Old 11-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #1  
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Default What is phase 2's importance? (phasing out for vacation)

I will be phasing out soon for a pre-IP planned vacation. I'm trying to decide if I should do 2 weeks of P2 and 2 weeks of P3 as protocol. I have read on 3FC where some do just 1 week of P2 and 1 week of P3 before vacation. Anyone have any strong opinions/input? Especially, those of you who have gone through phasing out for vacations!

P2 doesn't seem very necessary? Does anyone understand the science behind P2 or if there is any science behind it? OR is P2 just there to help us get used to cooking/having protein for lunch (as well as dinner) and to get used to having less pre-packaged IP foods (from 3 packets daily to 2 packets daily)?

Our coach is gone this week and his replacement isn't very knowledgeable. So, not much help there and I need to make a decision very SOON becasue vacation is just around the corner. My husband (also doing IP) is strongly considering doing zero P2 weeks and 2 weeks of P3.... I have concerns about this, thinking that P2 must be there for a reason. Please, Help! Thanks, Jen
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #2  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

My coach explained it as a "stepping stone" to increase calories gradually, still in ketosis, but moving from ~900-1100 to ~1100-1300 calories, as "real protein" is higher calorie than the packets. The idea i guess is a gradual increase from the low-cal famine to higher-cal feast helps prevent your body from jumping to storage mode. Then Phase 3 increases more cals and intros carbs, then Phase 4. And honestly, my stomach needed it too as it wasnt used to working so hard digesting...the packets are highly processed, easily absorbable nutrition, you may find probiotics helpful when you jump to more real food.

I never phased out for a vacation, but that was my experience with a "full phase out".

Last edited by LizRR; 11-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

If you read Dr Train's book.....phase two was originally designed to make it easier for people to stay on the diet longer by making it easier to live in the real world. This is why originally it was for a lot longer of the diet. I personally do not believe that it makes that much difference....yes, you are getting a bit more calories but I don't think there is actual science behind it. I think that more than anything it is psychological because you are made to think about making a meal. Going from having a very structured (easy to plan) meal to phase 3 would be a big jump...but I think if I was just phasing off for an event I would not worry so much...but that is just me.
CortneyMarie622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I know some centers no longer do P2 - my feeling is that p2 is less about science than psychology. To go from only planning one meal per day to having to plan THREE meals, PLUS learn how to balance the nutritional content of those P3 breakfasts is a LOT to switch to from P1. Is 2 weeks necessary? That may be more of a judgement call on your part. But I think the less we shock our bodies and brains, the better we will make the transition down to maintenance, and the more likely we are to stick with it!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
My coach explained it as a "stepping stone" to increase calories gradually, still in ketosis, but moving from ~900-1100 to ~1100-1300 calories, as "real protein" is higher calorie than the packets. The idea i guess is a gradual increase from the low-cal famine to higher-cal feast helps prevent your body from jumping to storage mode. Then Phase 3 increases more cals and intros carbs, then Phase 4. And honestly, my stomach needed it too as it wasnt used to working so hard digesting...the packets are highly processed, easily absorbable nutrition, you may find probiotics helpful when you jump to more real food.

I never phased out for a vacation, but that was my experience with a "full phase out".
Ditto! I did one week of each for a phase off for vacation and immediately wen back to Phase 1.....from my experience I would recommend it. Be gentle with your body.

Last edited by Ishbel; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 202/186.5/170

Height: 5'11

That's interesting. I started IP two weeks before a vacation and my centre recommended I do phase 2 for 2 day, and phase 3 for two days before going away. That seemed relatively painless. I certainly gained during my vacation but got back on plan as soon as I got home.
KristaL32 is offline   Reply With Quote