IP Daily Chat Friday 4/12/2013

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Quote: I really wish we had a like button on here. You are doing so great on IP and I love your attitude.
    Thanks, ragdoll74. Being complimented on my attitude means a great deal to me and is quite a nsv. Before this diet, I was becoming a very negative and defeatist person.
  • Quote: Morning, All --

All I know is, P1 is working so well for me, I'd be willing to stay on it the rest of my life if I had to. Easter was hard, and I passed on a ballgame the other day, but I am in the midst of clearing out my whole closet, throwing away the "tents," and am liking how I look in a few things. That hasn't happened in a decade or more. No food, imo, is worth the trade-off.

I went shopping yesterday. I have moved into XL's which, for my former plus-sized body, is very welcomed. I started in the plus sizes and quickly realized that they will all be too big, either today or next month. I looked yonder, to the "misses" department. I walked over and sort of skirted the area. Didn't quite have the nerve to go all the way in, LOL. Isn't that crazy? In some ways, I just can't get my mind around this yet. (So I went to my favorite thrift shop where the sizes are mostly mixed together and found some nice things. Whatever works.)

Why didn't I find this diet sooner?? I shudder to think about not having sat where I sat in my son's orthodontist office and not over-hearing the conversation that I overheard, and not having the nerve to ask what diet they were talking about . . . what a life-changing moment.

For those struggling, stick with it at all costs. It will work, and it is worth it.
    THIS.THIS.THIS!!!
    I've been OP since the beginning of August and have been through MANY times that would have been difficult, had I let them be difficult. Instead, I chose to make a plan and stick to it.
    I've encountered some obstacles (health-wise) along the way that slowed my losses a tad but I've stayed OP. What would another option be? Stay this weight, skirting the line between obese and overweight? That is NOT my goal.

I've decided my goals are more important than temporary indulgences. Yes, summer is coming and I was hoping to be at goal by July 4. Realistically, probly not gonna happen. In my head, I've played with the idea of moving to P2 for July. NOPE. Not gonna happen. That prolongs the time before I eventually get to the goal where I want to be. I chose the goal and have decided that nothing is getting in my way.

Others have made other choices. I have seen a handful of people phase off & come back to P1 with no difficulty & get to goal. I mean a handful. I've decided I'm worth meeting my goals FIRST. But everyone is different. If another person feels they can go off & on with ease, I certainly won't try to stop them. That way just isn't the way for me. I've come too far to stop now (or even take a break). Goals first! At this point, no food or beverage is worth creating a roadblock or detour for the finish line.

I'm living without those things and can continue to do so to meet my goals.

SylviesGirl: I had some of those same feelings in the "regular-sized" clothing section. Feeling like I didn't belong. But if I was going to find clothes that fit, that is where I needed to shop. I really felt like I wanted to cry. It felt so unusual I just didn't know what to do with all of those feelings (plus I had no idea what sizes to grab!)

I knew about IP EIGHT MONTHS before my stubborn-self started it. Occasionally I start to kick myself for not starting sooner (I didn't like all the soy & artificial sweeteners - still don't). I quickly change the thought pattern to how well it works and how much has changed. Can't dwell on the past...only move forward! You are accomplishing great things! We WILL get to goal!

