Old 04-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Default IP in Ireland

Hello all!

I am back and slowly getting in to my old routine. Trying to stay completely OP was harder than I thought.

Even healthier choices in restaurants had sauces. Salads are not what we think of as a green salad, but usually include coleslaw and/or potato salad. Side veggies ALWAYS include at lest 2 types of potatoes. I DREADED going out to eat until I finally decided to do the best I could. I tired to keep a Quest bar or a packet or two on me at all times. I WISH I had just asked for hot water more often to make a soup or drink. The few times I did, it was no problem.

My big meal splurge was an app of steamed mussels, no sauce and grilled hake. DELISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mussels were sweet and tiny. Hake is a yummy white fish that I fell in love with. It's very low cal. BUT my husband said what we would get in the states that is Hake is different.

It was hard to describe to my family what I could and could not eat, although they tried so hard to be accommodating. For instance, one of my SIL's made a meal using beans in a casserole, you know for protein. I felt bad because I couldn't eat it.

Cooking for myself was challenging because things are in kilos, which isn't so bad, but nutrition labels are worded differently and use metric which I have not used since 4th grade. Resources we take for granted here are not as easily accessible. I must say, the red peppers were absolutely sweet, delicious and abundant. I had a lot of cucumber and red pepper salad.

While our flights were great and the staff very pleasant, (A shocker on Aer Lingus) both of my meals were not what I expected. I tried gluten free going over. It consisted of pasta and bread which were gluten free. I think my meal on the way back was a mistake. It said low carb, but it was chicken with peas, carrots and rice with a side of pasta salad. The only difference between that and my daughters meal was a cookie. I ate what I could off her and my husbands plates and made a soup.

I did do a lot of walking and really enjoyed it. I was even able to keep up with my long legged relatives.

All in all, I could have been better prepared. Maybe keep thermos of hot water in the car when we were traveling.

I will be curious to see how IP launches in GB and Ireland. The economy is worse (about a yr behind us in 'recovery') and this diet would not be affordable to a lot of people. Also, like I said, while there were a lot of veggies the selection of ones we can have are limited. (Seasonal too, I know)

Anyway, my WI is Thursday. All I know is a pr of size 18pants I bought are getting big.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #2  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

Welcome back! I was wondering how the trip was going. We're still set on the end of Aug/1st week of Sep. The plan is for DW and I to be in P4 by then but we'll see. Last time over I was able to sleep the entire flight so didn't have to worry about a meal (trip back was 23 straight waking hours though). We'll definitely be taking some Quest bars to at least have a decent car snack.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #3  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Sounds like you tried really hard to be OP. Good for you!
It's one thing if your traveling here in the US or Canada, but obviously a lot different when you're in Ireland.
I'm glad you had a wonderful trip and arrived home safely!
Good Luck on your WI. I will look forward to hearing your results.

~Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #4  

Hey Ninja! welcome home!!! So glad that you had a blast in Ireland!!!! I bet it was hard to stay OP there. Now ur back so you can go back on IP fulltime!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote