3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Concerns about IP ingredients (GMO or non? organic? sucralose, soy): Anyone else?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
Ideal Protein Diet
 
Tailwinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 56

S/C/G: 157/138/115

Height: 5'2"

Default Concerns about IP ingredients (GMO or non? organic? sucralose, soy): Anyone else?

Being overweight poses risks to our health, both physical (e.g., heart disease, diabetes) and psychological (e.g., depression) and it is really important to get to a healthy weight. There are many ways to do that, each with varying degrees of complexity, speed and risks and choosing a weight loss program is an individual decision based on balancing the risks and rewards based on that individual's knowledge and willingness to assume risks.

I am only a little more than a month into IP so I am still learning. But I have come to realize that these foods contain, especially in aggregate, large amounts of soy and sucralose, both of which are known to pose serious health risks based on studies which are not sponsored by their manufacturers.

On a related note, I was told by the owner of my center that IP foods are non-GMO and organic. Yet there is no mention of this on their packaging or their web site. Given that these attributes provide HUGE marketing advantages, this stunned me and drove me to pursue more information. When I emailed the manufacturer, they said that their foods are non-GMO. When I asked whether they were organic, they referred me back to my center. In an email exchange, the owner said that she would give me the information provided by IP which shows that their foods are indeed organic and non-GMO. I am to get that information at my consult with my coach, a co-owner, tomorrow.

Due to chronic health problems (Chronic Lyme disease since 1975 undiagnosed until 2003), I have had to learn a lot about the things we put in and on our body. I have seen the FDA insist that things are safe while scientific studies say otherwise leading Europe and other countries to ban substances that we consume in abundance in the US. So I have become increasingly skeptical over the years. It can be a real challenge to know whom to believe anymore.

Does anyone else share my concerns? How do you deal with them? Is the program a way to start your weight loss journey and then transition to another ketosis diet or to some other weight loss plan? Or are you accepting the risks to get to goal and through Phase 4 using IP foods? Or something in-between?
__________________
Suzanne


Last edited by Tailwinds : 03-12-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Tailwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
Heading Downtown...
 
TripSwitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,288

S/C/G: 218.7/163.7/155

Height: 5'6"

Default

I'm not on IP... But there was a thread about this not that long ago... And if I remember correctly the IP foods weren't organic... And I think there was a whole debate about the non-GMO issue as part of that thread as well... Hopefully someone here can link to it for you...
__________________
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Ideal Protein Diet
 
Tailwinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 56

S/C/G: 157/138/115

Height: 5'2"

Default

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I don't know if it was the same thread, but I did participate in a thread not long ago about non-GMO and organic claims by IP. At least in the one that I saw, there was no conclusion, only a lot of skepticism about the claims. I am wondering if anyone has conclusive information on the organic and GMO issues. I will post more information tomorrow after seeing what information my coach provides.

But I am also very interested in a discussion about assuming the risks of eating foods that are known to pose health risks, especially in these large amounts, and how people are dealing with it.
__________________
Suzanne


Last edited by Tailwinds : 03-12-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Tailwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
Started IP 1/10/13
 
Ojenchilada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 130

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

I share your concerns. Let's be honest...there's nothing natural about the IP foods. I certainly don't see this as a long-term solution to my weight problem, but I love how it has transitioned me into believing I don't need so many carbs to function. I don't know yet how or when I will transition to some other plan, but I consider IP to be a stepping stone.
__________________
-Jennifer
W1:-4.5 W2:-6.5 W3:-3.0 W4:-2.0 W5:-3.0 W6:-0.5 W7:-5.5 W8:-2.0 W9:-1
Switched to Rapid Fat Loss 3/13/13 weighing 192
W10:-1.5 W11:-1.0 W12:-3.0
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Jez
mythbuster.
 
Jez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 586

Height: 5'4" Age: 32

Default

I think that short-term diets like these are worth the weirdness. It comes down to weighing the healthfulness of continuing to eat the way that got us to where we are vs. the healthfulness of the "weird" diet. I figure I've eaten like crap off and on for years. This isn't what's going to make me sick. It's a jump start to a healthier life.

