Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 284/277/135

Height: 5'8"

Default IP Bread?

Does anyone know if something like this would be approved? It's bread called Net Carb 0 http://www.julianbakery.com/bread-pr...bzero-regular/
momof2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #2  

Simple answer. Look at the phase 1 sheet.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Right - if it's not on the sheet and isn't 0/0/0 then it's not IP compatible.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 284/277/135

Height: 5'8"

Thanks guys, I am craving bread fierce!
momof2u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #5  
Started IP 01/01/13

S/C/G: H-247/S-187.2/ C-137.2/G-125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
Some things are too good to be true.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb-b...bites-the-dust
I'm not disputing that this product isn't IP compliant. But this is the same marketing used by and labeling found on Quest Bars. So if this product's claims are untrue regarding net carbs, aren't those of manufacturers of Quest Bars also? Is it possible that the Quest Bars also cause blood sugar spikes? I know people have been using them like crazy and don't seem to be experiencing any weight loss issues. I just found out all the soy protein I've been using has wreaked havoc with my thyroid and because I'm using alternatives and the buy 3 get 1 free sale at GNC is over Thursday, I majorly stocked up on Quest Bars today. Will someone else who uses Quest Bars read this article and tell me what you think?
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #6  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I have never used this bread but someone posted this link -- you'll see the guy uses the Julian bread to scrub walls, toilets etc. then just wrings it out like a sponge and it's in perfect shape - never crumbles! So I think that makes it a definite NO -- there's no carbs because it isn't food. This video is worth a look. You won't believe what people are eating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDfF4hXfj4
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #7  

About 3/4 of the way down on this page. This solves it for me, I make them every weekend and throw homemade sausage with veggie cheese on them.

IP Potato Rolls
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
I'm not disputing that this product isn't IP compliant. But this is the same marketing used by and labeling found on Quest Bars. So if this product's claims are untrue regarding net carbs, aren't those of manufacturers of Quest Bars also? Is it possible that the Quest Bars also cause blood sugar spikes? I know people have been using them like crazy and don't seem to be experiencing any weight loss issues. I just found out all the soy protein I've been using has wreaked havoc with my thyroid and because I'm using alternatives and the buy 3 get 1 free sale at GNC is over Thursday, I majorly stocked up on Quest Bars today. Will someone else who uses Quest Bars read this article and tell me what you think?
Rare bird; I had to cut soy for the same reason ( and gluten!) There is a thyroid thread

Simple answer again: bars are allowed on IP, bread isn't. The bread wouldn't count as a protein (as some of the packet-hack flatbread and rolls do AND Quest Bars do) and it is not 0/0/0 because it contains fat so isn't a P1 compliant addition.

Comparing the bread to quest bars is apples to oranges

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-24-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #9  
Started IP 01/01/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Rare bird; I had to cut soy for the same reason ( and gluten!) There is a thyroid thread

Simple answer again: bars are allowed on IP, bread isn't. The bread wouldn't count as a protein (as some of the packet-hack flatbread and rolls do AND Quest Bars do) and it is not 0/0/0 because it contains fat so isn't a P1 compliant addition.

Comparing the bread to quest bars is apples to oranges
Thanks for the reply Lisa... I'll definitely read the thyroid thread and I'm regrouping. I know you've been successful in continuing your loss even after the thyroid smack. Are your blood work numbers getting back to normal?

My question wasn't the one you answered actually answered though. The article posted, if I understand it correctly, says that subtracting fiber from carbs to reach net carbs is rubbish. That higher carbs still cause blood sugar spikes even though they are fiber based carbs, and this is just a marketing based ploys by companies to promote their product to low-carbers. This is the concern I had, and wanted to know if any of the scientists here think this claim is valid.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #10  
Starting again 06.04.2014

S/C/G: 210/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

Here's a "bread" recipe a friend shared with me.
He's lost 100+ on IP. I have yet to try the bread, but he swears it's great.

--------------------------------------------------
"Faux-caccia" Bread

IDEAL PROTEIN FAUX CACCIA BREAD STICKS. SO EASY!!

Blend 1 package Ideal Protein Tomato Basil soup, 1 t olive oil, 2 egg whites, 1/4 t baking powder, Italian
seasoning, oregano, basil.

Roll out onto a pan flat and season with sea salt and garlic salt.

Cook for 10 minutes on each side at 350.

-----------------------------------------------
His notes:

It tastes just like tomato focaccia. Makes a great open faced sandwich. Very tasty and a nice bread
substitute. It could be done with many of the Ideal Protein soup mixes. Enjoy!

Also, I’ve never been able to get this dough to “roll out”. I usually just add slightly more egg whites to make a thick batter
that I spread on a non-stick skillet and place in the oven. If you spread it thin, it will bake to a cracker like consistency.
GetYa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #11  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Thanks for the reply Lisa... I'll definitely read the thyroid thread and I'm regrouping. I know you've been successful in continuing your loss even after the thyroid smack. Are your blood work numbers getting back to normal?

