IP Daily Chat Thursday 3/14/2013

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • I know we're supposed to measure our meat raw. I have always pre-portioned all my meat before freezing into 8 oz zip-loc bags.

I know meat will vary due to type, cut, cooking method, etc but generally most people follow a 6.5 oz cooked = 8 oz raw.

Out of curiosity today I weighed my white meat chicken tenderloins (extremely lean) after broiling in the oven. My 8 oz raw only weighed 4.6 oz after cooking.

Long story short, has anybody ever experienced their almost fat-free chicken shrinking by nearly 50%?
  • Quote: I know we're supposed to measure our meat raw. I have always pre-portioned all my meat before freezing into 8 oz zip-loc bags.

I know meat will vary due to type, cut, cooking method, etc but generally most people follow a 6.5 oz cooked = 8 oz raw.

Out of curiosity today I weighed my white meat chicken tenderloins (extremely lean) after broiling in the oven. My 8 oz raw only weighed 4.6 oz after cooking.

Long story short, has anybody ever experienced their almost fat-free chicken shrinking by nearly 50%?
    I bought a lb the other day and after cooking there was about 12 oz left
    8 to 6 instead of 6.5
    Mine was lean chicken breast meat, as well. I wonder if it depends on whether it was injected or not?? A lot of commercial meats are. Mine was farm fresh.
    I'm guessing more water will cook off from injected meat. I have learned SO MUCH reading labels carefully!
  • Quote: I bought a lb the other day and after cooking there was about 12 oz left
    8 to 6 instead of 6.5
    Mine was lean chicken breast meat, as well. I wonder if it depends on whether it was injected or not?? A lot of commercial meats are. Mine was farm fresh.
    I'm guessing more water will cook off from injected meat. I have learned SO MUCH reading labels carefully!
    They were organic, fresh, chicken tenderloins, never frozen. I hope they weren't injected with anything.

Thanks!
  • Quote: That looks like a good option. I've had a burrito bowl there before too.
    Thanks for the response Ragdoll!
  • Well today did not start out great. I found out that my job is being cut..so I have no contract starting June of this year. There are possibilities of something else opening in the same place but I will have to do the whole application process.
    Good news is that had I been told this when not doing IP i probably would have stopped at closest fast food place. Instead I came home, made a salad and called my DH to let him know. I can at least appreciate the 3 month notice, many people didnt get that.
    I am not going to let this derail me. In fact I will be more diligent than ever as Im going to need confidence and good health to find a new position and deal with all the changes that this will mean for my family.
  • Quote: Well today did not start out great. I found out that my job is being cut..so I have no contract starting June of this year. There are possibilities of something else opening in the same place but I will have to do the whole application process.
    Good news is that had I been told this when not doing IP i probably would have stopped at closest fast food place. Instead I came home, made a salad and called my DH to let him know. I can at least appreciate the 3 month notice, many people didnt get that.
    I am not going to let this derail me. In fact I will be more diligent than ever as Im going to need confidence and good health to find a new position and deal with all the changes that this will mean for my family.
    Sorry to hear about your job. Way to hang in there. And way to look at the positve regarding your 3 months to figure it all out.
  • Thought I would post a little incentive for people not to cheat. I did on Sunday. I was 2 pounds from where I wanted to be before my holiday and had 3 weeks to lose the last 2 so figured no problem. I know excuses, but for me I am just not that strict with myself (although I did 52 days 100%) and am not letting myself feel guilty about it. So anyway wanted to give the nasty verdict of my weigh in this week. Up 2.6 pounds. 1/4 inch lost. So maybe that will help someone if they were considering a cheat. Have a good OP day everyonel.
  • jeffiner -- good job staying positive and OP! Good luck with your job!

rubygirl05 -- those options look good. Good job planning ahead!

Really excited to go in and get MORE packets. I am tired of the ones I have had for the past 9 days....plus first WI!!
  • I apologize in advance for our IPrs in the northern climes but it's sunny and 70 here in S. Central TX. I planted the 1st part of my garden today. Ironic that what I planted is a restricted veggie (tomato). Maybe I'll be in maintenance before anything ripens.
  • I CANNOT stay warm...is this another lovely side affect of releasing fat?
  • Quote: I CANNOT stay warm...is this another lovely side affect of releasing fat?
    Yup - you've got less insulation
  • Quote: Yup - you've got less insulation
    I don't know about that quite yet...only on week 2
  • Quote: I CANNOT stay warm...is this another lovely side affect of releasing fat?
    Yes, it's a very common side effect of the diet.
  • Quote: I apologize in advance for our IPrs in the northern climes but it's sunny and 70 here in S. Central TX. I planted the 1st part of my garden today. Ironic that what I planted is a restricted veggie (tomato). Maybe I'll be in maintenance before anything ripens.
    if you were really sorry you'd come up here and help me shovel. Currently it's about 22 F and slated to snow between 2-5 inches (again) between now and tomorrow morning.
    I couldn't keep warm. Walked around my house with hat, gloves, neck gator and blankets. Four weeks in and not as bad but it was fat burning. Enjoy the cold.