Old 10-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #1  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Question Anyone doing the Alternative Protocol Phase 1? (this is not about alternative food)

I had a long chat with my coach at my WI this week. I have been having cheats here and there, and because of that my weight loss has obviously stalled. She suggested I try the Alternative protocol where once a day I get one serving of fruit, dairy and starch (never together, but each at a separate meal). She thinks this might satisfy me more and then I won't be as prone to cheat.

My concern is that my weight loss will slow right down and it will take me forever to lose these last 8 pounds. Then again I've had about 8 lbs to lose since August sometime so what's the difference.

Any opinions or suggestions? Has anyone else switched part way through the program? How much did your weight loss slow down? Any experiences one might be willing to share would really help! Thank you!

Last edited by knm; 10-29-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: found a similar thread - please delete this. tks!
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #2  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

I think you will be even more likely to cheat on alternative plan. In ketosis you are not supposed to feel hungry (or if you do it's only very temporary hunger and not the type of craving that hunts you forever until you give in...) and on alternative plan you are not in ketosis. The alternative plan seemed very appealing to me, but after I tried it (for one day) I realized that it's actually worse, in terms of giving you cravings for foods that you can't have - either can't have as much of as you want, or not until the next day, etc. That was my experience with it anyway.

I think that, if you are truly determined to lose those 8 pounds, it would be better if you did only the non-restricted packets and veggies for 3 weeks, and maybe do some exercise, like walking every day, and then they should really be come off and you can go on to phase 2, 3, and 4. Just force yourself to not cheat for 3 weeks. Or else, if you can't-not cheat, then just go right over to phase 2 and just end the phase 1 that's not working any more for you. Being in phase 4 whe3n you get there, means that every now and then you will have to do phase 1 anyway, so maybe you can make it for a week or two now and then without cheating. And who knows, by doing that, maybe you can bring yourself down to the exact weight you want to be.

I don't know if these suggestions are bad or good - use your judgement!
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #3  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

I have been on the alternate plan since day one. I lost 100 pounds in about 12 weeks. It has helped me to stay focused and not feel deprived.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #4  
SWP

S/C/G: 177.8/169.8/160

Height: 5'7"

Anyone doing the Alternative/Athletic Protocol still around by any chance? If so, how has your experience been? Is the weight loss really slow? How often do you work out?

There seem to be multiple alternative/athletic protocols out there, which one are you on?
SWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWP View Post
Anyone doing the Alternative/Athletic Protocol still around by any chance? If so, how has your experience been? Is the weight loss really slow? How often do you work out?

There seem to be multiple alternative/athletic protocols out there, which one are you on?
The Alternative Protocol (for diabetics/hypoglycemics and people who don't tolerate the regular Phase 1 protocol) and the Athletic Protocol are two completely different plans.

On the Alternative protocol, because of blood sugar issues you are allowed some fruit, dairy and grain but in VERY controlled amounts and at specific intervals of the day.

On the Athletic Protocol, you are given more packets and different quantities of food, but the food restrictions are the same. It has a slightly higher daily calorie intake to allow for exercise on Phase 1 that is more intense than what regular Phase 1 can handle.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote