Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 285/285/200

Height: 5'7"

Default Thank you for sharing

I'm starting to figure this out ....I think.....
The font thing is confusing though....
Now I see how the "quote works. Inspring stories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Congratulations! You have been so inspiring and helpful for all of us. I'm so happy for you. I'll be joining you all in maintenance in a couple months it looks like and I've been reading the posts there - so consider me a lurker :-) Remember though, we're not JUST phase one folk here in the 50+ group. We're FABULOUS 50+ and that means you! and all of our members here.

Alright - totally "me" stuff to follow - sorry,

Kale chips are in the oven! I tried on the dress I was married in (small home wedding 30 years ago this November- no "wedding dress", just a dress) and it's about one size down from where I am now. It goes on - but isn't fitting nicely - yet :-) However, I am wearing some size 16 jeans today I had a great WI too, down 3.8 lbs. The only difference I did was to drink more than enough water daily instead of barely enough. so 120 oz vrs the 72 I was drinking. Maybe it was the exercise running to the bathroom? Anyway I'll keep it up and see if next week is a good one as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #77  

Default Newbie me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatkat View Post

I guess I figured out how to use the carrot, huh?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #78  

Testing, one, two, three.....
Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #79  

There is also a preview button. I use it frequently to ensure my posts look the way I want before posting.
It might help with the learning process.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM   #80  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
I just signed up tonight and don't really know what I am doing.....just read your comments, wow, congratulations! I wish I weighed 140 again, I weighed 135 when I got married in 1974. I weighed 200 ten years ago, if I can get back to that, maybe I'll go back to 135? Thank you for sharing, I think your journey has been remarkable.
Welcome, chatkat! You can do this! It's a great program!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #81  
Started Jan. 22. 2013

S/C/G: 373/359/273

Dear HalfAgain,
In seven weeks I have lost 24 lbs.
Overall I am very pleased with the diet (new way of eating) however, I do have one troubling thought and it's about the loose fat that I will have when I lose all the weight. Plastic surgery is something that I do not want to do either. My first goal is to lose 123 lbs. but my 2nd goal is to lose a total of 174 lbs. I realize that my question is a little personal but ... with exercise does the skin tighten up ?...Congratulations on the weight loss; it certainly motivates me knowing that it is possible.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #82  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Question for golden girls...

Hi all.. Early on, my weekly losses were small.. +/- the 2 lb range. I was harboring a sinus infection...but still hoped for a bigger kick off. At any rate I was losing inches at a pretty good clip, and was not as appreciative of that as I should have been! Now I'm losing +/-3 lbs a week...(YAY)...but the inches have slowed down. I haven't lost ANY inches in about 3 weeks. I started this on Jan 10th...and have lost 10 inches around my waist and 5 on my hips before stalling.

Is this common? Do you see the lbs and inches go in fits and starts? It's been just a little over two months...so I'm not complaining..... Just wondering...

Last edited by 65X65; 03-17-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #83  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
Hi!

I briefly stopped by a while back. I was trying to get back on plan while having a nervous break down...Well, had another major stress - DM who has alzheimers has breast cancer and is going through chemo...I just had to go with my favorite illegal substances - IP illegal that is, perfectly legal in US! So I'm here taking it one hour at a time. My favorite off plan things I don't keep in the house. But I find myself scraping the bottom of the barrel. You ladies sound like you are doing well. I have gained back 18 lbs and have to lose it!

Goldilocks, I'm right there with you. Actually my sons (24 and 27) grew up and left home so I'm not "sandwich" anymore - just joyless. My DPs both with Alzheimers and other things. It is endless. And I am exhausted. But I was reading a self help book "Now What?" and had to make a list of things I hate. And there was, "I hate that I gained back 18 lbs!" So I'm trying hard not to comfort myself with those evil things at the end of the day. And I'm going to try to find the time to see my coach. I'm entering the bewitching hours now! Thanks for listening.
Life certainly doesn't come stress-free does it! Sorry to hear about the health problems that your DP are coping with. Many of us here have noted our trials with emotional eating. It's important to stop and recognize the triggers... think about what's actually the cause of the desire to reach for that 'illegal' food item. And decide to do something about it, other than eat. Early on in my journey here I found a book by Linda Spangle very useful - it's called 'Life is Hard, Food is Easy, The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating'. Made me think about my automatic reflex to eat when I'm experiencing certain emotions or situations, and you might find it useful as well. Meanwhile, I hope you are able to see your coach and re-light your dieting motivation.

