Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 275/269/145

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrn View Post
After a standstill last week (but no gain!).....
I'm down 2 this week!

Just concentrating on getting all of my water in. I drank a ton of herbal tea yesterday and tried Truvia instead of my usual Splenda. Without giving TMI, I have been back and forth to the bathroom. Anyone else have an issue with Truvia?
I have always had GI upset with Truvia/Stevia and Splenda. Plus Truvia feels like it coats my tounge which is just unpleasant.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRegan View Post
Congrats! great way to start the day!
Hope you have a great day! Stay OP!

Ive got a busy one, gonna pack all my food so
I dont mess up.
DH wants to go out to dinner tonite,
I have not eaten out since I started 5 weeks ago, alittle
nervous, but gonna back my own dressing, and maybe get
a nice dry rub steak! any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,
D
Your lowfat meat, steamed veggies, and side salad with just a splash of good balsamic salt and pepper.

For future reference I found a product at Whole Foods that is a replacement for Soy Sauce. Its called Liquid Aminos and you can buy it in a little spray bottle. It had only a small fraction of the sodium of soy sauce and it is very tasty. I looked and you can buy it on amazon too. It is great on steamed veggies and salads. You can also cook with it as you do with soy sauce.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #18  
Started IP Feb 19, 2013

Height: 5'5"

Going to be a crazy day today. Going to pack up a lunch and be off.
Have a great day all.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 184/146/130

Height: 5'1"

Happy Friday everyone. I love weekends normally, but it is a challenge food wise for me. My kids are constantly asking for snacks and such, so i feel like I am constantly in the cupboards and around their left overs. Work days are much better for me.
Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyasbug View Post
I read yesterday that we will regain 10-15 lbs when phasing off over a few weeks. Has anyone experienced this? I'm getting closer to goal weight and wondering if I should reevaluate that especially if there is a lot of post weight gain. Thanks for all the help!
I am new to the diet, but if you want proof then check the reboot threads. Many people gain back about 10 - 15 pounds then "reboot". This is not because you are eating wrong. This is because ketogenic diets like IP deplete glycogen stores in your liver and muscles. This takes weeks to be rebuilt in your body and will add weight, BUT NOT FAT. The weight is from the glycogen and the water that goes with it. These stores are part of a healthy body not in "diet mode".

Google "weight of glycogen stores".

By the way I have been a critical care nurse for 10 years. And FYI some bariatric surgeons put their patients on these low carb diets PRIOR to gastric bypass surgery to shrink their livers by depleting their glycogen stores. It is meant to be a temporary thing. (The liver is an organ that is next to the stomach they will be operating on and bleeds easily, so apparently the smaller the better for them.) The patients continue to lose weight after surgery due to the very low calorie diets they are on and, depending on the surgery performed, altered absorption.

Prior to switching to Nursing I completed the undergrad and 1 year of hospital and clinic rotations to become a registered dietician. This was in the late 1990s. These low carb diets are not new and have been around since the 1970s. I have seen people lose 50-60-100+ lbs on these diets and gain them back very easily and weigh more than when they started because their metabolism is so slow.

It's not the 10 lbs of glycogen and water you have to worry about. It is starting an exercise plan when the IP coaches allow you to. (Phase 2 or 3 right?) I'm doing this diet because I know you lose weight quickly. But the patients I've had as a nurse and a RD student who kept previous weight loss off, (This includes patients I had who had had gastric bypass, lost 200-300lbs and gained it back!), were the ones who diligently stuck to even just a walking and light weight lifting plan.

What I'm saying is think of this part of your life as cutting the fat. The next phase is 3 day+/week cardio and some weight lifting to tone that newly thinned bod and build some muscle so your metabolism increases and you won't find yourself back where you started a year off the diet.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 200.2/135/115

Height: 5'1"

Talked with my coach today about my current challenges with being hungry and generally down about things with these last 15 pounds. She had a few suggestions:

1. If really hungry, have a lower calorie 4th packet or more protein.
2. Time to start exercising.

I haven't added in exercise as I thought it was a no-no in phase 1. Time to start, and I realize that this will be harder for me than changing my diet. I have never gotten exercise to be a part of my daily routine, and now I must figure it out!!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #22  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebear99 View Post
I am new to the diet, but if you want proof then check the reboot threads. Many people gain back about 10 - 15 pounds then "reboot". This is not because you are eating wrong. This is because ketogenic diets like IP deplete glycogen stores in your liver and muscles. This takes weeks to be rebuilt in your body and will add weight, BUT NOT FAT. The weight is from the glycogen and the water that goes with it. These stores are part of a healthy body not in "diet mode".
I think what the poster was originally asking about was how much she will gain during phases 2 & 3.

