3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Thyroid

Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
IP start 7/30/2012

S/C/G: 260.2/165/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolo70 View Post
@Lisa: Totally agree. My health and weight started improving once I chased all my doctors into the desert and started educating myself. I also like packaged foods because I do not want to spend hours chopping veggies.
Love this!
I actually DO spend a lot of time chopping veggies but in the long-run, more veggies is the way I'll be eating ongoing so it's a good habit
I've streamlined it so I can make batches at once.

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
IP Start 2/5/13

S/C/G: 315/ip292/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 5in

not sure how to place quotes in my post, but for the poster that said: I would not want to risk auto immune disease, what does that mean as far as this diet is concerned?

I have never really researched low carb diets and thyroid function. I think I will do that, and maybe I need to let the medical assistant inform my doctor of the diet I am on. My gut feeling is that she is traditionalistic, all 4 food groups, balanced diet only kind of doctor, and I wanted to let my success on this diet speak for itself, before she knew what I am doing! She should certainly know all other diets have failed me. Anyway, in my case, since my dosage is coming down so drastically, isn't that a good thing? But I am a little worried now.

I mentioned to my coach about my thyroid not being well regulated at the moment and how my dosage has been decreased. (Actually, this trend was already in motion a couple of months or so BEFORE I started IP) She said something, I am probably not going to quote her very well since this was awhile ago, something about storage of hormones in fat cells, so now I have more circulating thyroid? Or something like that.

At any rate, I just have to be healthier than I was before. I feel great. I can do whatever I want and still have energy to spare, whereas before just the thought of getting off the couch exhausted me. I have been so overweight for so long, my current condition just has to be better than before. And I am getting to that age where medical stuff is more likely to happen, with or without an extra 150 pounds!! Without 150 pounds has to be better! (At minus 65 and still counting)
brelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/133/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brelo View Post
At any rate, I just have to be healthier than I was before. I feel great. I can do whatever I want and still have energy to spare, whereas before just the thought of getting off the couch exhausted me. I have been so overweight for so long, my current condition just has to be better than before. And I am getting to that age where medical stuff is more likely to happen, with or without an extra 150 pounds!! Without 150 pounds has to be better! (At minus 65 and still counting)
These are my feelings exactly. I know when I feel good and when something is off. I feel better than I have in years, both physically and emotionally. There are always risks and "downsides," but I have decided to take a bit of a leap of faith with this plan and work on getting my weight under control. Once I do that, I will see where I stand with anything else.

I can tell you this, I haven't needed to use my asthma inhaler since I began and each cycle, the pain from my ovarian cyst lessens. I sleep better than ever and don't have to get the absolute closest parking space wherever I go.

Lisa, I fear my doctor will give me flack about the rapidity of weight loss. I told him that WW or SB yield me a pound a week for a while and then stop working. He told me that it wouldn't stop working if I stuck to it (wanted to smack him) and then told me that no more than a pound to a pound and a half a week is healthy. I told him that at that rate, I have to stay on the diet -- and be perfect on it -- for 2 years just to get to goal weight, that there has to be something better. Then I got a condescending look and the old, "You didn't put it on overnight, it won't come off overnight." Some people, including doctors, just don't understand. As you said, I hope the weight loss will speak for itself and that he will at least consider looking into it for his own knowledge.

WI1: -10.5 WI2: -1.5 WI3: -2 WI4: -2.5 WI5: -3 WI6: -2 WI7: -4 WI8: -4 WI9: +0.5 WI10: - 2.5 WI11: -3 WI12: -3.5 WI13: -1.5 WI14: -5 WI15: 0 WI16: -3 WI17: -4 WI18: -0.5 WI19: -2.5 WI20: -2 WI21: -1.5 WI22: -0.5 WI23: -5 WI24: -0 WI25: -2 WI26: -3.5 WI27: -1.5 WI28: -1 WI29 -0 WI30: -4.5 WI31: -0.5 WI32: -4 WI33: -1.5 WI34: -1.5 WI35: -1 WI36: +2 WI37: -5
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #19
IP Start 2/5/13

SylviesGirl, I really have to agree with you. I am a little afraid of how my doctor would react. Every year she recommends WW (I am absolutely not down on them, but just saying it didn't work for ME) For me, it almost feels like it would be demoralizing to sign up again becuase it would be for the 20th plus time. The last time I went, I followed the program exactly, weighed and measured everything, and had no BLT's (bites, licks, and tastes!) After a 10 pound loss, and following exactly, I plateaued for more than 2 months. So I gave up in discouragement. Now I am following a plan where I have lost an average of 4 pounds a week, and have felt more optimistic than I have in years, I feel fab, and I don't know what I would do if she put the kabosh on it. I guess I would find another doctor that supported this way of eating, because it clearly is working and is something I want to embrace for a lifetime.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
IP start 7/30/2012

Quote:
I have never really researched low carb diets and thyroid function. I think I will do that, and maybe I need to let the medical assistant inform my doctor of the diet I am on. My gut feeling is that she is traditionalistic, all 4 food groups, balanced diet only kind of doctor, and I wanted to let my success on this diet speak for itself, before she knew what I am doing! She should certainly know all other diets have failed me. Anyway, in my case, since my dosage is coming down so drastically, isn't that a good thing? But I am a little worried now.

I mentioned to my coach about my thyroid not being well regulated at the moment and how my dosage has been decreased. (Actually, this trend was already in motion a couple of months or so BEFORE I started IP) She said something, I am probably not going to quote her very well since this was awhile ago, something about storage of hormones in fat cells, so now I have more circulating thyroid? Or something like that.

