Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #211  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lill91210 View Post
Hey my fellow ip peeps!
I'm entering phase 3 On Thursday so I'm studying up on phase 4 and they say after your cheat days you do a modified phase 1 day. Do you guys use the ip products or your own food? If you use you own food may I have some examples please
I do a straight up P1 day after a serious fun day - 3 products, 4 cups veg and 8oz protein. I switched to alternative products 8 weeks into my weight loss so I just still use those products - EAS shakes from Wal Mart, a few favorite Proti Diet foods that my local nutrition store sells, Quest bars from the supermarket when I can get them on sale.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:07 AM   #212  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

You must think me terribly rude but I had to make a totally unexpected trip to the mainland and just got back. Loooong trip from NYC today. I'll try to make sense tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #213  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

It seems so long since I've been on 3FC, I had a lot of back-reading to do. This will be a me-post as I haven't had time to quote replies.

Things have been a controlled crazy the last couple weeks leading up to these last two days of work at my old job. Thursday morning I'll wake up unemployed for 4 whole days! My house goes on the market next week Monday and there are just a few last minute details to take care of. On Saturday I fly to Toronto and in the afternoon will immediately start the house hunting activities there. In between dealing with my house in Winnipeg, I've been scouring the real estate available in the GTA so I have a list of places to look at.

In all of this, I have lost focus on my eating and have gained a few pounds back. My biggest problem was not being mindful, eating to get rid of food in the fridge, grabbing things on the run (not bad food just too much) and having fun/close to fun meals for several days in a row without a P1 day afterwards. I also stopped logging my food because of lack of computer time and I had tucked away my scale so there was no monitoring. I went back on P1 as of Saturday and plan to stay on until Wednesday. Thurs I'll move to P3 and then probably do a cycle of P3 days with a P1 day every couple of days while I'm away. I'll re-evaluate when I'm back home and am considering I may need a full 2-week P1 reset.

This has been a good learning experience so I'm not broken over it but trying to tackle it head on. I've gone back to the Beck book to refresh my mindful eating techniques and I'm getting back to logging my food on MFP which is hard to do if you just randomly grab things to eat. My challenging foods are homemade greek yogurt with sugar free syrups added, blueberries, dried nuts and even vegetables and protein at times. I was decreasing my freezer stores of pork, beef and lamb so a lot of my meat choices were higher fat content.

I'll try to stay more active here too because I need the support to keep focused on me and food challenges especially when I don't feel I have the time to spend.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #214  
Maintenance 2/1/2013

S/C/G: 208/148/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello all!
Busy and cold spring here in RI, but warming up
I've been MIA here, but living life and loving it! I ran a 5K at the beginning of Apr, went on vaca in FL and actually liked being in a swim suit, and went dancing with girlfriends for the first time since college! What a difference weight loss and IP has made in both my mindset and life!
I feel blessed to have found it and all of you! Just spent the am catching up on everyone...
Congrats to all the newbies transitioning to maintenance and to the long-term maintainers who are a constant inspiration to me.
I'll be back more regularly because I realized how much I missed it when I logged back in!

Lizz- so glad for the news on your decrease in meds! Woot woo!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #215  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy63 View Post
Went to my doctor today and she told me to completely stop my cholesterol meds and cut my BP meds in half. This is what I've been waiting for since starting IP in July!!
HIP HIP HOORAY!!! You are rockin' it Lizzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
In all of this, I have lost focus on my eating and have gained a few pounds back. My biggest problem was not being mindful, eating to get rid of food in the fridge, grabbing things on the run (not bad food just too much) and having fun/close to fun meals for several days in a row without a P1 day afterwards. I also stopped logging my food because of lack of computer time and I had tucked away my scale so there was no monitoring. I went back on P1 as of Saturday and plan to stay on until Wednesday. Thurs I'll move to P3 and then probably do a cycle of P3 days with a P1 day every couple of days while I'm away. I'll re-evaluate when I'm back home and am considering I may need a full 2-week P1 reset.

This has been a good learning experience so I'm not broken over it but trying to tackle it head on. I've gone back to the Beck book to refresh my mindful eating techniques and I'm getting back to logging my food on MFP which is hard to do if you just randomly grab things to eat. My challenging foods are homemade greek yogurt with sugar free syrups added, blueberries, dried nuts and even vegetables and protein at times. I was decreasing my freezer stores of pork, beef and lamb so a lot of my meat choices were higher fat content.

