3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Sausage for Phase 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68

Default Sausage for Phase 1

Does anyone know if there is a brand of Sausage that is acceptable for Phase 1? I could really go for some sausage and peppers!
__________________
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Joined IP 9/26/12
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 265

S/C/G: 212/171/145

Height: 5'9"/33 yo

Default

Sausage tends to be quite high in fat, so it is probably difficult to find. My sister recently referred me to this reciple. If you use lean ground turkey, it should be fine. Maybe check with one of the experts on whether ground ginger is ok or not as a spice.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-tu...e7=Home%20Page
__________________
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/]
benice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,623

S/C/G: 289/180.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Default

I would stay away from it, personally. We're trying to stay low-fat as well as low-carb. Sausages are generally processed and a serving size is probably only 2 oz. Since we need 8 oz per day you would need to quadruple the serving size.

I have seen sausage that's made with only white meat chicken breast and spices. If you really feel you need it I would only have 2 oz for flavor then have 6 oz of some other approved protein.
__________________
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
IP start date 12/12/12
 
mrskuby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 344

S/C/G: 185.8/182.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Default

I make my own sausage so I have been having it once in a while but no too often since it is high in sodium...
__________________

WEEK 1: 3LBS
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Started IP 12-26-2012
 
leannekarella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 469

Height: 5'7"

Default

You can find recipes easily enough to make your own. There is none I have been able to find that is IP friendly. Even Jenny-O turkey sausage is way too high in fat (anything over 30% of calories of fat is too high)

Here's a site for lean sausage recipes: http://homecooking.about.com/library...fatsausage.htm

But look at the serving size. Even with the light recipes, it's around 2oz servings.
__________________


One for every 5 lbs

Last edited by leannekarella : 03-07-2013 at 01:15 PM.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Member
 
lcheech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 76

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Default

my father-in-law makes homemade sausage. I've had it 3 times in the last 5 weeks of being OP. It hasn't hurt me in any way. but again its as pure as it can be. no fillers, no sugars, very low sodium.
__________________
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
Started IP 2/13/13
 
SylviesGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic Region
Posts: 589

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
my father-in-law makes homemade sausage. I've had it 3 times in the last 5 weeks of being OP. It hasn't hurt me in any way. but again its as pure as it can be. no fillers, no sugars, very low sodium.
Tell him you know some nice IPers who would love to take some off his hands!
__________________



NO GRIT, NO PEARL.
SylviesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Battleford, SK. Canada
Posts: 150

S/C/G: 395/241.5/250

Height: 6'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcheech View Post
my father-in-law makes homemade sausage. I've had it 3 times in the last 5 weeks of being OP. It hasn't hurt me in any way. but again its as pure as it can be. no fillers, no sugars, very low sodium.

The wife and I contemplating making our own IP friendly versions as well. We currently make our own beef and pork sausage anyway - so it wouldn't take much imho to adjust the recipes into an IP friendly version.
Spiritman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
Reboot 9/2014
 
scorbett1103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,692

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Default

There are a few problems with store bought sausage:
- they are VERY high in fat
- they are full of fillers (cartilage, starch, etc)
- You need to eat multiple servings to get the right amount of protein, which jacks up your fat, salt and carb intake.

If you make your own, you know exactly what has gone into it and can be sure you're using lean meat. But if that's not an option, what I have recommended is to use 2oz sausage and 4-6oz of another lean meat (lean ground beef, ground chicken/turkey, chopped chicken, etc) when making your dishes - that way the sausage will flavor the dish, but not add too much of what we shouldn't be having.
__________________
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Member
 
lcheech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 76

S/C/G: 212/185/140

Height: 5'4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
Tell him you know some nice IPers who would love to take some off his hands!
If only I could send them to you.lol .. just befriend some oldschool Italians... they will feed you the good stuff. lol and the non-OP items. thats the most difficult part with my family. no pasta and pizza... and I mean the real authentic stuff. ((
__________________
lcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
td1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1

Default

I have been doing the low fat turkey sausage with no problems. Walmart also has some flavored chicken sausage (buffalo & italian) that is pretty good. if you get the flavored sausage though there is 1-2 carbs per patty. So i just choose a lower carb snack for the day. Oh they are only 3.5oz so you need a little more on your other protein.

My basic limits are 4oz = >15g protein <15g fat <250 calories

That said most of my meat is <150cal <10g fat >22g protein

I use 4oz since i break up the 8oz in 2 meals.
td1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 68

Default

Well you all inspired me to make my own! I found this turkey sausage recipe out on the interweb somewhere! I did cook them on a Foreman grill instead of the frying pan, they came out much better and I didn't have to use extra oil or butter, instead used PAM spray to make them not stick. They didn't seem to cook evenly enough for me in a frying pan.