Quote: Has anyone ordered from plainprotein.com in the last few days? I need to order some supplements, but the website hasn't been working since I tried last night. Just wondering how long it's been down.
    I have a friend who works for a web hosting company
    wordpress got hacked.
    It is a common software for creating websites.
    Not sure if that is the problem with plainprotein or not
    Could affect a variety of websites until corrected, however.
  • Sylviesgirl, I agree with rag doll about your progress and attitude. Way to go. I know what it feels like to be fat, not have the energy, and the feeling of worthlessness because of how I look. I applaud your courage and everyone else's courage to start this diet and to stick with it because that is what it is Courage. How many times have we tried something and it failed? Too many to count. Every time I get on here, I see another story that inspires me; another post that makes me laugh; or a NSV that makes me cry for the joy I feel for that individual's success. Everyone have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.
  • Ok I'm using off label brands(not ideal protein). I just got a shipment in from protidiet and wondering how they compare to ideal protein stuff. Vanilla shake 100 calories 8 g carb, 15g protein. Chocolate shake 110 calories, 10g carb, 15g protein. Then apple cinnamon oatmeal is 90 calories, 6g carbs, 15g protein. Is the oatmeal an unrestricted item? I would think so cause it's less than the shakes. Than I know the bars I got would be restricted. I love the jello from ideal protein. I have been doing plan egg whites with mushrooms for breakfast so far. The egg whites have no carbs so I think I'm ok if I stick with egg whites breakfast, 1 restricted item and 1 unrestricted item a day, i'll be ok.
    I did ideal protein 2 years ago and maintained the weight I lost but never got to my goal. So I would just stick to the plan because it took me a long time to return to finish my goal. Once you go off it is soooo soooo hard to return. You are close to your goal so if it were me, I would stay on it.
  • Last night was another bad/hungry night for me. My counselor told me I would have a rought week since my body is used to very high starch/fat foods. My "detox" is so bad that I'm starving but don't want meat or veggies, just want starch! But again, I PUSHED THROUGH IT!!! whew. Can't wait til I'm thru the first week!

I'm patiently waiting on my WF syrup to arrive. But even if it doesn't I'm going to have the Crispy Cereal Pancakes today haha -- can't wait!!

I've also found some recipes for "muffins" and "bread" using IP packets which excites me cause I hope to satisfy my love of bread cravings!
  • Quote: Sylviesgirl, I agree with rag doll about your progress and attitude. Way to go. I know what it feels like to be fat, not have the energy, and the feeling of worthlessness because of how I look. I applaud your courage and everyone else's courage to start this diet and to stick with it because that is what it is Courage. How many times have we tried something and it failed? Too many to count. Every time I get on here, I see another story that inspires me; another post that makes me laugh; or a NSV that makes me cry for the joy I feel for that individual's success. Everyone have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.
    Thanks, randygirl, for your kind words. The feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness . . . ain't it the truth. This diet has saved me from spending the rest of my life fat and depressed. I was beginning to honestly believe I was just made this way and there was nothing I could do about it. My new year's resolution was to deal with this weight issue once and for all, one way or another: either lose the weight (which, at that time, I thought was most likely impossible) or make peace with the idea of being fat the rest of my life and deal with it. Thank God I found this diet. It fits my body and my personality perfectly, finally. (I used to feel like such a failure at WW, listening to everyone's successes and sitting there week after week, eating the least allowed on the plan, never cheating, and never losing. That was what convinced me that there was something wrong with me and that I was just meant to be heavy.)

It really does take courage to start this -- or any other plan, really. Most of us have tried and failed so many times before. I was truly too tired to get my heart broken again by another failure. I was almost to the point of just not having the strength to try anymore.

I'm with you on this group. The posts on here (except for the scary hair loss ones, LOL) are like gasoline in my tank . . . I come here to fill up, give back what I can, and motor on! Have a great day.
  • Quote: Last night was another bad/hungry night for me. My counselor told me I would have a rought week since my body is used to very high starch/fat foods. My "detox" is so bad that I'm starving but don't want meat or veggies, just want starch! But again, I PUSHED THROUGH IT!!! whew. Can't wait til I'm thru the first week!
    !
    Must have been something in the air last night, lol! It was awful for me, too! My husband and daughters were sitting at the table eating their dinner and I was eating mine..... I just kept staring at their food actually saying to myself, oops you're gonna do it aren't you!?

Sheesh, it was rough. But the more bites I had of my delicious chicken curry soup, the easier it got. Phew, that was close!