My question wasn't the one you answered actually answered though. The article posted, if I understand it correctly, says that subtracting fiber from carbs to reach net carbs is rubbish. That higher carbs still cause blood sugar spikes even though they are fiber based carbs, and this is just a marketing based ploys by companies to promote their product to low-carbers. This is the concern I had, and wanted to know if any of the scientists here think this claim is valid.
Carbs, whether they come from sugar or fiber, are going to cause SOME kind of insulin reaction. Diabetics do not use Net carbs to calculate their insulin dosing, they use total carbs.

The difference is that simple sugars and starches cause a FAST insulin reaction while fiber causes a very slow, controlled reaction. Fast acting carbs are the reason we experience "sugar crash" or "carb crash" after eating them - insulin spikes up high to deal with the sudden flood to our system, which causes a sudden drop in blood glucose levels and hypoglycemic symptoms. THAT makes you hungry, fatigued, dizzy, irritable...all things that can lead you to eat MORE.

Fiber is slow-acting, and does not cause the dramatic insulin spike that fast acting carbs do. Your body doesn't have to "flood" your system to deal with a sudden onslaught of sugar.

I would however say that sugar alcohols are used by the food industry to market "low carb" foods that really aren't preventing that insulin spike after all. Many sugar alcohols have an effect on blood sugar levels very similar to fast acting carbs. Even the American Diabetes Association suggests that those following an advanced insulin protocol only subtract HALF the sugar alcohols from total carbs.

Quest bars reduce carbs primarily by using a plant fiber (Oligosaccharides), not sugar alcohols. I have never subtracted sugar alcohols from total carbs because of the similarities to fast carbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligosaccharide

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...efine-net.html

http://women.webmd.com/features/net-carb-debate
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #12  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYa1 View Post
Here's a "bread" recipe a friend shared with me.
He's lost 100+ on IP. I have yet to try the bread, but he swears it's great.

--------------------------------------------------
"Faux-caccia" Bread

IDEAL PROTEIN FAUX CACCIA BREAD STICKS. SO EASY!!

Blend 1 package Ideal Protein Tomato Basil soup, 1 t olive oil, 2 egg whites, 1/4 t baking powder, Italian
seasoning, oregano, basil.

Roll out onto a pan flat and season with sea salt and garlic salt.

Cook for 10 minutes on each side at 350.

-----------------------------------------------
His notes:

It tastes just like tomato focaccia. Makes a great open faced sandwich. Very tasty and a nice bread
substitute. It could be done with many of the Ideal Protein soup mixes. Enjoy!

Also, I’ve never been able to get this dough to “roll out”. I usually just add slightly more egg whites to make a thick batter
that I spread on a non-stick skillet and place in the oven. If you spread it thin, it will bake to a cracker like consistency.
I so miss bread and crackers. I may have to try this. Thanks for sharing!!
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #13  
Started IP 01/01/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
Carbs, whether they come from sugar or fiber, are going to cause SOME kind of insulin reaction. Diabetics do not use Net carbs to calculate their insulin dosing, they use total carbs.

The difference is that simple sugars and starches cause a FAST insulin reaction while fiber causes a very slow, controlled reaction. Fast acting carbs are the reason we experience "sugar crash" or "carb crash" after eating them - insulin spikes up high to deal with the sudden flood to our system, which causes a sudden drop in blood glucose levels and hypoglycemic symptoms. THAT makes you hungry, fatigued, dizzy, irritable...all things that can lead you to eat MORE.

Fiber is slow-acting, and does not cause the dramatic insulin spike that fast acting carbs do. Your body doesn't have to "flood" your system to deal with a sudden onslaught of sugar.

I would however say that sugar alcohols are used by the food industry to market "low carb" foods that really aren't preventing that insulin spike after all. Many sugar alcohols have an effect on blood sugar levels very similar to fast acting carbs. Even the American Diabetes Association suggests that those following an advanced insulin protocol only subtract HALF the sugar alcohols from total carbs.

Quest bars reduce carbs primarily by using a plant fiber (Oligosaccharides), not sugar alcohols. I have never subtracted sugar alcohols from total carbs because of the similarities to fast carbs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligosaccharide

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-...efine-net.html

http://women.webmd.com/features/net-carb-debate
Wow, Scorbett, I wish I had the aptitude to figure all this out and process it the way you do. Thanks for that explanation. I bet all the kids wanted to sit next to you in school!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #14  
Starting again 06.04.2014

S/C/G: 210/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

animallover -

The other thing you may want to try are Rutabaga "fries." I was reluctant to try them; however, I'm addicted now. Just peel, slice them into french fry size pieces and toss with whatever you'd like. Salt, pepper, a little olive oil, cayenne, etc. Then place in the oven (425 degrees) for 35-45 mins. They are divine (I use sugar-free ketchup, but I know WF has a ketchup, too) and I realized it replaced my need for "starchy" type foods.
GetYa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #15  

Rainbow has flatbread, breadsticks, and a new cracker "packet-hack" recipes in her recipes from the rainbow threads. I posted my muffin/potato roll recipe in recipes #4

Last edited by lisa32989; 04-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.