I'll try to stay more active here too because I need the support to keep focused on me and food challenges especially when I don't feel I have the time to spend.
Kitkat - you're doing fine...you haven't lost control and know exactly what to do to get fully back on track. You amaze me that you're accomplishing so much in so little time! By mid-summer you'll be all settled into your new home and new job. Hang in there

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak8 View Post
Hello all!
Busy and cold spring here in RI, but warming up
I've been MIA here, but living life and loving it! I ran a 5K at the beginning of Apr, went on vaca in FL and actually liked being in a swim suit, and went dancing with girlfriends for the first time since college! What a difference weight loss and IP has made in both my mindset and life!
I feel blessed to have found it and all of you! Just spent the am catching up on everyone...
Congrats to all the newbies transitioning to maintenance and to the long-term maintainers who are a constant inspiration to me.
I'll be back more regularly because I realized how much I missed it when I logged back in!
Hi Mommak8 - Love the NSVs of liking wearing a swimsuit and going dancing! Happy life!

It's a rainy, but oh so much warmer week here! I do believe spring finally found us Nothing really to report, other than Molly & I are going to get together soon for lunch or dinner! Have a great day all
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #216  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
It seems so long since I've been on 3FC, I had a lot of back-reading to do. This will be a me-post as I haven't had time to quote replies....This has been a good learning experience so I'm not broken over it but trying to tackle it head on. I've gone back to the Beck book to refresh my mindful eating techniques and I'm getting back to logging my food on MFP which is hard to do if you just randomly grab things to eat. My challenging foods are homemade greek yogurt with sugar free syrups added, blueberries, dried nuts and even vegetables and protein at times. I was decreasing my freezer stores of pork, beef and lamb so a lot of my meat choices were higher fat content.
Hi Kit Kat! Hang in there. Moving and changing jobs can be stressful, and you were also using up the food in your freezer! We are all so lucky because we know what to do and how to get back into control. Be kind to yourself! I know what you mean about challenging foods - even though that are perfect for P4!

This morning I found myself going back for another tsp of almond butter after I had already eaten my 1 1/2 Tbspn. I knew what I was doing, but saw myself saying "oh, it will be ok." I need to watch those moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
It's a rainy, but oh so much warmer week here! I do believe spring finally found us Nothing really to report, other than Molly & I are going to get together soon for lunch or dinner! Have a great day all
Yay! You're getting spring!!!! Finally!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak8 View Post
I've been MIA here, but living life and loving it! I ran a 5K at the beginning of Apr, went on vaca in FL and actually liked being in a swim suit, and went dancing with girlfriends for the first time since college! What a difference weight loss and IP has made in both my mindset and life!...Congrats to all the newbies transitioning to maintenance and to the long-term maintainers who are a constant inspiration to me.
Welcome back, mommak8!! And thanks, I guess I'm a newbie to maintenance! I'll officially start P4 in a few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck81 View Post
Hi everyone. I did my recipe class the other night. ...They loved it and they were excited about the recipes. I gave them other tips about the diet and it felt good sharing my knowledge. I live in a small community so most people know me and that I have lost weight. Another good incentive to keep it off.
Lynnie and Joysh, good luck heading into maintenance! And hi to everyone else!
Beck, sounds like your recipe class went well. Glad you did it!

I know what you mean about the public incentive to keep it off. I, too, live in a small town and I'm visible in my job here. People have noticed and commented about the weight loss (often) and they would notice if I gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
... I'd just like to say that I feel it is so very important to live life to the fullest, and be sure to tell those closest to you how much you love them often. So, even though we all don't know each other personally, I value this community, the support, and the friendships found here very much. Thank you to each one of you.
Ditto, Cindy.

Epaprn, sorry to hear you are going through this. Hang in there - and stay in contact with your doc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel View Post
I went to TOPS Provincial Recognition Days this weekend. VERY VERY uplifting and inspiring. I was the provincial runner up for weight loss and the lady who lost 13 lbs more then me was FANTASTIC. She has MS and lost all her weight in a wheel chair doing upper body excersises. WHOA!! Very cool!!!
What's TOPS?

Last edited by joysh; 05-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #217  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Ishbel: Way to go on that Tops Pageant! It must have been so inspiring to be around all of those people who have lost and kept it off! Great job on being RunnerUp! I could take a 25 year flag also as a goal.
Lizzy63: Excellent that you have cut your BP and are off cholesterol. You are so much healthier.
Joysh: Tops is for an organization called Take Pounds off Sensibly. I think you meet once a week as a support. It is inexpensive and very supportive.
Kitkat: Hang in there..Moving is stressful. You have great plans ahead.
Welcome back Maomak8. How fun that you are enjoying swimsuits and dancing. I wish we had some swimsuit weather. It snowed this am.