You'll get through it! My cravings really don't happen anymore and I'm only 47 days in. I think last night had something to do with TOM which is next week.
  • Quote: Ok I'm using off label brands(not ideal protein). I just got a shipment in from protidiet and wondering how they compare to ideal protein stuff. Vanilla shake 100 calories 8 g carb, 15g protein. Chocolate shake 110 calories, 10g carb, 15g protein. Then apple cinnamon oatmeal is 90 calories, 6g carbs, 15g protein. Is the oatmeal an unrestricted item? I would think so cause it's less than the shakes. Than I know the bars I got would be restricted. I love the jello from ideal protein. I have been doing plan egg whites with mushrooms for breakfast so far. The egg whites have no carbs so I think I'm ok if I stick with egg whites breakfast, 1 restricted item and 1 unrestricted item a day, i'll be ok.
    I did ideal protein 2 years ago and maintained the weight I lost but never got to my goal. So I would just stick to the plan because it took me a long time to return to finish my goal. Once you go off it is soooo soooo hard to return. You are close to your goal so if it were me, I would stay on it.
    If it's 9 or more net carbs or if the fat calories are over 30% of total calories , it is a restricted item. Subtract the fiber from total carbs to get the net carbs.
  • Quote: Ok I'm using off label brands(not ideal protein). I just got a shipment in from protidiet and wondering how they compare to ideal protein stuff. Vanilla shake 100 calories 8 g carb, 15g protein. Chocolate shake 110 calories, 10g carb, 15g protein. Then apple cinnamon oatmeal is 90 calories, 6g carbs, 15g protein. Is the oatmeal an unrestricted item? I would think so cause it's less than the shakes. Than I know the bars I got would be restricted. I love the jello from ideal protein. I have been doing plan egg whites with mushrooms for breakfast so far. The egg whites have no carbs so I think I'm ok if I stick with egg whites breakfast, 1 restricted item and 1 unrestricted item a day, i'll be ok.
    Answers to all of these questions is in the alternative threads. It is a long, informative read.
    Protidiet is comparable.
    Protidiet oatmeal IS unrestricted

And yes, I've heard over & over again how hard it is to get back on, which is why I've chosen not to take any breaks. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Thank you lisa32989. I will have to look at that thread too.
    My next challenge is tonight when I work night shift. I'm up all day with kids and than work all night. I'll get home at 7 am. Then my daughters party sat at 3 pm. I'm trying to plan because when I work nights you do get hungry so you eat a meal when you normally wouldn't. I am saving a restricted item for cake time. I think I'll have one of my yummy ( hopefully) new bars. So we'll see... Wish me luck for the next 2 days to stay OP!
  • Happy Friday everybody. Great to hear such positive attitudes and so much support and encouragement. I phases off for a holiday and have been right back on the plan since I came home. Took three days to get back into ketosis and replayed headaches for those days. But I knew that could be the case. I am very stubborn, according to people who know me, and so I knew I would return to P1 no excuses. I have quit smoking in the past and walked away from a bad marriage, so this is nothing. Lol. I have about 15 lbs left to go and will not stop until it is all gone. My Mom is the queen if yoyo dieting and I know that AFTER the weight is gone that is my real challenge to maintain. It is a way of life... Not a diet! I am more afraid of becoming heavy again than I am of changing my ways of eating. I can NEVER go back to where I was EVER again!
  • Quote: I've decided my goals are more important than temporary indulgences. Yes, summer is coming and I was hoping to be at goal by July 4. Realistically, probly not gonna happen. In my head, I've played with the idea of moving to P2 for July. NOPE. Not gonna happen. That prolongs the time before I eventually get to the goal where I want to be. I chose the goal and have decided that nothing is getting in my way.

Others have made other choices. I have seen a handful of people phase off & come back to P1 with no difficulty & get to goal. I mean a handful. I've decided I'm worth meeting my goals FIRST. But everyone is different. If another person feels they can go off & on with ease, I certainly won't try to stop them. That way just isn't the way for me. I've come to far to stop now (or even take a break). Goals first! At this point, no food or beverage is worth creating a roadblock or detour for the finish line.
    I think you and I are both "all or nothing" personalities. I know, for myself, I would have a very hard time coming back onto this plan with the same focus and devotion as the first time. I guess that's the lens I see getnlean's scenario through and, therefore, am always against phasing off temporarily . . . because it would be a disaster for me. I have never had success with the same diet twice. Now, a little reboot here and there to keep things where they should be will be different, because that is still remaining with the plan without a break (in my twisted mind, anyway ) That said, if others have it in them to phase in and out and in again, more power to them. I wish I was more like that.