I made 1oz patties out of these then I whipped up a batch of Finn's IP Fluffy Potato Rolls, made 6 of them instead of 5. When the rolls were done I let them cool just a bit until they unpuffed a bit, then made 3 little sausage biscuits with cheese out of them! Each muffin was a side, it seemed impossible to cut these rolls in half. I took 1 slice of veggie cheese and quartered it, used 3 squares and saved the last for the next day! These are my new weekend breakfast! They are awesome!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon seasoning salt or smoked salt (I used our IP Salt)
1 teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of cayenne (optional)
1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon of SF Syrup
-1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)


Instructions:
Place ground turkey in a large bowl; set aside.
Mix together spices.
Add spices to ground turkey and mix until spices are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Mix in olive oil if using. (this adds extra moisture)
Shape turkey sausage into small 1 oz patties.
Fry up a small sample patty to test out the seasonings. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a bit of olive oil and I can't believe its not butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
Place sausages into the hot skillet and cook until until browned and the middle is no longer pink.
Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the patty.
Be careful not to overcook or the sausages will be dry in texture.
Let sausage drain on paper towels.
Serve or freeze.

Yes below picture only has 2! That's because the third one is in MA BELLY!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolls.jpg (4.5 KB, 211 views)
__________________

Last edited by Dolemite : 03-20-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Delgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 806

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Does anyone know if there is a brand of Sausage that is acceptable for Phase 1? I could really go for some sausage and peppers!
II have made my own with Turkey (ground). Get the super lean. I added some garlic powder, allspice and fennell. Excellent. I think I got the recipe on these threads...the recipe threads.
__________________


Cindy

Reboot!

One for every 5 pounds gone


Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
ladylunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 274

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon seasoning salt or smoked salt (I used our IP Salt)
1 teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of cayenne (optional)
1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon of SF Syrup
-1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (option
Yes below picture only has 2! That's because the third one is in MA BELLY!


Thanks for recipe just made up a batch to try tonight. Similar to the ones I made with chicken earlier in the week, but with the addition of cloves, pepper flakes, thyme, cayene, we will see how these ones taste. I also added two green onions to the mix because I love onions.
__________________
I just upped my ticker by 41 lbs since April. Time to do something about it.
ladylunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #15
Started IP 1/10/13
 
Desafinado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 204

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
Well you all inspired me to make my own! I found this turkey sausage recipe out on the interweb somewhere! I did cook them on a Foreman grill instead of the frying pan, they came out much better and I didn't have to use extra oil or butter, instead used PAM spray to make them not stick. They didn't seem to cook evenly enough for me in a frying pan.

I made 1oz patties out of these then I whipped up a batch of Finn's IP Fluffy Potato Rolls, made 6 of them instead of 5. When the rolls were done I let them cool just a bit until they unpuffed a bit, then made 3 little sausage biscuits with cheese out of them! Each muffin was a side, it seemed impossible to cut these rolls in half. I took 1 slice of veggie cheese and quartered it, used 3 squares and saved the last for the next day! These are my new weekend breakfast! They are awesome!

Ingredients
1 lb ground turkey
1 teaspoon seasoning salt or smoked salt (I used our IP Salt)
1 teaspoon black pepper
teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of clove
pinch of red pepper flakes
pinch of cayenne (optional)
1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon of SF Syrup
-1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
1 Tablespoon olive oil (optional)


Instructions:
Place ground turkey in a large bowl; set aside.
Mix together spices.
Add spices to ground turkey and mix until spices are evenly distributed throughout the meat.
Mix in olive oil if using. (this adds extra moisture)
Shape turkey sausage into small 1 oz patties.
Fry up a small sample patty to test out the seasonings. Adjust the seasoning if needed.
Refrigerate overnight.
Heat a bit of olive oil and I can't believe its not butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
Place sausages into the hot skillet and cook until until browned and the middle is no longer pink.
Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the patty.
Be careful not to overcook or the sausages will be dry in texture.
Let sausage drain on paper towels.
Serve or freeze.

Yes below picture only has 2! That's because the third one is in MA BELLY!

I'm responding to this mainly so I can find this recipe again later when I need some sausage. YUM!
__________________

Mini goal 1: 199lbs (3/10/13)
Mini goal 2: 174 lbs
Mini goal 3: 149 lbs
End goal: 120 lbs
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2