3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Dr. Tran's book: "Ideal Protein...Because it's your Life"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
Member
 
claygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 213/188/163

Height: 5'5"

Default Dr. Tran's book: "Ideal Protein...Because it's your Life"

So I read his book yesterday. Not sure if you have had a chance to read it, but the beginning chapter is about psychology and dieting...how the relationship with food is closely tied to emotions. Thought this was worth stating:

"Patients must successfully apply the notions of understanding and compassion to themselves. To do this, they must be strong enough to ask the real questions. What happened in my career or personal life that is leading me to seek comfort in food? From what or from whom am I protecting myself by eating senselessly? What do I really need: food, chocolate, or something else...?"

If I get a desire to eat when I shouldnt be hungry I ask myself this question and usually come up with a good answer. Just my 2 cents. (:
claygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
IPdivajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 674

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Default

I read it too and it was a good reminder that there's so much more to this that the simple matter of what packets we choose. Getting there is one thing - it's everything that happens later that will be the true measure of our success.
__________________

Started IP March 1, 2012 Goal 1- 29lbs - March 27. Goal 2- 45lbs - April 25. Goal 3- 65lbs - May 29.
Goal 4- 82lbs - July 3. Goal 5 - 100lbs - August 7. Goal 6 - 129lbs - October 9. Break from October 17 to January 2. FINISH LINE - lose 153lbs - in progress. Forever in progress.

IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
Started IP 12-26-2012
 
leannekarella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 469

Height: 5'7"

Default

Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

Today was a truly BAD day, and as I was driving home, I really wanted to pull into any fast food place and buy French fries.

I did not.

I'm also an ex-smoker, so I have gone through this before and overcome...

It does make me re-evaluate what my triggers are, and today in general was one of them. Six months ago, I would have gotten a huge burger and huge fries to "make me feel better" about things.

I have not read his book, but I've gone through enough therapy to know that first you need to understand the problem before you can then change the mindset and deal with it.

I am feeling pretty good about making it home without getting fries tonight!
__________________


One for every 5 lbs
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
PCOS. Started IP 3/8/13
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: IL
Posts: 123

S/C/G: 285/247.1/165

Height: 5'7"

Default

Well done Leanne! Each time you conquer the trigger/compulsion it will make you stronger for the next temptation.

Claygirl, thanks for posting this. I wasn't aware there was a book, and it's so easy to just focus on following the "rules". This thread is a good reminder to be thinking about the psychology/emotional aspect as well.
rubygirl05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
IPdivajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 674

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Default

Well done, Leanne! I think we all know those days. We call them the 'I want to eat the everything!!!' days.

Another great book? http://www.amazon.ca/You-Are-WHY-Eat.../dp/0762782455 Highly recommended reading before phasing off.
__________________

Started IP March 1, 2012 Goal 1- 29lbs - March 27. Goal 2- 45lbs - April 25. Goal 3- 65lbs - May 29.
Goal 4- 82lbs - July 3. Goal 5 - 100lbs - August 7. Goal 6 - 129lbs - October 9. Break from October 17 to January 2. FINISH LINE - lose 153lbs - in progress. Forever in progress.

IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Started IP 1/21/13
 
Blessed900711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southaven, MS
Posts: 46

S/C/G: 213/160/140

Height: 5'5

Default

Yes, great job Leanne! I know I have felt the same way..wanting to get rid of that feeling of being overwhelmed and stressed and wanting to turn to food for comfort! Good for you that you didn't give in!
Blessed900711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Member
 
DoingitDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Delightful Denver
Posts: 45

S/C/G: 222/192/165

Height: 5'9"

Default

This forum is great! Today was Day 1 for me...so far so good. I did have a bit of a headache this afternoon, but went away pretty quick as I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So for you expert losers here is what I consumed today...let me know how it could be better and/or what i did right.

Earl Grey Tea with 2 splenda and TBS of 2% milk
RTD Chocolate
2 c. Steamed veggies (went to a a restaurant)
Earl Grey Tea- 1 Splenda
RTD Strawbery-Bannana IP
7oz Roast Beef- made in a dutch oven in the oven
2c. Celery cooked with the roast beef
Earl Grey Tea- 3 splendas 1TBS 2% milk
RTD Chocolate

Thanks for any advice and being here for us newbies!
DoingitDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
WorldTraveleronIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 219/189/130

Height: 5'1''

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by claygirl View Post
So I read his book yesterday. Not sure if you have had a chance to read it, but the beginning chapter is about psychology and dieting...how the relationship with food is closely tied to emotions. Thought this was worth stating:

"Patients must successfully apply the notions of understanding and compassion to themselves. To do this, they must be strong enough to ask the real questions. What happened in my career or personal life that is leading me to seek comfort in food? From what or from whom am I protecting myself by eating senselessly? What do I really need: food, chocolate, or something else...?"