I've found 'Shrink Yourself' - both the book, and the online counselling resource, to be another very good resource for identifying and getting control over emotional eating behaviours. You can learn about it at
http://www.shrinkyourself.com/

Quote:
I just signed up tonight and don't really know what I am doing.....just read your comments, wow, congratulations! I wish I weighed 140 again, I weighed 135 when I got married in 1974. I weighed 200 ten years ago, if I can get back to that, maybe I'll go back to 135? Thank you for sharing, I think your journey has been remarkable.
Thanks Chatkat! You can do it!!

Quote:

Quote:
I guess I figured out how to use the carrot, huh?
Quote:
Testing, one, two, three.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Welcome, chatkat! You can do this! It's a great program!
Looks like you're getting the hang of it. As Lisa suggested, using the 'Preview Post' button is very useful. That way you can review what you've typed in before you actually post it here in a message. Come here often - it's a fantastic place for support and motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Hi all.. Early on, my weekly losses were small.. +/- the 2 lb range. I was harboring a sinus infection...but still hoped for a bigger kick off. At any rate I was losing inches at a pretty good clip, and was not as appreciative of that as I should have been! Now I'm losing +/-3 lbs a week...(YAY)...but the inches have slowed down. I haven't lost ANY inches in about 3 weeks. I started this on Jan 10th...and have lost 10 inches around my waist and 5 on my hips before stalling.

Is this common? Do you see the lbs and inches go in fits and starts? It's been just a little over two months...so I'm not complaining..... Just wondering...
Hi again 65x65. You're losing in places that you wouldn't even think of measuring. I didn't keep track of the inches over the months as closely as the pounds going down, week by week. But I do know that it varies... don't stress about it. I'd say it's normal to have these 'fits and starts'. In the end it all evens out, as long as you stay OP. The important thing is to have faith in the process, stay OP, and keep on keepin' in.

-----
Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone!!

Last edited by evepet; 03-17-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #84  

S/C/G: 157/136.5/140

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Good morning everyone, sounds like a great group to join, I'm not 50 yet but I'll be there in a couple of months so I hope you'll let me join Joined ip march 7 and my first weigh in was 5 lbs lost. I only want to lose 21 lbs. At this age it is definitely a bigger challenge to lose weight but this really works if you work it. It's amazing how I'm not hungry at night and at this point, no cravings yay!!!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #85  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABue1 View Post
Good morning everyone, sounds like a great group to join, I'm not 50 yet but I'll be there in a couple of months so I hope you'll let me join Joined ip march 7 and my first weigh in was 5 lbs lost. I only want to lose 21 lbs. At this age it is definitely a bigger challenge to lose weight but this really works if you work it. It's amazing how I'm not hungry at night and at this point, no cravings yay!!!!!
Hi there ABue1 - and Welcome! This is a great group - check in frequently. You're off to a good start.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #86  

Quote:
Good morning everyone, sounds like a great group to join, I'm not 50 yet but I'll be there in a couple of months so I hope you'll let me join. Joined ip march 7 and my first weigh in was 5 lbs lost. I only want to lose 21 lbs. At this age it is definitely a bigger challenge to lose weight but this really works if you work it. It's amazing how I'm not hungry at night and at this point, no cravings yay!!!!!
Hey! My mom lost 40 at age 72 last year from June to Oct. I've lost 70+ since Aug (I just turned 50 last week). We can do it!
If you joined 3/7, you should be past the craving point and well into Ketosis. This is the easiest diet I've ever done.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #87  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:

You are doing great! Looks like you have the hang of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel3 View Post
Dear HalfAgain,
In seven weeks I have lost 24 lbs.
Overall I am very pleased with the diet (new way of eating) however, I do have one troubling thought and it's about the loose fat that I will have when I lose all the weight. Plastic surgery is something that I do not want to do either. My first goal is to lose 123 lbs. but my 2nd goal is to lose a total of 174 lbs. I realize that my question is a little personal but ... with exercise does the skin tighten up ?...Congratulations on the weight loss; it certainly motivates me knowing that it is possible.
Hi Rachel, well - I'm still in the weight loss phase, and I do have a lot of loose skin. I know loosing weight this fast my skin can't keep up. I have not started exercising yet in a routine, meaningful way. I hear it helps, but I can only bulk up so much muscle :-) I'm sure it won't make up for all space that was filled with fat. Clothing really covers it well, and just this weekend my family was going on about how they couldn't tell - lol and I wasn't going to show them! But it definitely will be Capri's for me this summer and either some light cover ups with sleeves or 3/4 length sleeves this summer for the arms when I'm public. Around home - heck shorts and tank tops are okay, not like hubby hasn't seen/touched my body with all my flaws- and he loves me anyway. He's actually more interested in touching now then before, so that assures me he's not as weirded out by this loose skin as I am.