Linden: get some rest!

I am doing well..keeping on, keeping on.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

Hi all, my life has been pretty busy, but I am hoping to listen and contribute as I can. There is tons do wisdom here, with the tons of weight lost!
I'm back!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #219  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Hi dizzyjean! Welcome back Hope all is well with you!

Ishbel - I forgot to congratulate you on being runner-up at the TOPS conference...so CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Last edited by greeniris; 05-01-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #220  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Joy TOPS - Take Off Pounds Sensibly...it's a weight support group. I pay 30 dollars a year for membership and 5 dollars a month for rent of the room we use weekly. It always was a part of my weight maintenance plan. The group I'm in, I've been in for 5 years and it's all about support. We have weekly meetings where we talk about our week, what was good what was bad. We have programs and we weigh in. Its a support group. They all knew I was on IP and supported me, no one else is on IP. Some people are following Tosca Rena's program, three other people are following three other different programs. We all support everyone. Once you hit your goal you become a KOP Keep Off Pounds Sensibly and you have a 10 lbs leeway, 3 lbs over your goal and 7 lbs under your goal that you are allowed (it must be approved by your doctor). I am consitently under that goal, I added a few lbs to it (it's 167 there) because it's after supper and in the evening and I usually wear jeans lol. At the end of the year if you've met your goal they tally up everyone's results and if you lost the most weight then you are Queen of the province. I was Queen Runner Up and I had everyone saying "princess" by the end of the day LMAO.

It's like WW only just support and encouragement. Some in my group have become very good friends that I'll keep for a long long time. They give you ideas (weekly programs) and have their own weight loss program but you don't have to follow it. It really helps me with my mid-week weigh in. Each year that you keep your weight off you get a year pin, so next year I will get #1 as a pin. Many ladies are 25 and over and there are some that are 9-10 years and some that are 1. It was very cool.

THEN during the Provincial Recognition Days (it's probably State Recognition Days down there)...they also have people in the PROCESS of losing their weight. They all speak. So it's very inspirational.

www.tops.org (not sure if I'm allowed to put that in here, if it gets removed and you don't know whats ahead of this sentence then it's not allowed)

maile/greeniris Thanks so much

lizzy WOOHOO! Take a mind snapshot when you get rid of your meds...it's significant!

kitkat You are doing better then you think you are I'm sure. Moving is stressful no matter what. Can only imagine how many people want to take you out.

++++++++

Hope everyone has a great day!

Last edited by Ishbel; 05-01-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #221  

Hello and Happy Wednesday to everyone here. Been in maintainece since December and I am doing a week of phase 1 to take off 2-3lbs and reset. I was dreading going back on for a week but have found it not to be too bad, especially because I come on here and read about others success, commitment, and dedication and I am instantly motivated by all of you.

A few questions...anyone notice the scale jump 5lbs around starting TOM? This was not something I remember prior to IP but then again I was not necessarily paying as close as attention as I do now. Anyone else find their appetite increased before they start but not while during TOM?

Old 05-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #222  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Thanks, Ishbel and Maile! That sounds like a wonderful group!

Had my last choir concert of the season last night. I remember the first one on IP in October. I practically passed out during the dress rehearsal. I had no idea it would be so physically taxing, especially on P1 calories. I sat down and ate half an IP bar. Spoke to my coach the next day, who advised me to drink an RTD immediately before going onstage for the concert. I did and used that same procedure for all of the other concerts this year. I treated it as a "workout," which it is! Anyway, the music was beautiful. I was waiting until the concert was over to officially move into P4. No excuses now! I will move into maintenance in the next day or so! I've spent 2 weeks on P2, 2 weeks on P3, and now ready to movenonward!

Have a great day, everyone!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #223  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Joysh: I am glad your concert went well. That was physically demanding. I think you will enjoy Phase 4.
Sandyc" I can't help you as I am much older! However, I have gained 5 pounds in one day..not fun.
Welcome Dizzyjean.
Hi Cindy..Hope your week is going well.

Ishbel: I think you have a wonderful support system with TOPS. Plus getting a pin each year is inspirational. I think support is a key to maintenance.

Here is an interesting blog that got me thinking.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013

… just another fancy term for a lifelong diet?

I have to admit that this possible misconception had crossed my mind a couple of times in the past. Especially after returning to old habits at the end of a strict, depriving diet. And seeing the pounds returning as well. The idea of a lifelong diet seemed like the only – dreadful! – solution at times like that. But I hadn’t really given it much thought until recently.

I was reading an article here. To be honest, I really don’t remember the exact subject because the thing that really caught my attention was the first comment right under the article. A woman insisted that what she learned, was not a lifestyle change but simply how to maintain her weight by being constantly on a diet, by saying “no” to all “forbidden” foods and by being in a never-ending workout frenzy in order to keep her body in a considerably fit state! It made me think…

Could she be right?

Could we be fooling ourselves here?

Are we in a constant dieting procedure that we have hidden behind the comforting and guilt-free term “lifestyle change”?

Could we?

I had to give it some serious thought and find my own personal answer . My adult life consists of three different eating patterns. In the past it was either “on a diet” or “off a diet”. And then I lost weight and committed myself to a “lifestyle change”. So, let’s see how they differ…

* DIET*

Meals:
Strict, following a program that someone else had made for me and not according to what I’d like to eat on a specific day. ALWAYS low-calorie, low-fat and lacking taste and variety.
Sweets and treats:
Out-of-the-question! Forbidden! Even the thought of them could make the scale go up!
Nutritional knowledge and awareness:
Limited and mistakenly oriented to fat percentage. Food was either fattening or not. Who cares about nutritional values…
Exercise:
A weight loss tool, used occasionally to help the scale move a bit faster. “Does it burn calories? Then I’ll do it!”
Weight maintenance:
Weeks, Months, never actually made it to a full year…

*OFF-DIET*

Meals:
Anything, anytime, anywhere! I’m not on a diet anymore! Woohoo!
Sweets and treats:
See “meals” above. Woohoo twice!!!
If it tastes good, it’s good for me! We said it: I’m not on a diet anymore!
Exercise:
Well, I walk when I have the chance. I mean, I like exercise but why should I do it? I’m not trying to lose weight.
Weight maintenance:
…Hmmm… Now, where did I put that scale?...

*LIFESTYLE CHANGE*

Meals:
Balanced, planned by me according to my desire and taste.
Sweets and treats:
Occasional and in moderation. Enjoying food is part of life, after all.
Much more than ever before. I always read nutritional labels and I watch my daily intake of most important food categories.
Exercise:
Way of life. Something that helps me feel strong and healthy and not just a weight loss assisting tool.
Weight maintenance:
I have been in the lowest weight range of my life for a little more than a year. And counting…

In short, the answer is NO! This “lifestyle change” that there’s so much fuss over it , is NOT a life-long diet. It’s not a diet at all. And it’s not the “eat-everything-I want” way of living, either. It’s the safe road in between. It’s about learning to enjoy food in your own terms, the ones that can help you maintain a healthy body that you feel good in.

And if we compare it to the “off-diet” state, or to a mentality of eating everything in sight, then, yes, it might look like a diet. But is this the way we want to live? Treating our stomach like a trash can? Saying yes to all the zero-quality products that the food industry has to offer? And calling every other way of eating a “diet”?

No! The “D” word was taken out of my vocabulary. It got replaced with words like moderation, balance, real food. I have learned that there are many more labels for food than just good and bad, fattening and not.

I learned how to stop dieting. Once and for all.

I made food my friend, not a foe.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #224  
IP Start: 8/17/12

S/C/G: 183/150/150

Height: 5'5"

Maile,
Thanks for sharing this blog. Lifestyle Change is exactly where I am post-IP.
Never have I ever been there before.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #225  

S/C/G: 202/150/147

Height: 5'2"

Hi again, all!
GreenIris- doing well. I have gotten used to the Lupus meds, and the fatigue and joint pain is manageable. I have kept pretty stable with weight, which is great. It all still takes a lot of thoughts to keep disassociating food items. Haha, a lifelong practice, I guess.
I really liked the thoughtful discussion about lowest possible weight and maintain-able weight. 2 different goals, I believe.
I find that when I get near the top of my comfort weight zone, I start to lose my confidence. I lose that happiness in my own skin. That is interesting to me, and I still need to think about it and see why being up a couple of pounds makes me think I will lose control and gain the pounds back. Sounds silly to me, as I write it, but that's my fear.
Anyway, happy Thursday, all!
Closed Thread