If I get a desire to eat when I shouldnt be hungry I ask myself this question and usually come up with a good answer. Just my 2 cents. (:
Where do you find this book? I don't see it on amazon or his website...
__________________

WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Lyme, CT
Posts: 41

S/C/G: 171.4/160.9/145

Height: 5"6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

Today was a truly BAD day, and as I was driving home, I really wanted to pull into any fast food place and buy French fries.

I did not.

I'm also an ex-smoker, so I have gone through this before and overcome...

It does make me re-evaluate what my triggers are, and today in general was one of them. Six months ago, I would have gotten a huge burger and huge fries to "make me feel better" about things.

I have not read his book, but I've gone through enough therapy to know that first you need to understand the problem before you can then change the mindset and deal with it.

I am feeling pretty good about making it home without getting fries tonight!
That is awesome! Good for you I hope today is a better day than yesterday!
lovetorun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 6,977

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Today was my first true test with an URGE. I've always been a stress eater-since I was a kid.

Today was a truly BAD day, and as I was driving home, I really wanted to pull into any fast food place and buy French fries.

I did not.

I'm also an ex-smoker, so I have gone through this before and overcome...

It does make me re-evaluate what my triggers are, and today in general was one of them. Six months ago, I would have gotten a huge burger and huge fries to "make me feel better" about things.

I have not read his book, but I've gone through enough therapy to know that first you need to understand the problem before you can then change the mindset and deal with it.

I am feeling pretty good about making it home without getting fries tonight!
The whole day was not a bad day.
You flexed the willpower muscle and strengthened it!
I'm a stress eater/food fixes everything girl, too so I KNOW what it takes to get thru tough times without heading straight to old behaviors.
Here's hoping yesterday is over and today is much better
YOU get to move forward knowing you made the best choice for your health! yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingitDeb View Post
This forum is great! Today was Day 1 for me...so far so good. I did have a bit of a headache this afternoon, but went away pretty quick as I remembered to drink, drink, drink my water. So for you expert losers here is what I consumed today...let me know how it could be better and/or what i did right.

Earl Grey Tea with 2 splenda and TBS of 2% milk
RTD Chocolate
2 c. Steamed veggies (went to a a restaurant)
Earl Grey Tea- 1 Splenda
RTD Strawbery-Bannana IP
7oz Roast Beef- made in a dutch oven in the oven
2c. Celery cooked with the roast beef
Earl Grey Tea- 3 splendas 1TBS 2% milk
RTD Chocolate
Deb: This is a great question for the daily thread (now weekend) . There is a new one every day. We usually post topic-related issues within threads. The daily is for chat and general questions.
You'll probably get the answers you're looking for there.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTraveleronIP View Post
Where do you find this book? I don't see it on amazon or his website...
The book is available at IP clinics (my coach ordered it for me and now has several copies)
I also found it on this website
http://idealproteinnova.blogspot.com...l-protein.html
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Maintaining for now, while we address thyroid healing

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Member
 
claygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 213/188/163

Height: 5'5"

Default

My coach gave me the book. Not sure from where though...but I can ask Monday.
claygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
WorldTraveleronIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 348

S/C/G: 219/189/130

Height: 5'1''

Default

The book is available at IP clinics (my coach ordered it for me and now has several copies)
I also found it on this website
http://idealproteinnova.blogspot.com...l-protein.html[/quote]

Thank you
__________________

WorldTraveleronIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #13
Member
 
claygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 51

S/C/G: 213/188/163

Height: 5'5"

Default

I thought this was a nice progression to keep in mind if it rings true for you...it does for me.

"When you're overweight, you don't like what you see in the mirror. You reject your body, which has become unrecognizable or was never accepted. After dieting for a few weeks and dropping about 10 pounds, a patient can stand herself, buoyed by the initial signs of success. Then, eventually she accepts herself by making the most of her new-found body." -dr tran

Not bad for a guy to understand! (:
claygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Success is Messy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 103

S/C/G: 250/195/190

Height: 5'11.5"

Default

There is also another Dr Tran book that is a free PDF online. It is the bases behind what he developed into IP. It helped me understand what is going on with my body.
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG...re_Dr_Tran.pdf
Success is Messy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
IP start 7/30/2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 6,977

S/C/G: 260.2/165

Height: 5'5"

Default

The PDF version was his first book. As with anyone I've followed in the lowcarb world, they "tweak" things as they learn & grow. (Dr Eades & Dr Atkins both did, to name two). There are updates in the new book.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)

Maintaining for now, while we address thyroid healing

lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2