I was really surprised by the flood of emotions as I approached the misses dept yesterday. Thanks for sharing about that.

JBmustloseweight -- Stick in there!! The best advice I ever heard about week 1 is to treat yourself as if you have a bad cold or flu. Take it as easy as you can, drink your water, expect no big accomplishments from yourself except for getting through the week OP. I tried to sleep through as much of it as I could. I went to bed extremely early the first 4 or 5 nights. Do whatever it takes to get yourself through it and through it correctly. Once you get to "the other side," you will be so happy -- and you'll feel great. Hang in!
    I joined IP in Jan. 2013, and lost 10 lbs that month but very quickly discovered I would not be able to afford to stay on IP products. I discovered Nashua Nutrition and the ProtiDiet, ProtiThin, HealthWise products. I have continued on the IP protocol using the alternative products. You need 3 packets a day of IP (or alternative equivalents) per day on phase 1. One of the three can be restricted.

Good luck!
  • Wow, I fought to stay OP yesterday! I took my kids to a working tourmaline gem mine where you get a tour of the mine and then get to dig/sift for gems. It was up on a mountain (thinner air), no shade, and 78 degrees. I was filling buckets of dirt, carrying dirt, and sifting dirt for 4 hours.

I think I burned through every calorie to took in yesterday. I took Lisa32989's advice and packed a cooler of IP food. I packed extra in case I needed it, and I did.

But I was glad to have the extra, and stay OP. Have a great day everyone!
  • Quote: Happy Friday!

My origin plan when I started this plan in February was to phase off by Memorial weekend, maintain that weight over the summer and start on plan again in the fall. Have any of you taken a break like this? If so, how did it work out for you? I am starting to question whether this is a good idea or if I should just stick to plan until I hit my goal.

Thanks for your input!
    I really struggled with this decision when I was going on vacation for 2 weeks in March. I had tremendous success until that point, and sought advice on here. Despite everything, I decided to phase off. I got back on P1 the day that I returned, as planned, and have not had a problem. My weight loss has been significant for the last 3 weeks. Again, not saying that this is the best idea for everyone, or for every situation, but it did work ok for me. Having said that, you are significantly closer to goal than I am, and you would be phasing off for a much longer period of time.

Consider all the factors, and make the decision that is right for you!

Quote: Last night was another bad/hungry night for me. My counselor told me I would have a rought week since my body is used to very high starch/fat foods. My "detox" is so bad that I'm starving but don't want meat or veggies, just want starch! But again, I PUSHED THROUGH IT!!! whew. Can't wait til I'm thru the first week!

I'm patiently waiting on my WF syrup to arrive. But even if it doesn't I'm going to have the Crispy Cereal Pancakes today haha -- can't wait!!

I've also found some recipes for "muffins" and "bread" using IP packets which excites me cause I hope to satisfy my love of bread cravings!
    I feel for you! I was in physical pain for the first few days on IP. The good news, is that it does end quickly, the energy you will feel is incredible, and the results are unbelievable! Hang in there!!

Quote: Wow, I fought to stay OP yesterday! I took my kids to a working tourmaline gem mine where you get a tour of the mine and then get to dig/sift for gems. It was up on a mountain (thinner air), no shade, and 78 degrees. I was filling buckets of dirt, carrying dirt, and sifting dirt for 4 hours.

I think I burned through every calorie to took in yesterday. I took Lisa32989's advice and packed a cooler of IP food. I packed extra in case I needed it, and I did.

But I was glad to have the extra, and stay OP. Have a great day everyone!
    That gem mine sounds awesome! My daughter is obsessed with rocks, minerals, gems, and has been since she was little. When she was 2, she was sitting on Santa's lap asking for rocks!! This was only a few days before Christmas, and there was massive amounts of snow on the ground. Where am I supposed to find rocks in December?? It worked out great in the end.

Great planning on your part. I don't hesitate to have an extra packets when I've exercised or when I feel really hungry. A few months ago, I didn't know what that feeling was, compared to feelings of boredom, anger, sadness, etc. that made me want to eat.