3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

not a fan of my coach

Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

S/C/G: 198/184.4/145

Height: 5'7

Default not a fan of my coach

So what do you do when you are not a fan of your coach?? She is kind of mean and makes me uncomfortable. I went to someone else, but they want me to go back to her. I need someone I can talk to and tell them things I am struggling with. I am losing weight, but it's 1 to 2 pounds a week and they are concerned because I should be losing more...is what they say. This is my second time doing this, I am following the plan. Do you lose slower the second time?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
IP start Aug 2012

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

In a perfect world all coaches would know just the right thing to say. We certainly all deserve it! Losing weight is hard enough without having to deal with someone difficult. You are the customer. If you prefer one coach, remind them who is the paying customer and tell the you'll only be able to continue if you can choose your coach.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I see it over & over on this site. Luckily we all have each other so we can learn from each other and learn we don't have to "take it" when we feel like we are being mistreated.

As far as losing slower, this is my first time on IP, however there is known evidence that there is a "golden opportunity" on Atkins and people who re-try lose slower. It seems you can't trick your body twice. I'm wondering if that is why my losses are slower than some other folks. I doesn't matter tho, I'll still "get there"

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

S/C/G: 198/184.4/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
In a perfect world all coaches would know just the right thing to say. We certainly all deserve it! Losing weight is hard enough without having to deal with someone difficult. You are the customer. If you prefer one coach, remind them who is the paying customer and tell the you'll only be able to continue if you can choose your coach.

I'm so sorry this is happening. I see it over & over on this site. Luckily we all have each other so we can learn from each other and learn we don't have to "take it" when we feel like we are being mistreated.

As far as losing slower, this is my first time on IP, however there is known evidence that there is a "golden opportunity" on Atkins and people who re-try lose slower. It seems you can't trick your body twice. I'm wondering if that is why my losses are slower than some other folks. I doesn't matter tho, I'll still "get there"
Thanks!! I am still losing every week and I'm happy with that, now I am feeling all this pressure and once again not feeling "good enough". I really don't want to go back to this coach but will give it one more shot, if she is still mean I will switch centers...but I hate to do that since I spent so much money joining this one. Thanks for making me feel better. It is such a struggle, I just want someone who I can talk to...just doesn't seem too much to ask for. I should be a coach, I would be a great one!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #4

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

This is a pet peeve of mine as well as I have struggled with coaches who weren't very helpful. I will never understand how many of us have had bad experiences with coaches. I am an RN and if there were that many crabby, rude, clueless nurses out there, **** I wouldn't want to be a patient!!!

Ditto what Lisa said. It took me awhile to talk to my coach and I do like her, but it is no love fest. And since I started alternatives, I don't think I'll be seeing her much longer.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
IP- a journey; not a race

S/C/G: 245/188/168

Height: 5'4" 41yo

Danif - sorry for your struggles with your coach. I don't know this for a fact, but it seems I've read about others on 3FC that were able to switch to a new clinic when the one they originally started with wasn't working out for them. So, maybe if you still aren't satisfied with your coach after giving her "one more try" you can call another local IP clinic. Explain to them your situation and see if they might work with you by allowing you to transfer. They will still make money off of your weekly purchases of IP food. Good Luck and try to follow your gut - you know what you need and you deserve to find a coach who is going to motivate and inspire you! Please, let us know how things turn out. Jen
Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #6

S/C/G: 250/250/175

Height: 5'7"

Danif - I've worked with 4 different clinics and had varied experiences. One thing is for sure, if you don't have a supportive coach, it will be a struggle - It was for me anyway. I just restarted Ip and have lost 6 lbs in 4 days. So far this is similar to my other 1st week results but only time will tell if my loss is slower this time. I love my newest coach - very realistic and cost conscious which is unusual. Hang in there - stay focused......you got this!
loser444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #7

S/C/G: (Reboot) 297/See Ticker/220

Height: 6' 2"

Wow! Sorry you got a crappy coach!! I hadn't thought how tough that would be until now because the two ladies that look after me are amazing! They are always a 100% supportive and helpful and I never get any pressure to buy stuff or anything like that.

I will say that most of my knowledge and ideas come from 3FC. Being part of the "man thread" has definitely been a major plus in keeping me OP!!

leadedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Getting there!