If you research effect in thyroid, don't forget to research OBESITY effect on thyroid! Being knowledgeable on all sides of an issue is important!

Lots of research that low carb diets can be hard in thyroid but P1 is temporary. Obesity causes its own set of problems!

I KNOW I'm healthier than I was. I'm reversing many problems. Others can wait until I'm finished with P1

Old 04-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #21

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

brelo

It is just if you start making changes in your diet and your TSH changes that dramatically, I would check it out. The problem with some of the packaged diets is that they contain a lot of soy, which can affect thyroid function. Same thing applies to gluten. So, you do not want to further enhance thyroid problems through your diet. If you already are positive for autoantibodies, you have to be very careful about soy and gluten as they often act as triggers. It does not mean that a low carb/low calorie diet automatically causes hormonal changes. It may just exacerbate changes in some individuals who have existing hormonal imbalances.

This gives some info on soy and thyroid. A lot is still quite controversial.
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm
Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #22
IP start 7/30/2012

I posted a list in another thread of soy/gluten-free IP products

Can't find it but hers a good thread Soy free/ low soy stuff?

Last edited by lisa32989 : 04-18-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #23
IP Start 2/5/13

Thank you for the replies Lisa and Lolo! I hadn't thought about researching
obesity and thyroid function. That would be good to look at, too. I just have have have to be healthier than before, even if thyroid is potentially compromised. I will definitely see about which products have soy or gluten in them, hopefully not my favorites! Thanks again
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
IP start 7/30/2012

Quote:
Thank you for the replies Lisa and Lolo! I hadn't thought about researching
obesity and thyroid function. That would be good to look at, too. I just have have have to be healthier than before, even if thyroid is potentially compromised. I will definitely see about which products have soy or gluten in them, hopefully not my favorites! Thanks again
Oh it was many of my favorites. I had quite the hissy fit back in January but I got past it and have continued to move forward.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #25
IP Start 2/5/13

I checked out the list, thanks for doing that research.

My one true hissy fit is the crispy rice cereal. I love that stuff. I ordered a couple of extra boxes ahead this week because she ran out once!

Other than that, I feel fine about shying away from the sweet snacky packages: peanut puffs, etc and the bars. One bar always wants to lead to another bar, so now I have a true excuse to not be tempted to go down that path. The bars are going.

Hopefully the cereal is not that bad?
Old 02-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #26

Default Hashimotos Issues

Hi,

I have been on IP for nearly 3 weeks and have lost a total of 12 lbs. I was happy with the results till i started noticing that I am getting extremely dry skin, dry lips and cold body temperatures - mostly in the ranges of 97 f. Did anyone else experience this ?

I then read up and chanced upon Matt Stone's research and read his book ( Eat for Heat) - almost all the research points to the fact that the low carb diet and drinking too much water suppresses the metabolism and kicks in the sympathetic nervous system in people with a compromised metabolism. This will further affect metabolism in the long run even though in the short term you may lose weight but this will be short lived.
I then looked up the ingredients of the IP foods and most contain soy components although I am ahppy to give them up and continue with the soy free list provided here.

I am extremely confused at this point - I totally DO NOT want to give up on the diet - because of the results that i was getting but I also do not want to shiver and be cold all day and sleep with like 2 blankets at night with heating !

I am wondering if we can add coconut oil ( since this is thyroid friendly) and whole milk to the diet and as these are warming foods and some vegetables like butternut squash. I am also using cinnamon and clove powder in my tea to help me with some heat in the body.I noticed in a youtube video - one lady who had lost tremendous weight on IP using Nutiva's coconut oil for cooking.

I can go to my doctor but I am fearing that they will not be supportive and shoot my diet down - i was hoping to get some insight here.

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks.
mahajar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #27

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

IP, probably like other very low carb diets, will affect the conversion of T4 to T3 thyroid hormone in the liver since the enzyme that mediates this conversion is regulated by carbohydrate levels. This is essentially a stress response of your body to starvation. This should be a temporary event (3-6 weeks), but in some people T3 levels stay low or they see an increase in the levels of reverse T3 (an inhibitor of the thyroid receptor). This is known as low T3 syndrome. Alternatively, your thyroid health may be affected by the soy products (and broccoli/kale/cauliflower if that is a main part of your diet). Thyroid hormones (and leptin, which is also affected) basically regulate your body's metabolism and crosstalk with other key hormones. If in doubt, you should see your doctor in regular intervals and do a complete thyroid panel incl. free T3, reverse T3, and antibodies. This will tell you whether you are just adjusting to the low cal/low carb diet or whether something more seriously is going on. Just ignoring it may permanently damage your metabolism.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:04 PM   #28

Thanks a lot Lolo70. Yes you are right - I will get my blood work done again and see where I stand. But in the meanwhile - it will be safe to stick to the diet right ? I just don't want to throw away all the effort especially since it was showing the result.
Btw I also have PCOS and I am wondering if that is also contributing to some of these factors ?
Also, does anyone here have any idea about tweaking the diet for special Hashimotos concerns - eg. adding coconut oil instead of grapeseed ?

Last edited by mahajar : 02-06-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #29
IP start 7/30/2012

Mahajar
Have you been diagnosed with hashimotos? It is an autoimmune disease.
Different from hypothyroid

Old 02-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #30

Hi lisa32989

Yes I have been diagnosed with Hashimotos 3 years ago in 2011. I believe it is the same as hypothyroidism except that this is auto immune. The doctor told me that they are largely the same.
I was prescribed Levothyroxine 50mcg which I take in the mornings on an empty stomach.

Thanks

Last edited by mahajar : 02-06-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.