The reboot thread is for people who have been on maintenance a while and gained some back. They don't gain 10-15 lbs in the 2 weeks of phase 2 and 2 weeks of phase 3. Most still lose in phase 2 and have a small gain or no gain in the 2 weeks of phase 3.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 208/208/145

Height: 5'2.5"

Red face Day #5 on IP.

Well, today I woke up with a terrible headache and oh so tired. I weighed myself this morning and did not see any change from yesterday so I am trying to stay positive that I will see more of a loss by Monday when I weigh in.
I have a paper due tomorrow and a big test tomorrow so I am a little stressed today and I tend to eat when I get stressed out so any tips to help me power through would be appreciated. I really enjoy talking with you all here.
BTW I tried the Big Mac in a bowl last night. OMG! I think I may have found a new favorite meal.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #24  

Height: 5'7

Morning all! Tooth pain still but my dentist is working on getting me a nightguard, so improvement is on the way! I have a few questions for anyone who has the time!

-Will pain killers (narcotic) cause a stall in my weight loss? I take them at night only to help me sleep.
-Will adding more sucralose cause a stall in my weight loss? The last 4 days I've been ending my days with a sparkling water with some Torani SF Cherry.-
-I'm thinking about making spagetti with zucchini noodles, ground turkey and mini red bell peppers as my sauce base. Does anyone have any yummy recipes?

Last edited by ZOMBIEDAWN; 04-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #25  
IP Start Feb 5/16

S/C/G: 338.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebear99 View Post
Your lowfat meat, steamed veggies, and side salad with just a splash of good balsamic salt and pepper.

For future reference I found a product at Whole Foods that is a replacement for Soy Sauce. Its called Liquid Aminos and you can buy it in a little spray bottle. It had only a small fraction of the sodium of soy sauce and it is very tasty. I looked and you can buy it on amazon too. It is great on steamed veggies and salads. You can also cook with it as you do with soy sauce.

Good advice except we can't use Balsamic in phase 1
Seasonings
Apple Cider Vinegar, Fine Herbs, Garlic, Ginger, Lemon, Lemon Grass, Hot Mustard, Hot Sauce, Soya Sauce, Spices (MSG
Free/No Carbs), Tamari Sauce, White Vinegar - NO BALSAMIC or REDWINE VINEGAR!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #26  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingit50 View Post
A question: how long is too long to keep clothes? I typically keep until a hole, washed out or stretched out too much. I was looking at a photo album and I am at the weight I was then and now wearing these clothes. We are talking over 10+ years now and I still have most of those outfits and will begin wearing again.

Should I have a t-shirt for 10, 15 or 20 years? Even though those cargo pants are fitting again, should I wear them? Will the fashion police find me and call me out?

Yes it fits and looks ok but the shape is definitely stretched out and dated. Letting go of clothes that fit and in my mind and still wearable is a bit of a sin. But, as I shed pounds I feel that I deserve new things again.

I am a big thrift shopper, but in some ways that is inheriting the same. I need to come to terms to allow myself to buy a few new things. Money is tight and with the program costs I want to keep other expenses down.

Anyone else struggle with this internal dialogue?
I hate shopping. I find something that fits, and buy 5 of them and wear them for a few years. Seriously, hate shopping.

I just got back from a spring break trip with my teenager, and she beat me into submission and made me buy new clothes. I only shopped at Value Village (Savers) and Ross. I have a whole new wardrobe...some that fits now, some to shrink into. It actually felt really good to have new things that look nice.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Hello all!! I am back and was in the middle of a HUGE run-down of my trip IP wise when I clicked the wrong icon and LOST IT ALL. Now I have to get ready for work.