S/C/G: 197.8/ticker/159

Height: 5'6

I too have a "bland" coach who I am not connecting with and I think it would be too awkward to say something. This clinic is the only one around so I will use this board as my motivator but it seems unfortunate to not have that happy dance with me and a good cheerleader every week. Boards like this have been really important to my weight loss successes in the past.
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #9

S/C/G: 197/195/160

Height: 5.6

I dont have a coach at all and wish I did. The place I go to you just weight and buy food thats it. I have learnt everything I know from all of you

I do feel if 3FC was not on line I probably would have never started this IP diet . So a BIG Thank you to you all
heritagesoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #10

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

When I first started IP was not happy at all with my coach. I had started in October and told him that I would be taking a trip to Jamaica in December and wanted to know what I could do on my trip his reply was "you stay here, I'll go to Jamiaca" and then he laughed and never addressed my concerns. After my initial visit the only time I saw the coach was if he happened to be passing by as I bought my food. He had this ridiculous bell that he wanted clients to ring when they had a loss, I suspect that was so he knew he had an IP customer in and would make an appearance after the receptionist did the weighing and measuring and taking my money. If it wasn't for 3FC I wouldn't have learned anything. I even shared info like recipes from 3FC with him and now I hear he charges new clients for the recipes!

One for every 5 pounds lost.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #11

S/C/G: 219/165/130

Height: 5'1''

Hi Danif,
I am losing slower on IP this time around. I had read about the "golden opportunity" back in 2010 when I first was on IP and I'm now wondering if this is what is happening. However, I am determined, still on program and moving along.

I have stopped weighing so much -only once a week now- (I am coachless but I come here regularly for support and help) and focus on the choices I am making this time around and how I am handling the emotional eating urges (making better choices, like throwing in a meditation/light yoga dvd, drinking lots of cold water, coming to the forum here) and I think that is far more important for life than a rapid, regular loss.

I will get there and when I do get there, I won't go back. There is so much more involved in this than just weight loss. I know this has been discussed before, but it is worth mentioning again as most people focus on numbers going down. We got here for reasons that also need to be addressed and resolved or we will just go right back up after the program ends.

If you feel comfortable doing it-I would leave the clinic. Order a good scale off Amazon, your food online and come here daily for coaching. No more coach nonsense and you will save money.

WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #12

S/C/G: 221.6/166.6/105

Height: 4 10

So sorry for your struggles. Have you tried talking to whoever is in charge of the center? You need to be comfortable with your coach and your coach needs to support you.

This week was the first time I had a horrible experience with a coach, and it was because my appointment got changed due to the snow. I've never weighed in with this woman and she scrutinized my food journal and told me I am doing IP all wrong. I hardly lost anything this week because I have a cold, not because of food - it was a fairly typical week for me and I've lost almost 30 lbs in 10 weeks. I am not discrediting the center because of this experience. My usual coach is amazing and wonderfully supportive.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #13

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMolly View Post
I even shared info like recipes from 3FC with him and now I hear he charges new clients for the recipes!
If that wasn't so pathetic it would be funny. How brazen of him!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #14
Ideal Protein Diet

S/C/G: 157/138/115

Height: 5'2"

Do you have the option to speak to the owner of the center? Maybe they don't know about problems with this coach. Any good business owner would want the opportunity to keep you and certainly to address issues with a coach who is driving customers away.

Since I will likely move and possibly out of the area before finishing the program, when I started (early Feb.) I asked what would happen if I moved before finishing the program. She said that the centers have an agreement to accept transfers. I didn't ask any more questions, but I interpreted that to mean that I would not have to pay another initial consult fee. (My center charges $100 for the first session. I didn't feel I got value for that fee but they don't charge weekly and you can call between coaching sessions with questions.)

From what I am reading in this and other threads a couple weeks ago, I have the impression that different centers charge differently. Is that right? Are any of you paying weekly fees for weigh-ins and coaching?
Tailwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwinds View Post
From what I am reading in this and other threads a couple weeks ago, I have the impression that different centers charge differently. Is that right? Are any of you paying weekly fees for weigh-ins and coaching?
This is very true.

The thing to remember is that Ideal Protein clinics are NOT employees of IP - they are franchise owners. They basically sign contracts to get the right to sell the program, the rest they can determine for themselves.

I have seen people post that they are charged for weigh ins, for "extra" measurements like the body composition scale....the clinic I started in did not charge for anything other than the initial consultation and the food.

Regarding transferring - I would be shocked if your clinic TRULY had an agreement in place with other clinics. Maybe with other local clinics, but because the clinics are independently owned and operated it would be difficult for one clinic to set up transfer arrangements with all clinics outside their area. However if you know where you are moving to, it would probably be helpful to call the IP clinics in the area and find out who would be willing to take you on without charging another initial fee.
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.