(ETA: Note, I am not on IP. But I have pretty unconventional views of what is "healthy" the more I learn about foods, and it takes a lot for me to say that doing some kind of fad/short-term diet is worth the chemically weirdness.)
__________________
Start: 210 on Nov 5
Goal: 160 by Feb 24
Final Goal: 135



Last edited by Jez : 03-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Reboot 9/2014
 
scorbett1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,856

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Default

I believe in the previous thread, the only documented mention of IP products being non-GMO and organic came from one particular clinic's website. It wasn't the corporate website, just one clinic among many. If it were part of corporate literature, I am fairly certain that many more clinics would use it in their advertising, as the organic/non-GMO label is a HUGE draw for many people and would likely increase sales.
__________________
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Momto2cs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,729

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

In Canada sucralose is in all kinds of products-from diet pop to kids freezies.
You can avoid this in ip by using the soups, etc. instead of the sweet foods.

I don't think anyone expects a plan that has you eating out of food envelops would be organic...
__________________
Maintaining since April 2011.
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
IP Start Date: 10/3/2012
 
tam67green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 273

S/C/G: 247/171.6/150

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post
I share your concerns. Let's be honest...there's nothing natural about the IP foods. I certainly don't see this as a long-term solution to my weight problem, but I love how it has transitioned me into believing I don't need so many carbs to function. I don't know yet how or when I will transition to some other plan, but I consider IP to be a stepping stone.
Totally agree! That was well said!
__________________
tam67green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Embracing the suck
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California - East Bay
Posts: 3,185

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default

The IP diet is a PSMF diet. It relies heavily on pre-packaged food with many non organic ingredients.

If you want to follow a PSMF diet that uses organic only you have some options.

1) You can follow the IP protocol and use alternative products that are similar to IP products. For example - you can buy organic protein powder from True Protein.

2) You can follow another program, such as "Rapid Fat Loss" that has you only eating whole foods and you can buy organic. (Personally I believe this program is superior for many reasons primarily based on it's whole foods approach)

The downside to either one of these options is that you won't get the support of an IP coach for in person accountablity.
__________________
"Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 8,117

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwinds View Post
Being overweight poses risks to our health, both physical (e.g., heart disease, diabetes) and psychological (e.g., depression) and it is really important to get to a healthy weight. There are many ways to do that, each with varying degrees of complexity, speed and risks and choosing a weight loss program is an individual decision based on balancing the risks and rewards based on that individual's knowledge and willingness to assume risks.

I am only a little more than a month into IP so I am still learning. But I have come to realize that these foods contain, especially in aggregate, large amounts of soy and sucralose, both of which are known to pose serious health risks based on studies which are not sponsored by their manufacturers.

On a related note, I was told by the owner of my center that IP foods are non-GMO and organic. Yet there is no mention of this on their packaging or their web site. Given that these attributes provide HUGE marketing advantages, this stunned me and drove me to pursue more information. When I emailed the manufacturer, they said that their foods are non-GMO. When I asked whether they were organic, they referred me back to my center. In an email exchange, the owner said that she would give me the information provided by IP which shows that their foods are indeed organic and non-GMO. I am to get that information at my consult with my coach, a co-owner, tomorrow.

Due to chronic health problems (Chronic Lyme disease since 1975 undiagnosed until 2003), I have had to learn a lot about the things we put in and on our body. I have seen the FDA insist that things are safe while scientific studies say otherwise leading Europe and other countries to ban substances that we consume in abundance in the US. So I have become increasingly skeptical over the years. It can be a real challenge to know whom to believe anymore.

Does anyone else share my concerns? How do you deal with them? Is the program a way to start your weight loss journey and then transition to another ketosis diet or to some other weight loss plan? Or are you accepting the risks to get to goal and through Phase 4 using IP foods? Or something in-between?
I had very similar concerns.
First, I decided that the health benefits of losing over 100 lbs outweighed my concerns and I would look at the processed foods as temporary.

Soy is one of the worst of the GMO products (most widespread, etc)
I developed hypothyroid problems after starting on IP, and soy can be traced as a culprit. I have since gone soy and gluten-free (I've read a LOT about gluten-free being very important for Hashimotos and other hypothyroid issues)
So, cutting soy cut out much of the GMO concerns that I had. Do I know the sources of the milk for the whey protein? No. Could they be from cows treated wtih BGH? sure.
Again, I'm looking at it as temporary.