In a nutshell, it was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I stayed OP most of the time, not that I deliberately went off (food wise), it was just much harder to do in restaurants. Even cooking for myself and eating with family presented challenges. I should have forewarned my family, they were so happy for me but by trying to have them not worry about me it caused a bit if stress for us all. I did have a glass of Guiness and a couple of glasses of wine. Not planned but the Guiness was because I was at Maeve Binchy's local (I am a huge, huge fan and my SIL surprised me and took me to her local and her house.) and the wine because I was celebrating with family. Truth be told, all I got was a headache. I did a lot of walking so hopefully that will help. (esp in trying to keep up with my long legged relatives.) WI is next Thursday I think. I did not weigh myself while I was away.

I have to get ready for work and make my dinner, but I will be around more now. It was a wonderful trip and a wonderful time with family.

More later..............................
Old 04-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 191/138/142

Height: 5' 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randygrl View Post
Well, today I woke up with a terrible headache and oh so tired. I weighed myself this morning and did not see any change from yesterday so I am trying to stay positive that I will see more of a loss by Monday when I weigh in.
I have a paper due tomorrow and a big test tomorrow so I am a little stressed today and I tend to eat when I get stressed out so any tips to help me power through would be appreciated. I really enjoy talking with you all here.
BTW I tried the Big Mac in a bowl last night. OMG! I think I may have found a new favorite meal.
I am also on Day #5, I had a massive headache last night! It was in the back of my head and neck and was just awful. I feel much better today and am staying OP. I am still excited and KNOW I am sticking with this plan. I have a huge work event next Friday and everyone here is talking about how could I possibly not drink alcohol, etc and Jeez, what are you going to eat, and come on it's just one night....I will not give in though...I am so excited to have finally committed myself and I can see the skinny me already!!! BTW, I weigh myself daily (I know I shouldn't but it is a habit), no weight loss today BUT, I am down 8 lbs since Monday. Oh yea, I also tried Big Mac in a bowl last night and it was delish, my husband seriously told me about 10 times while eating it how good it was and how we need to have it a couple times a week!

Stay with me, we can all do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #29  
Started IP Feb 19, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingit50 View Post
A question: how long is too long to keep clothes? I typically keep until a hole, washed out or stretched out too much. I was looking at a photo album and I am at the weight I was then and now wearing these clothes. We are talking over 10+ years now and I still have most of those outfits and will begin wearing again.

Should I have a t-shirt for 10, 15 or 20 years? Even though those cargo pants are fitting again, should I wear them? Will the fashion police find me and call me out?

Yes it fits and looks ok but the shape is definitely stretched out and dated. Letting go of clothes that fit and in my mind and still wearable is a bit of a sin. But, as I shed pounds I feel that I deserve new things again.

I am a big thrift shopper, but in some ways that is inheriting the same. I need to come to terms to allow myself to buy a few new things. Money is tight and with the program costs I want to keep other expenses down.

Anyone else struggle with this internal
If the clothes are stretched out and worn, then yes get rid of them. I love thrift shopping and you can find some great clothes for next to nothing. I would spend time at the thrift store, don't go when you are rushed. I have found brand new name brand clothes at the local thrift store, but you have to keep going back. Make sure you check to see if the buttons are all there, the zippers work etc.

When I first went back to work after many years I bought an entire work wardrobe for $100. I managed to get by for several months until I could start replacing the pieces with new clothes. You are a new thinner you, now you need to figure out what style the new you is going to wear. Have fun.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 183.4/177.2/130

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erica6700 View Post
I am also on Day #5, I had a massive headache last night! It was in the back of my head and neck and was just awful. I feel much better today and am staying OP. I am still excited and KNOW I am sticking with this plan. I have a huge work event next Friday and everyone here is talking about how could I possibly not drink alcohol, etc and Jeez, what are you going to eat, and come on it's just one night....I will not give in though...I am so excited to have finally committed myself and I can see the skinny me already!!! BTW, I weigh myself daily (I know I shouldn't but it is a habit), no weight loss today BUT, I am down 8 lbs since Monday. Oh yea, I also tried Big Mac in a bowl last night and it was delish, my husband seriously told me about 10 times while eating it how good it was and how we need to have it a couple times a week!

Stay with me, we can all do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Day 5 for me too! I have my first weigh-in on Monday. I am so excited! Days 2 and 3 were hardest for me. Excruciating migraine for 48 hours straight. Ouch! I am feeling great today! I keep reading about this Big Mac in a Bowl. Can someone please give me the recipe? Thanks so much!
Closed Thread