference between fat loss and weight loss.

Ketosis has nothing to do with fat loss or water loss. It is simply a term for when your body has a high concentration of ketones circulating because your body is using a lot of fat for energy. If you eat enough though, you can gain fat and never leave ketosis. When there is excess energy your body will store it.

Agree with this 100%. I've done Atkins and maintained ketosis and not lost weight because of amount of calories consumed.