I'm gradually scaling back on products with sucralose and replacing with stevia. I'm now making my own soups with plain protein powder and veggies purees. I buy the Quest bars sweetened with stevia. I use the Simply brand protein chips (soy and gluten-free). I'm about 63% to goal. For maintenance P1 days, I'll get to be much pickier about products used.

One thing IP has done is re-ignite my sweet tooth. I was pretty much sweetener-free prior to IP. I'll have to move toward that again. One step at a time. Again, temporary to get the weight off. That is the first goal. There were a LOT of unhealthy foods I was eating to get to be the weight I was. I can "clean it up" more when I get to maintenance.

Until then, much of the produce I buy is organic or from local farm sources. This time of year in the Midwest, I'm stuck with what is trucked in (thank goodness for that!) We have some local farmers with greenhouses who are selling items once per month at indoor farmers markets locations thru the winter.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
Lost 95 lbs on IP!
Link to weight loss Photos

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
Ideal Protein Diet
 
Tailwinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 56

S/C/G: 157/138/115

Height: 5'2"

Default

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I am glad to know that I am not the only one with these concerns. Jennifer, yes, well said.

scorbett, we are in total agreement which is why I am eager to see what information my center provides. I will post here when I get it and will be interested to see what others think.

JohnP., thank you. I really like your suggestions. Is the Rapid Fat Loss program you refer to from "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook: A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting" by Lyle McDonald? The cheapest offer on Amazon is $80 something... I will check out True Protein powder. I think I want to keep my coaching accountability for a while longer, but I know from past experience that I will be able to stop at some point and continue to lose weight without that. It is good to have some options to consider in advance of that transition.

Lisa: I have asked for the ingredients in each food which I am to get tomorrow, too. I am hoping to avoid or at least minimize use of the foods with soy. From information in another thread, I have ordered Quest bars from the All Natural Line because they are sweetened with Stevia. Are you talking about chips from Simply Choices by Wellness Foods? Are you using any IP foods at this point?
__________________
Suzanne

Tailwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
Ideal Protein Diet
 
Tailwinds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 56

S/C/G: 157/138/115

Height: 5'2"

Default

I see True Protein has vegan powders. That makes me very happy.
__________________
Suzanne

Tailwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Embracing the suck
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California - East Bay
Posts: 3,185

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwinds View Post
JohnP., thank you. I really like your suggestions. Is the Rapid Fat Loss program you refer to from "The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook: A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting" by Lyle McDonald? The cheapest offer on Amazon is $80 something... I will check out True Protein powder. I think I want to keep my coaching accountability for a while longer, but I know from past experience that I will be able to stop at some point and continue to lose weight without that. It is good to have some options to consider in advance of that transition.
Yea - that's the book but I wouldn't buy it from Amazon. Pretty weird that someone would be selling a used copy for more than double what a new one is. Buy it here. The E-Book is $29.95. Also, you can google up a pdf version but I would urge you to buy it if you find it valuable to support the author.
__________________
"Getting solid information is easier than ever. Getting misinformation is even easier." - Kaplods

Maintaining for two years and I eat whatever I want - just not however much I want. Details here.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Started IP 1/10/13
 
Ojenchilada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 130

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default

Great thread. In all these weeks, my coach has only been at the office twice. So I don't see much of a point to sticking with IP any longer. I really like the whole foods PSMF option. And Lisa, I am with you--this program has super charged my sweet tooth.
__________________
-Jennifer
W1:-4.5 W2:-6.5 W3:-3.0 W4:-2.0 W5:-3.0 W6:-0.5 W7:-5.5 W8:-2.0 W9:-1
Switched to Rapid Fat Loss 3/13/13 weighing 192
W10:-1.5 W11:-1.0 W12:-3.0
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
Started IP 1/10/13
 
Desafinado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Default

I weighed the risks and considered that I was eating like **** before starting IP and decided it was worth it for me since it wouldn't be a lifetime thing.
__________________

Mini goal 1: 199lbs (3/10/13)
Mini goal 2: 174 lbs
Mini goal 3: 149 lbs
End goal: 120 lbs
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:03 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2