There are different diets, methods, etc to lose weight slower, giving the skin time to heal and adjust - however none of those other ways have worked for me long term for various reasons (not that I didn't lose weight when I followed them religiously - but because they were hard for me to stick to them). This IP diet works, fast, easy to understand, and I'm taking as much advantage of this momentum to carry me to my goal. I expect that in the next couple years after I get to goal, the skin will absorb somewhat - I don't expect a miracle and have it all go away. I'd rather be a healthy weight (for about the first time in my life) with baggy skin, than to be plump and smooth skinned.

Quote:
Welcome ABue! Nice first weigh in, congratulations! :-) you and I have about the same amount left to reach goal!

Hey all, back from the farm with 3 dozen farm eggs from my parents chickens. I didn't get my water in yesterday :-( driving for 2 hours there and 2 hours back I just didn't want to make potty stops. While there I had a few herbal teas, but had to caffeine up for the drive home so I'm sure I nullified what water I got in.

Last edited by Halfagain; 03-17-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #88  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
First, I want to give you a Sounds like you're going through a lot right now. You're doing wonderfully well with the diet - you certainly have every right to be proud of yourself. When you're able to swing it time-wise, maybe do something relaxing for yourself... maybe a nice massage?

Thank you! I think I will definitely do a nice massage when I hit 50 pounds lost! This is a fabulous idea. We have a couple of swishy spas near here that would fit the bill and DH would love it if I went!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelee10 View Post
Hi!

Goldilocks, I'm right there with you. Actually my sons (24 and 27) grew up and left home so I'm not "sandwich" anymore - just joyless. My DPs both with Alzheimers and other things. It is endless. And I am exhausted. But I was reading a self help book "Now What?" and had to make a list of things I hate. And there was, "I hate that I gained back 18 lbs!" So I'm trying hard not to comfort myself with those evil things at the end of the day. And I'm going to try to find the time to see my coach. I'm entering the bewitching hours now! Thanks for listening.
I am sorry you are joyless. That is so sad. I hear you on being exhausted! I know people who no longer have their parents, and I try to be thankful that I still have mine, even though they have so many needs.

I bet you will get those pounds off!

I want to report that I had the BEST veggie for dinner tonight (and big thanks to Rainbow Smiles for inspiring this in her recipe collection). I bought a jicama last week and it was not that fresh when I cut into it (bummer, I hate that!) so I didn't love it raw the way I usually eat it. Tonight I cut it up and sliced it with the mandolin slicer. I spread it out on a jelly roll pan on parchment paper and put a oil, stevia and cinnamon. I put them in the oven at 400 for 45 minutes. OMG, when I tried it I was amazed. It tasted just like apples and so wonderful! I really missed tasting something like this--Amazing!!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 280/175/140

Height: 5' 4"

Default Saggy Skin ??

I'm 54 -- I've lost alot of weight -- and still have about 30-35 to goal ! I have some saggy skin in my upper arm, knees and thigh area.... Is anyone else experiencing this? What are you doing for it? I'm keeping hydrated - drinking lots of water. I bought collagen cream and I moisturize daily !! It's very worrisome to think I won't be able to wear sleeveless shirts or shorts this summer (and forget about a bathing suit) !!
Old 03-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #90  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikathy58 View Post
I'm 54 -- I've lost alot of weight -- and still have about 30-35 to goal ! I have some saggy skin in my upper arm, knees and thigh area.... Is anyone else experiencing this? What are you doing for it? I'm keeping hydrated - drinking lots of water. I bought collagen cream and I moisturize daily !! It's very worrisome to think I won't be able to wear sleeveless shirts or shorts this summer (and forget about a bathing suit) !!
I'm 50. I've lost 70+ lbs and am about 40 to goal.
I've lost 10 inches off bust, waist, hips (each). I've lost 5.5 off each leg
I've only lost 1" off each arm and they're pretty flabby

What am I doing about it?
Continuing to lose weight and working on acceptance. I did this damage to my body. Some of it I'll recover from, some of it is "war wounds" I'll live with. My legs are pretty dimply but I hope between the yoga I'm doing to build some muscle underneath and losing the last 40 lbs, some of that will go.

There is also a cellulite protocol to do AFTER getting to goal (you can search for it on the site). I'll evaluate when I get to that point.

Exercise won't fix loose skin. It'll build muscle support underneath but won't fix saggy skin. This is why people get plastic surgery. The other thing I'm going to do is wait. Give my body an additional year to re-absorb skin it doesn't need. I know it won't get it all but it should help some.
Closed Thread